Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 10:59   #46
BHPian

Re: Issue With Ford Fiesta Service - Bearing Issue

[mayankk]SO youve just been "told" by ford ASC that the bearing is faulty?
Anything telling you that it actually is? Hot hub, noise, rginds anything?
Actually I am not hearing any irritating sounds but two things
1. I will feel some vibrations in the steering wheel once I touch around 120 speed
2. Wheel alignment doesnt work right in the 1st attempt then the person will perform some adjustments with spanner, I am not sure if this is an indication.

Last edited by aravinrd : 28th June 2014 at 11:00. Reason: .
Old 1st July 2014, 16:04   #47
BHPian

Re: Rear bearing replacement at 43,000 kms?

1. is almost always due to worn out tires. Please check the tires and replace.
Old 7th August 2014, 17:47   #48
BHPian

Reviving this thread in order to seek help for a related issue in my Ford Fiesta - now Classic (4.5 years and 31K KM old).

For last 2 months, I am hearing more than normal sound while I try to drive at high speeds (> 80 kmph or 2000 rpms in 5th gear). The sound, as I initially suspected to be coming from engine, increases as the speed increases - it becomes more like a sound coming from a plane.

When I reported this matter today at Ford ASC, they diagnosed the problem as rear wheel bearing issue and advised me to replace both of them at a cost of 17K INR.

I am not very sure if they have diagnosed the problem correctly and I hence need your expert opinion regarding this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Posting from Ford Extended Warranty Policy
Attachment 1254415
Tire wear due to wheel bearing manufacturing defect is covered under extended warranty till 40k km. You should have raised this issue atleast 4k km earlier.

And why 10k for 1 front & 1 rear wheel bearings? IIRC I bought Front wheel bearing (ABS version) for 1400~1500 (Non ABS version is less than 900 INR & common with Ikon) and another 1000 as labor (including wheel alignment) If the car is out of warranty I would suggest to get it done from outside garage.
Dear Mr. Boss,

If I consider this really as a wheel bearing defect, can I claim it under warranty considering my ODO reads 31 K (though beyond the extended warranty period).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
SO youve just been "told" by ford ASC that the bearing is faulty?
Anything telling you that it actually is? Hot hub, noise, rginds anything?

As far as my experience with Ford's ASC goes, theyre the biggest bunch of inept, untrained monkeys, who diagnose colds caused by piles.

This is not a major issue, and any good FNG will diagnose and fix it for you. FYI, I changed my wheel bearing, rear left only, for 2000 bucks all inclusive.
Dear Mayankk,

As I said, the noise coming in high speeds is somewhat disturbing. My car is currently out of extended warranty also. Will there be any issue in getting it done from outside workshop? Can they handle well?
Old 7th August 2014, 18:12   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
If I consider this really as a wheel bearing defect, can I claim it under warranty considering my ODO reads 31 K (though beyond the extended warranty period).
Warranty is calculated based on No. of years from purchase / x km which ever is earlier. So you can't claim warranty any further.

Quote:
replace both of them at a cost of 17K INR.
Quote:
Will there be any issue in getting it done from outside workshop? Can they handle well?
No worries in getting the stuff done from a outside garage (with trained / experienced mechanics) 2 wheel bearing change shouldn't cost anything over 4k INR (1400/part, 1200 as labor + wheel alignment)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 09:38   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Posting from Ford Extended Warranty Policy
Attachment 1254415
Tire wear due to wheel bearing manufacturing defect is covered under extended warranty till 40k km. You should have raised this issue atleast 4k km earlier.

And why 10k for 1 front & 1 rear wheel bearings? IIRC I bought Front wheel bearing (ABS version) for 1400~1500 (Non ABS version is less than 900 INR & common with Ikon) and another 1000 as labor (including wheel alignment) If the car is out of warranty I would suggest to get it done from outside garage.
Dear Mr. Boss, Thank you for the post.
Last week, the Ford A.S.C guys have informed me, during a routine service, that my 2009 model Ford Fiesta 1.6S's rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced. They have quoted 6500-7000 INR for the job. When I told them that I will get the job done from an FNG, they have warned me saying that this is risky, as mine is a car with ABS and if the wheel bearing is improperly replaced, there is a chance that the ABS operation might be affected with the ABS dashboard light being switched on. I need your opinion on

1) The warning from Ford A.S.C guys about the ABS malfunction, is it true?
2) Is it such a big risk to replace a rear wheel bearing in an FNG?
3) Where did you buy the wheel bearings from?

I am shocked with the info that you have shared about the price of the rear wheel bearing. This gives me an idea about the kind of margin that these A.S.C guys works on. Thank you
Old 27th April 2015, 22:11   #51

Dear All,

I am going to post answers to the questions that I had raised in my previous post.

I replaced the right hand side rear wheel bearing of my 2009 model Ford Fiesta 1.6S on the 24th of April at ACC Motors, Perumbavoor, Ernakulam, Kerala. I was charged

1750 rs - Bearing Cost
180 rs - Labour Cost
160 rs - Laith charges

A total of 2090 rs as compared to 6500 rs quoted by Lathangi Ford and 3800 rs by another independent garage in Bangalore

Prior to changing the wheel bearing, I discussed the matter regarding the warning about "ABS malfunction" by the Lathangi Ford guys. The person at ACC Motors assured me that they have done this for other cars and they have never encountered such a scenario. I was convinced by the fact that ACC Motors, although a Maruti Authorised Service Centre, also caters to other brands like Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mitsubishi etc. True to their word, till now, I do not see any problem with the ABS after replacing the rear wheel bearing.
iambasilmathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 09:45   #52
BHPian

Cause:
1) You live in Bangalore
2) If you have heavy alloy aftermarket rims

Effect:
1) Your bearing wont last long
2) as a result your suspension components wont long either

Solution:
1) Dump those heavy after market rims and switch to steelies
Old 28th April 2015, 10:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Solution:
There seem to be correlation between altered wheel/tyre size and bearing/suspension failures.

A chap from my town had put Qualis tyres in his brand new Fiesta classic and both his front struts failed within 10k km, not covered in warranty by ford as they pointed to the oversize tyres.

Funny that he said to me after taking delivery, "Ford is giving 10k km warranty for the new struts so i think i can use the same qualis tyres within the 10k km".
Old 28th April 2015, 10:37   #54
BHPian

Definitely, I am telling this from experience - avoid modifying the factory specs - specifically in Bangalore where new roads are intentionally destroyed by BBMP to give business to the contractor.
Old 3rd May 2015, 13:40   #55
BHPian

Actually I did not replace the bearings I changed my tyres to Michelling and this solved the issue, during my next service Ford service also confirmed that they dont hear the humming noise any more but the reality is I never heard from the humming noise from the beginning.Anyways the happy that there is no problem with the Car
Old 18th December 2016, 01:26   #56
BHPian

Hi, just bumping this thread after a while.

Looks like my drive (2012 Honda Brio, 46000 KM) would require an immediate rear wheel bearing assembly and wheel cylinder replacement. Actually I took the car to garage (not a dealership service center) for fixing the parking brake issue. The brakes were not getting fully released even after releasing the parking lever, have to release the lever multiple times to get a proper release.

They opened up the drum and identified break fluid leakage around the cylinder and immediately suggested for its replacement. Further looking around, we noticed that right hand side rear wheel bearing was not rotating freely and also making some noise while doing so. But the left hand rear wheel bearing was rotating smoothly.

As a result, they advised to change both the wheel cylinders and the right hand side rear wheel bearing hub assembly. The estimate price given is around 12K and comprises of following.

8000- Rear wheel bearing hub assembly
1400- wheel cylinder(2)
1200 - fluids + labor

Has anyone here changed the bearing for Brio recently? Does this pricing seems to be alright or is it on a higher side?
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Hi, just bumping this thread after a while.

Looks like my drive (2012 Honda Brio, 46000 KM) would require an immediate rear wheel bearing assembly and wheel cylinder replacement.
Hi
Just wanted to share my experience on changing the rear bearings. This helps you to eliminate another possibility of the issue described.

I had an issue of Right rear wheel not rotating freely - especially, when the car is fully loaded (Read Qualis Car with 9 People).

I used to feel the car is not moving smooth when fully loaded. When I checked with Nandi Toyota, Kanakapura Road Branch, Bangalore, SA advised the replacement of bearing, BrakeShoes and Pads (All four wheels). I replaced the Rear bearing only with Dealer since the cost of the Brakeshoes/Pads were pretty high with them. But, still the issue did not vanish.

Then, when I got the car inspected with Toyotech Motors (Bangalore), the mechanic could not rotate the wheel at all. Nandi Toyota had fixed the wheel without checking the smoothness of rotation of the drum. We suspected that brake shoe must be jammed with Drum and tried adjusting the threads which expands/compresses the brake shoes. But, this was in vain.

So, after deep dive, The issue identified was totally different. The Flange that is fixed to the axle was not exactly perpendicular to the axis of the axle. Hence, the brake shoes would rub the drum only at certain points of rotation.

So, I had to change the axle (Since Bearing cannot be removed from existing Axle, I had to install a new bearing, Cone along with the new Axle)

Regarding costing:

Brake Shoes (KBX Brand) : 1100
Rear Axle (Original from Toyota): 4650 (with 5% discount)
Bearing: 500
Cone: 200
Labor: 650
Lathe + Pressing: 450
Old 28th December 2017, 09:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Cause:
1) You live in Bangalore
2) If you have heavy alloy aftermarket rims

Effect:
1) Your bearing wont last long
2) as a result your suspension components wont long either

Solution:
Tire upsizing affects the wheel Bearing life??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks