Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 10:50   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You've got the car cover on, right? That'll keep dust away from the engine bay.
Yes I have got the car cover on. But still when it rains all dust passes on to the car body in form of large patches. That is why I have asked to clean the car every Sunday as monsoon season is at peak in north.
Old 9th August 2011, 14:46   #152
BHPian

This is all new running cars we are talking about, right.
Here I am posting to know what all precaution you need to take on a old, close to never used car.
My santro is going to be grounded at my parents house forever, i might use it whenever i go there (may be once in 3-4 months) few kms.
So what all precautions should i be taking on regular basis to keep the car running every time i need it and maintaining it in present condition for ever.
Hold on to it forever
Old 15th August 2011, 02:25   #153
Team-BHP Support

^^

1) Put a body cover on.
2) Have someone at least start it every 2-3 days.
3) If 2) is not possible, disconnect the battery each time you leave, connect each time you go there and start the car.
4) Use the car for some distance so the engine and other parts remain in working condition.
5) Keep tyres inflated beyond the prescribed pressure.
Old 15th August 2011, 06:08   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^

1) Put a body cover on.
2) Have someone at least start it every 2-3 days.
3) If 2) is not possible, disconnect the battery each time you leave, connect each time you go there and start the car.
4) Use the car for some distance so the engine and other parts remain in working condition.
5) Keep tyres inflated beyond the prescribed pressure.
#2 is not really necessary if the car is driven at least once a week. Ever since the Chennai Metro work started, my car is more or less in "long term parking " state only! Moreover some re-modelling work + multi-level car park construction is going on at our office, leading to scarcity of parking space. My car goes out only during weekends for 30 - 60 KM, with absolutely no ill effects.

I also notice an old Santro Zip drive at our apartment complex quietly gathering dust! It seems to go out just a couple of times a month, seemingly without any issues.

Last edited by Gansan : 15th August 2011 at 06:11.
Old 15th August 2011, 09:56   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
#2 is not really necessary if the car is driven at least once a week.
Well, he says, the car will be drive once in 3-4 months by him.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:17   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, he says, the car will be drive once in 3-4 months by him.
In that case, starting every alternate day will not help. The battery will go dead slowly, unless there is some minimal running (~40 KM) every week.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:57   #157
Team-BHP Support

If its only switch on and switch off, then you are using the stored power without recharging the battery. That would drain it faster than it otherwise would.

I have once kept the battery disconnected for over a month. Started without any fuss when I needed it.
Old 15th August 2011, 12:40   #158
BHPian

Use a battery trickle charger to keep the battery Charged. The best way to keep the fuel injector & the suspension components in good shape is to use the car, that will also keep the rodents & bugs away
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:47   #159

How frequently should one use his car?

Hello friends,

Request your suggestion.

I have a Indica diesel and for the last 9 months I have been using it only in the weekends. sometimes if we dont go out in the weekends also, it lies idle for straight 14-15 days. I bought a scooter 9 months back and from then onwards i find it easier to use and park the scooter than the car while commuting to office. So stopped using the car during office days.

My concern is, I have heard, diesel cars should be used regularly. But is the frequency i am using is too bad? These days the car gives starting trouble and i tried recharging the battery in the shop, but its not helping. I bought this battery 2 years back. Not sure if the battery life is gone or is a problem with the car dynamo or its because of less usage.

I am seeing people in my neighborhood parking their Santros for weeks and using only occasionally. Are petrol cars ideal for this kind of use?
Old 24th August 2011, 09:29   #160
Senior - BHPian

^^ I use my car only during weekends for ~50 KM. If I have no outing planned, I will still take the car on Sunday mornings for a spin on the highway for 40 KM, come back, park and cover it. Highway drive is ideal because I can maintain a steady 70-80 KMPH speed. This for a petrol car!

It is all the more important for a diesel. Battery charge will go down faster in a diesel due to the higher cranking power needed during start-ups.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:36   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrsraja View Post
Hello friends,
These days the car gives starting trouble and i tried recharging the battery in the shop, but its not helping. I bought this battery 2 years back. Not sure if the battery life is gone or is a problem with the car dynamo or its because of less usage.
What make the battery is it.? OE battery's ususally last 2-3 years depending on make.Get the battery checked out along with the alternator charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes I have got the car cover on. But still when it rains all dust passes on to the car body in form of large patches. That is why I have asked to clean the car every Sunday as monsoon season is at peak in north.
Putting a cover in the rainy season is not a good idea unless the cover is thick and absolutely water proof.The water will seep inside the cover onto the body and will not dry up.

A open but covered parking is the way to go.That way the car won't get wet and even if it does it will dry up soon as the car is not covered.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th August 2011 at 15:26. Reason: posts merged
Old 24th August 2011, 10:06   #162
BHPian

Re: How frequently should one use his car?

Quote:
Hello friends,

Request your suggestion.

I have a Indica diesel and for the last 9 months I have been using it only in the weekends. sometimes if we dont go out in the weekends also, it lies idle for straight 14-15 days. I bought a scooter 9 months back and from then onwards i find it easier to use and park the scooter than the car while commuting to office. So stopped using the car during office days.

My concern is, I have heard, diesel cars should be used regularly. But is the frequency i am using is too bad? These days the car gives starting trouble and i tried recharging the battery in the shop, but its not helping. I bought this battery 2 years back. Not sure if the battery life is gone or is a problem with the car dynamo or its because of less usage.

I am seeing people in my neighborhood parking their Santros for weeks and using only occasionally. Are petrol cars ideal for this kind of use?
Hi, it shouldn't be difficult to start the car once in two days atleast, if you can manage this. Leave it running for 2-5 mins ("go green" guys don't jump on me now ).

I like @Gansan's method; even if you are not driving it regularly, take it out once a week for a spin. If you can't reach the highways, do some half hour of city driving atleast.
Old 24th August 2011, 13:38   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it lies idle for straight 14-15 days.

.. These days the car gives starting trouble ..
Yes, infact older diesels require much more power to crank, and that is why they were reved hard before shutting off the engine.

In your case, as you use the car only occasionally and for short trips, the battery doesnt get charged enough. IMO, the only solution is to recharge the battery to its full capacity once in two weeks from a neighbor battery walla.
Old 24th August 2011, 15:13   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Hi, it shouldn't be difficult to start the car once in two days atleast, if you can manage this. Leave it running for 2-5 mins ("go green" guys don't jump on me now ).
Idling the car for 2-5 mins would be counter-productive rather than helpful. I don't think idling for 5mins would help the battery recharge or even regain the charge lost in cranking up the engine.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:12   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Idling the car for 2-5 mins would be counter-productive rather than helpful. I don't think idling for 5mins would help the battery recharge or even regain the charge lost in cranking up the engine.
OK. Then what're the other options for @smsraja's situation?

And also how is the idling counter-productive to the vehicle? I can accept that it is bad on the environment and our pockets. Otherwise?

Most Viewed