Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2013, 15:47   #211
BHPian

re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I missed out on providing some more information.

The car is parked in my apartment's basement parking. Initially I thought of putting a cover but then arranged with my car cleaning guys that they will clean the car twice a week. Also asked one of my apartment mates to just check from time to time.

Tank is almost full so no worries on that front.

The only thing that I could not manage to do was inflate the tyres to a higher level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If possible park your car in shade or keep it covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
You need a windscreen sun shade at the very least, unless your car is in a covered parking that has zero access to the sun. Preferable is a car cover. Not only does a cover prevent dirt from settling on the car, it also keeps the vehicle cool.

The only thing is if the car is parked outdoors where rain can fall on it, then you need someone to remove the car cover during the monsoon as a wet cover will speed up the rusting process

Also, fill up the petrol tank and leave it.
Basement parking and regular cleaning should take care of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Just one additional measure, inflate the car tyres to a slightly higher than usual pressure and if possible cover the car with a good cover. I hope you dont have the rat infestation issue or else there is another thread which covers that aspects too.

All the best.
I haven't seen any rats around my car parking area and the parking space doesn't have any walls around so no hiding/ breeding place for them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
That's enough.

1. Keep both windscreen wipers out of contact with the glass, i.e., perpendicular to the windscreen.
Since the car will be cleaned frequently this should not be a problem. Anyway I have kept the wipes perpendicular to the windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
2. Keep a stone or a wooden block abutting two wheels atleast to prevent movement.
The car is lying on an absolute flat surface and i have kept it in the 2nd gear.
champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 12:46   #212
Senior - BHPian

Long term EFFECTS of an INCLINED parking space

Let me utilize this thread to ask a related query on parking. My garage was initially designed for a single car, but now the second car is parked behind the first, at an incline similar to the ones in picture.

My query is, does such a parking have serious long term bad effects on the rear shocks, since the weight of the car is borne more by the rear axle than the front? Or can I give it a pass? Experts and those who have experienced similar situation, request you to please help.

Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-misc2-006.jpg

Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-dsc08780.jpg
Old 20th September 2013, 21:07   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Long term EFFECTS of an INCLINED parking space

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Let me utilize this thread to ask a related query on parking. My garage was initially designed for a single car, but now the second car is parked behind the first, at an incline similar to the ones in picture.

My query is, does such a parking have serious long term bad effects on the rear shocks, since the weight of the car is borne more by the rear axle than the front? Or can I give it a pass? Experts and those who have experienced similar situation, request you to please help.
The shocks don't carry the load of your car, your springs do! Your shocks dampen the vertical movement of the car, that's all. With more weight on the rear axle the rear springs would be more depressed and the front ones less. And the respective dampers would follow that compress/extend the same length, but they don't support the load!

I wouldn't worry to much. That looks like a very small incline, maybe 5 degrees or so. So, only a very small percentage of the weight moves aft. If you have the wheel base of your car and the front/rear distribution, and the incline angle its a very straight forward calculation. But again, as long as it's a small incline its not going to matter.

The only thing you do need to think about is how to stop your car from rolling as it is on an incline. You could apply the handbrake, but that is not advisable for a car in long term storage, you could put blocks behind the wheels, again not advisable for long term storage, or leave it in gear, or in park, depending on whether you have a manual or automatic transmission.

I really don't know if there would be any adverse effects of leaving a car in gear/park on an incline for a long period. My gut feeling is that if possible it should be avoided. Essentially you do have gears meshed together, with no lubrication over a longer period of time. I don't think it would be a big thing, but then I'm really sure either. I have no experience or have ever heard of anything like that. Maybe somebody else has?

Jeroen
Old 20th September 2013, 23:15   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The shocks don't carry the load of your car, your springs do!
Pardon me for the colloquial usage 'shocks' when I wanted to mean the suspension components in whole.

I take out the vehicle everyday but eventually the car spends a majority of its time on this incline. And I use parking brakes! How bad could be that, even if I take out car every day?
Old 21st September 2013, 08:04   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Pardon me for the colloquial usage 'shocks' when I wanted to mean the suspension components in whole.

I take out the vehicle everyday but eventually the car spends a majority of its time on this incline. And I use parking brakes! How bad could be that, even if I take out car every day?
If you take it out every day, you have nothing to worry about! Its only prolonged of non use that starts taking its toll. We are talking not even just months but years
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:20   #216
BHPian

MODS : kindly move to suitable thread if you think this post isn't very relevant to this thread.

I have a rather specific query, which I haven't had much success finding answers online. While it's not exactly long term parking, it is relevant as cars parked when not in use will total a long duration of hours, enough to cause damage that I'm concerned about.

Is there any disproportionate or noticeably higher rate of failure for cars in Malad(W), Mumbai - be it cars parked in residential or commercial areas ?
My reason for asking - I found a report that says many IT/BPO companies have experienced high failure rates for computers and other electronic equipment, air conditioning included. The cause is identified as toxic cases that corrode metallic components. Hence TVs, refrigerators, cellphones too have been reported with higher than normal failure rates.

Modern cars having plenty of electronics, has there been issues with cars in this area too? So far I haven't managed to dig up any such thing, but wanted to check with all sources I can get.

Last edited by Ricci : 22nd September 2013 at 21:21.
Old 23rd September 2013, 00:07   #217
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Is there any disproportionate or noticeably higher rate of failure for cars in Malad(W), Mumbai - be it cars parked in residential or commercial areas ?
I, too remember reading about this in some newspaper. The area is Mindspace on Malad Link rd. It was a dumping ground back then & now its become a swanky place with offices,malls, residential towers,etc! I do not know if cars in this particular area have had issues though.
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:17   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
MODS :

My reason for asking - I found a report that says many IT/BPO companies have experienced high failure rates for computers and other electronic equipment, air conditioning included. The cause is identified as toxic cases that corrode metallic components. Hence TVs, refrigerators, cellphones too have been reported with higher than normal failure rates.
In certain areas of Delhi we face the same phenomenon. There is a drain in Noida area which releases noxious fumes. Most of the AC in the vicinity fail due to corrosion of pipe joints to an extent that in most cases gas has to be filled annually.

Normally industrial electronics; cars included; have much more robust electronics both at the device level and in packaging and protection - heat, vibration environmental degradation, so there should be less damage in cars than in consumer durables, but you never know.
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:11   #219
Senior - BHPian

Assuming the car in Question is the Linea?

The owners manual has some advise - if we have the same manual then i am referring to page 96 and 110.

If the car is to be parked for a period longer than a month the ensure you engage a gear and that the handbrake is not engaged

For parking the car otherwise

Engage the handbrake
If on a slope engage first gear if car is facing uphill and reverse if downhill

In both cases leave the wheels steered

Importantly if the car is parked on a sleep slope it is advisable to block the tyres with a wedge or a stone

Noticeably - there is no mention of anything to do with load distribution while on a slope - either informative or a caution note so i dont think this will be a problem

From a personal perspective i can tell you that we have had numerous cars which have always been parked one way or the other on a slope thanks to living in the hills - no problem ever

Quote:

puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:20   #220
Senior - BHPian

My brother's wife owns a 7 year old Chevrolet Optra which had not been moved for two and a half months. Since some civil work had to be carried out in their apartment complex all the cars had to be moved out. As nobody was available at their home, I was called. I went there to bring the car to my place and park it for a couple of days.

I was surprised by the way the car started at the very first crank and ran smoothly.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:08   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a 1998 Ford Fiesta back in our home country. It only gets used when we are in the Netherlands. It will sit idle for 4-6 months at a time. Always starts and drives fine. Just sits outside our home no special measures taken whatsoever
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 19:09   #222
Senior - BHPian

While i have not left my cars parked for that long , maybe 3.5 weeks or so at the best i dont take any special precautions either , have never noticed anything lacking as a result of it , i try and put on a cover at any rate which is taken off to clean it a few times a week but thats about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
We have a 1998 Ford Fiesta back in our home country. It only gets used when we are in the Netherlands. It will sit idle for 4-6 months at a time. Always starts and drives fine. Just sits outside our home no special measures taken whatsoever
Old 16th October 2013, 16:11   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
I will be out for an overseas assignment for almost 4.5 months which means my diesel fluidic verna will be sitting idle. I went through the thread and did the following:

1. Yesterday I went to the the Hyundai Service center got the basic check up ( engine oil, lubrication on brakes etc) done.

2. I checked with the SA about disconnecting the battery cables. He said I just need to disconnect the -ve terminal. No need to disconnect the +ve terminal and remove the battery. That is only required for long term idling in low temperatures. I read somewhere that one needs to disconnect both terminals but chose to go by what the SA advised. Not sure i did the correct thing.

3. Put some Naphthalene balls in the cabin to prevent fungus.

4. Disengaged the parking brake

5. Have kept the car in 2nd gear.

Hope the above measures should take care of things. Will miss my car !!
Got back from NZ last month. On one hand I was happy to be back but on the other slightly worried about the car. But all my worries were completely unfounded. Just connected the -ve terminal, cranked the engine and it started in the very first go after being idle for 6 months. I was also glad to see that the car was relatively clean. Learnt later that the car cleaning guy was doing his job as promised.
A big thanks to TBHP for all the useful suggestions!!
champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 17:40   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

Why don't you take the car to your college once or twice a week? This will saves your time commuting to the college and you will be a Happier Student + a little showoff too!. (This is a serious advise).

Well, bluevolt, my college is ~2 KM from my place so I have a doubt here : won't starting a cold engine and shutting it down before it has even warmed up properly be bad for the engine as compared to not using the engine at all for 6-7 days at a stretch? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 24th February 2014, 20:07   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
Well, bluevolt, my college is ~2 KM from my place so I have a doubt here : won't starting a cold engine and shutting it down before it has even warmed up properly be bad for the engine as compared to not using the engine at all for 6-7 days at a stretch? Please advise. Thanks.
In that case walk down every day, and take the vehicle for a drive of 10 to 20km every week end.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks