Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 07:51   #241
BHPian

Re: Car Not Used for 3 month

3 months shouldnt be much of an issue. I travel a lot and have left my cars (santro/fiesta/civic) for up to 4-5 months at a time. I generally give my car for a service once I am back to make sure that all essentials like brakes etc are working properly.

The only issue I have ever faced is when my travel extended to 8 months away from. My civic's battery got drained and had to be replaced. Nowadays, I have taken the additional step of disconnecting the terminals before I leave home.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 08:03   #242
BHPian

[]How was the car stored in these 3 months? Was it kept covered out left open?

Yes, the car was left in open but I used the start the car and keep it idle for few min before I switch it off.

I am ready to change all of the essentials like (Oils e.t.c) can I run my car up to the SC before doing any thing?

Last edited by aravinrd : 21st June 2014 at 08:05.
Old 21st June 2014, 08:10   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
Yes, the car was left in open but I used the start the car and keep it idle for few min before I switch it off.

I am ready to change all of the essentials like (Oils e.t.c) can I run my car up to the SC before doing any thing?
Good that you used to idle the car for sometime. All your worries are off buddy. In the first post, you didn't mention about the idling hence all the suggestions.

Just get the air pressure checked and you can take the car to anywhere you want. No issues.

Anurag.
Old 21st June 2014, 08:30   #244
Senior - BHPian

Check these threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...o-my-cars.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-donts-13.html
Old 21st June 2014, 09:26   #245
BHPian

Check that hand brake is not sticky,if it was applied all this time.Sometimes, even if you release it , due to rust and dirt, it sticks around and keeps on braking .
Old 21st June 2014, 11:20   #246
BHPian

3 months isn't an issue at all. My suggestion is to drive the car like a 'saint' until the engine temp gauge reaches normal (middle) level. During this time, be very light on the brakes and make sure they feel okay. Before driving, just visually check for signs of rodents and, if possible, drive straight to a petrol pump for air fill up in the tyres and spare. Once at normal temp, the car should drive and feel normal. Of course, any weird sounds should be checked out, but I doubt there will be any.
Old 21st June 2014, 11:28   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
Start your car and go to the neighbourhood mecahnic for a general checkup and top-up the oils (only if required). But check that the brakes are working fine before you take the car out.
Old 21st June 2014, 12:08   #248
Senior - BHPian

Check if rats have not caused any mayhem in the bonnet. If that is A Ok, just start the car,let it idle for 2 to 3 minutes, take it to the petrol pump with a digital tyre pressure filling machine. Fill it up to the recommended pressure and you are good to go. 3 months is not a long time at all.
Old 21st June 2014, 16:26   #249
BHPian

Re: Car Not Used for 3 months

Thank you all for your sugestions.

I have fixed the tyre pressure and drove around for few KMS, any way the car is due for a service and I am taking to them coming monday.
Old 29th August 2014, 22:53   #250
BHPian

Re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

I am temporarily going out of country for 3 months. I do not have anyone here to hand over my diesel i20 for driving around during this period.
I will follow the wooden planks for tires, reverse gear & no parking brake, 10 liters of Diesel at the least, check for coolant levels etc.

Should I disconnect the battery? If I do disconnect the battery, will I have a problem of ECU malfunction due to 3 months of no wake-up signal?

The only other option I have is, leaving the car with my relatives in Bangalore. Please suggest, what can I do?
Old 30th August 2014, 01:23   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
I am temporarily going out of country for 3 months. I do not have anyone here to hand over my diesel i20 for driving around during this period.
I will follow the wooden planks for tires, reverse gear & no parking brake, 10 liters of Diesel at the least, check for coolant levels etc.

Should I disconnect the battery? If I do disconnect the battery, will I have a problem of ECU malfunction due to 3 months of no wake-up signal?

The only other option I have is, leaving the car with my relatives in Bangalore. Please suggest, what can I do?
Here's what I would do; fill the tank all the way to the brim. Less chance of condensation. Disconnect the battery. Three months of not starting/running will drain the battery, so you might as well disconnect. Shouldn't be a problem when you re-connect three months from now. A good battery will easily keep its charge for three months, or at least more than enough to start your car. I wouldn't worry about the ECU. Once you reconnect the battery everything should be fine.

You might want to put a bit of extra air in the tires as well, and no hand brake, just leave it in gear etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 07:18   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Here's what I would do; fill the tank all the way to the brim. Less chance of condensation. Disconnect the battery. Three months of not starting/running will drain the battery, so you might as well disconnect. Shouldn't be a problem when you re-connect three months from now. A good battery will easily keep its charge for three months, or at least more than enough to start your car. I wouldn't worry about the ECU. Once you reconnect the battery everything should be fine.

You might want to put a bit of extra air in the tires as well, and no hand brake, just leave it in gear etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen Sir.I need a clarification. When battery is dead, the remote locking gets disabled,as I have experienced and needs to be locked/unlocked manually. As such,if the Battery is disconnected, the car remains insecure.
How to address this problem,if car is left unattended for long periods?
Old 30th August 2014, 08:56   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Jeroen
Thanks a lot for your response and suggestions. Will do.
Old 30th August 2014, 11:16   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Jeroen Sir.I need a clarification. When battery is dead, the remote locking gets disabled,as I have experienced and needs to be locked/unlocked manually. As such,if the Battery is disconnected, the car remains insecure.

Disconnect the battery and manually lock the car, or did you mean something else?
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 11:22   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Sorry to bump up a question meant for Jeroen, but if you want the hooters to sound up when someone forcibly opens the door, then you will need the power source/ battery. If just getting the car locked is your concern, then you may either disconnect the batter and manually lock all the doors of the car or just lock the car using the remote first and then disconnect the battery.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed