Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2017, 09:12   #271
BHPian

Re: Long-term Parking: Do's and Don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Unless your battery is considerably old, three weeks is not long enough to affect the battery. You can leave the car as is.
Thanks ! The car is just 4 months old, so I guess I'll leave it as it is with just a cover.
Old 7th January 2018, 11:27   #272

Need Advice- Mothballing a diesel car

I plan to relocate abroad for sometime and quite reluctant to sell my car right now. I own a Ford Ecosport Diesel.
I am seeking some expert advice from the forum members on how to preserve my car while I am away and its not in use. I will disconnect the battery, any other pointers which might help (like how much fuel in the tank etc.)? Please feel free to share your personal experience as well...

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2018, 18:15   #273
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need Advice- Mothballing a diesel car

Check out this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4271714
Old 26th May 2018, 13:18   #274
BHPian

What to do when I won't be using my cars for almost a year?

Hey guys,

We own a 2016 Toyota Innova Crysta GX AT and a 2014 Maruti Suzuki Celerio VXI AMT. Due to work related stuff, my dad may have to travel to the USA for approximately a year. Now, I haven't reached the legal age to drive,and my mom doesn't know how to drive a car.

So basically, it'll be unused for over a year.

Now the queries are:
  • Will disconnecting the battery be enough considering the fact that it'll be unused for approximately a year? Or is there anything else that needs to be done?
  • Is it fine to leave the car unused for a year, or do I need to hire a chauffeur? If it remains unused, will I face any complications after I restart the usage of the cars after over a year?

The cars are in pristine condition with all the services done right on time.

Regards,
Karthi.stark

[Note to mods: Please merge if a similar thread already exists]

Last edited by karthi.stark : 26th May 2018 at 13:21.
karthi.stark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 15:18   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What to do when I won't be using my cars for almost a year?

Don't leave it untouched for such a long term. Hire a driver and use both the cars frequently (at least once in week) Cars are meant to be used and not stored.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 15:40   #276
BHPian

Hello Karthi.stark,

In case of diesel cars (read your Innova here), it is recommended to keep the same in regular use. So hire a driver and make sure you use it once a week for a minimum of 10-20 Kms when taking it out for each ride.

In case of petrols (read your Celerio), you can use it once in 2-3 weeks with a similar drive length. Since it is automatic, it is recommended for your Mother to learn to drive and make use of the same for regular errands.

All this applies if selling the either of the two cars is not an option.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 16:01   #277
BHPian

Hi Karthi.stark,

Suggestions given by Mr.Boss and sunilch are the perfect ones, to keep the cars alive and to make you feel of using it. Still, if none of these options are suitable to you and if you have no other options, please refer the Owners manual or Show room, for the detailed storage procedure. Every vehicle comes with its own storage procedure and it's always anticipated too. However, it may need a bit of work and better to seek the Authored dealer's help. Take care.
tstlnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 16:04   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Don't leave it untouched for such a long term. Hire a driver and use both the cars frequently (at least once in week) Cars are meant to be used and not stored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Hello Karthi.stark,

In case of diesel cars (read your Innova here), it is recommended to keep the same in regular use. So hire a driver and make sure you use it once a week for a minimum of 10-20 Kms when taking it out for each ride.

In case of petrols (read your Celerio), you can use it once in 2-3 weeks with a similar drive length. Since it is automatic, it is recommended for your Mother to learn to drive and make use of the same for regular errands.

All this applies if selling the either of the two cars is not an option.
Thanks for the prompt response!

One query:

What if I disconnect the battery? Then I won't have to use it right?
Or am I missing something here?

Regards,
Karthi.stark
Old 26th May 2018, 16:14   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Thanks for the prompt response!

One query:

What if I disconnect the battery? Then I won't have to use it right?

Regards,
Karthi.stark
Its not just the electrical parts which go bad in an unused car.

The fluids can go bad when static for one year. (Engine Oil/ Coolant)

The various moving parts can rust and seize (Brakes/Power windows)

But more often than not, rats and other pests can cause maximum damage.
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 16:58   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Karthik, all suggestions point towards regular use of the cars. Like AbhiJ mentioned, rats can cause bad damage. Though having the unused cars is an overkill, keep them in use - even if not extensively. In your place, I would not want to give up the Crysta, and the Celerio is very useful in city. Hence would not want to give up either.

Does your mother drive the Celerio ? Then Celerio can be used by your mother, even if for short distances.
Then hire a driver once a week for the Crysta.

Yes, cars must be used and not stored.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 16:59   #281
BHPian

Hey Karthi.Stark

Disconnecting he battery would help maintaining the electricals in a good shape, but not the other parts (brake pads, fluids etc.).

Since the Innova is a Diesel, I’d recommend taking it out once in a week. Hire a driver or get one of your relatives/neighbours to drive it around for a short distance.

On the other hand, since the Celerio is a petrol, running it once in two/ three weeks should be fine.

I’d also recommend your Mother to learn and start driving, the Celerio is an automatic anyways. The car will be in use and you also do not need to depend on Ubers and Ola’s for any commute.

Also run the electricals for 10 or 15 minutes every week to keep them in good shape ( power window switches, headlamps etc.).

My Grandfather’s Santro (now sold) was also lying unused. We disconnected the battery and used the car every two weeks for ahort runs.

Regards
Prathik

Last edited by Prathiiik : 26th May 2018 at 17:00.
Prathiiik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 18:12   #282
BHPian

Find a driver in your society or locality and take the cars out weekly for some errands. That should be enough.

Get the cars serviced on time using the pick and drop facility of the service centres. Use the time factor and obviously not the distance factor.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 21:54   #283
BHPian

I don't think it would be a good idea to left any car unused for almost 1 year, few months is okay but 1 year is a long time for a car to be sitting idle. The best thing you could do is hire a chauffeur, even a part time chauffeur would do. This would mean that the cars would be kept running at least once or twice every month. The other thing that you could do is lend both the cars to your relatives/friends for 1 year, even if they have other cars at their disposal they could keep your cars running sporadically.

We have a 99 Omni at our home that is sometimes used only once a month, even after 1 month w.o starting her, our Omni runs without any trouble. Hence for the Celerio even if you use her only once every month, she should be fine. As for the Innova, being a diesel it is not advised to keep her idle for a long time. Having said that it is quite common to buy new cars (both diesel & petrol) that were lying in the stockyard for 4-6 months & these cars don't show any problem due to no/negligible use. I would also suggest parking both the cars without using the handbrake.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 26th May 2018 at 21:56.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 21:58   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like others mentioned, fluids deteriorate, menace of rat and other insects.
To add another point, all rubber parts tend to lose their property / life (tires, drive belts, door beading, suspension and engine mount, etc)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 22:47   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So basically, it'll be unused for over a year.
I can provide you with some tips as I was in a similar situation when we used to live in Delhi. My dad would have to travel for extended periods of time (though definitely not over a year) and I was entrusted to start the car (M800) and idle for 10-15 mins once a week without moving the car an inch. Same for the Activa.
This way, except for the tyres, all parts would get a workout.

For over a year long period, I will suggest that you take help of your friends / family / neighbours etc. and ask them to either use the car themselves for a short period once every 2-3 months or just come and drive the car once a month if they are not comfortable using your cars as daily drivers.

However, if at all its not possible to start / use the car, please do the following -
1. Get the cars cleaned from inside and outside.
2. Top up the fuel tank, coolant, oil, etc.
3. Jack up the car using jack stands to prevent damage to tyres.
4. Remove wiper blades (otherwise they could stick) and block the exhaust vent with a rag to prevent any animal / insect from getting in.
5. Disconnect the batteries (you might need to charge it when you start the car).
6. Cover the cars with a cover.

Last edited by blackwasp : 26th May 2018 at 22:59.
blackwasp is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed