Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2020, 14:29   #331
BHPian

Re: Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts

Raghav,

Thanks for the update. What was the work done in detailing. Was it just polish. How much was the charges. Will they do interior as well. I have few marks of idol pasted kept on the dashboard, now removed. Want to get rid off and looks to be as new !! This is for my Baleno '05 model.

Regards
Prsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
Hello Everyone,

My Duster is about 3.5 years old now. I thought it's high time to get it detailed once. I have visited FAYNLAB in HSR Layout, Bangalore earlier this month to get the exterior detailing done. Attaching couple of pics that was taken after the work is completed. Overall happy with the service. Friendly staff and excellent work quality. Highly recommend this studio.

This is just before the virus outbreak / lockdowns started in India. It would have been impossible now since things have changed dramatically now. Not using the car since last week. Car washing guys are not allowed inside the apartment complex due to obvious reasons. So planning to wash it myself and turn it ON once a week to keep it healthy.

Stay Home, Stay Safe & Take Care!

Thanks,
Raghav
Old 27th March 2020, 16:10   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Raghav,

Thanks for the update. What was the work done in detailing. Was it just polish. How much was the charges. Will they do interior as well. I have few marks of idol pasted kept on the dashboard, now removed. Want to get rid off and looks to be as new !! This is for my Baleno '05 model.

Regards
Prsn
Hello!

I have opted for complete exterior detailing which included many things. It came to around 12K. Yes, they do all kinds of detailing. You can call them up and confirm once.

Cheers,
Raghav
Old 27th March 2020, 20:14   #333
Senior - BHPian

Guidelines from the Toyota dealer.

Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-img20200327wa0006.jpg
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 20:47   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

I am on Toyota's side this time, user manuals also do not suggest leaving the car unattended for such long periods of time.

Considering alternator charges the battery at idle, I think this should be okay unless your battery is old and showing signs of wear.
Old 30th March 2020, 07:29   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

From a cousin's KIA dealer. Starting every 2/3 days is overkill!
Attached Thumbnails
Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-img20200330wa0001.jpg  

Old 30th March 2020, 13:22   #336
BHPian

I've done this personally and also made a video guide of it. I did it when I left my car for job and was parked in my garage for almost 3 months.
Things that are a must to consider:
1. Bump up the tire pressure to 40 psi irrespective of manufacturer recommendation. This should be sufficient for 5 months easily.
2. Indian fuels are more stable(the BS4 one) than available internationally because international fuels are mostly flex fuels with ethanol blends. Hence our fuel is good for storing easily for 6 months. However to be on the safer side, keep the fuel level low(below 10 litres in a tank), so that the next time you drive, you can have fresh fuel pumped in. However keep some fuel in the tank for emergencies.
Note: Don't drain fuel tank in modern cars to protect them. This is because fuel still would be present in fuel lines and cylinders. Unless you can get rid of it, don't try this
3. Don't apply handbrake. Because the brake pads might fuse with the rotors if kept for very extended periods. However if you intend to do so, make sure you release the handbrake and reapply it again after every few weeks.
4. Clean the interiors thoroughly. It is more important than you think. Molds might form in a few weeks time in a damp car if left unattended and breathing in such a car is very unhealthy.
5. Clean the exteriors and cover the car, even if it is garage kept. Additionally add rat poison on the perimeters.
6. More importantly open the negative terminal or both the terminals of the battery to prevent drainage of battery. If you don't, start your car and keep it running for 10-15 mins at least once every week. Additionally you might want to refer your owner manual/ service adviser for this step.
Remember while disconnecting, disconnect negative first and while reconnecting, connect positive first. This is important.
7. Cover intake and exhaust with some plastic to prevent entry of rats/pests.

Here's the link to the video in detail. The audio in the first minute is low.
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 12:01   #337
BHPian

There are certain precautions that needs to be taken depending on the age and stage of the car.

I have a Brio Petrol Automatic which I covered to avoid dust to accumulate on it. After a week on last Sunday, took it out to get some supplies and again covered it back. A picture :
Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-20200329_111723.jpg

Took up the job of cleaning the BMC Air Filter in both the cars and also cleaned the Jopasu Dusters. Essentials were the rejuvenating Kits :
Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-20200330_131906.jpg

Also, took up the agenda to give the Endeavour a DIY Waterless Wash and Wax Shine. Some pictures :
Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-20200329_132407.jpg

Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-20200329_132926.jpg

Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts-20200329_133018.jpg

It is a 15 year old machine and I am making it a point to start it every 3rd day and move it back and forth a little. Yesterday, took it out for getting some medicines. Felt awesome to be back behind the wheel.

And Yes, the Handbrake is not put to use in both the Cars. However, since the Automatic cannot be left in N Mode, it is kept in P Mode and parked. That's a few bits from my side.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:14   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
@Smiline : They all work.

@ Scorpian : I'll try this tomorrow. Just a little rocking ? 1-2 feet fwd and back is fine ? I don't think it will move much in gear.
Did you manage? Yes just a little rocking.
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:24   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Did you manage? Yes just a little rocking.
Hi sorry for the lack of updates. The rocking didn't help. In fact I could hear some servo motor whining type noise from the engine bay so I didn't try again.

Anyways after that I was like might as well try a push start and it worked easily on the first try !
After that I idled the engine for 10 mins and took a couple of rounds of the society. Then idled for a couple of minutes again with engine at 2000rpm and shut it off. It restarted easily again after 3 days so I'm unsure what the issue was. The symptoms seem mixed. Let's see how it goes later on

Thanks for the advice
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:48   #340
BHPian

Due to the nationwide lockdown, my Scorpio has been sitting idle for quite some time. To be honest she has only been driven on weekends for the month before the lockdown.

Recently when I started the car to take it to a wash it would refuse to move forward or would move just a bit before stalling. It would have no problem in reverse gear though. Another thing I noticed was that the brakes were making a screeching sound and were overly sensitive(just a tap would lock the wheels). Slowly after reversing and inching forward, it cleared up even though there was some kind of resistance. This happened at least three times this week. She has never been parked with the handbrake but only in first gear.
I was thinking that the wheels got locked but like I said the car was parked in gear. Another thing was that in reverse gear the car moves freely but not in first gear. Could this have something with gears getting stuck? Or have the wheels locked?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 7th April 2020, 20:42   #341
BHPian

A question to the experts here, does the advisory to keep the parking brake disengaged during long periods of inactivity applicable to cars equipped with rear disc brakes? I understand that in case of drum brakes there is a chance of rubber melting and sticking to the drum. Aren't the brake pads of a disc brake designed to withstand very high temperatures? Does this make them immune to this particular problem?
Old 8th April 2020, 11:06   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
A question to the experts here, does the advisory to keep the parking brake disengaged during long periods of inactivity applicable to cars equipped with rear disc brakes? I understand that in case of drum brakes there is a chance of rubber melting and sticking to the drum. Aren't the brake pads of a disc brake designed to withstand very high temperatures? Does this make them immune to this particular problem?
I have never heard of rubber melting in drum brakes? The only rubber inside the drum brake are the boots of the piston/cilinder assembly.

This video gives a good overview on what the causes of a sticky drum brake can be:

Drum brakes are a little more prone to sticking, especially after long periods of being laid up than disc brakes. Drum brakes have far more mechanical components and they are all inside the drum. So rust/corrossion tends to take an early toll. Whereas the movement on disc brake is minimal and linear (a piston moving the brake pad) a drum brake has many more parts attached to the piston(s) to move the brake shoe. There are springs, levers, cables etc. the brake shoe pivots in a semi circular motion.

Name:  Screenshot 20200408 at 7.35.32 AM.png
Views: 1015
Size:  590.5 KB

These days the parking brake might work on your disc brakes. But there are also still plenty of cars that have disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the rear. Or disc brakes all around, plus drum brake at the rear as parking brake.

My wife’s Ford Fiesta rear drum brakes were sticking a bit some time ago. I opened them up and cleaned everything. You can see the little boots clearly on the brake cylinders:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4668210

Last edited by Jeroen : 8th April 2020 at 11:10.
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 11:23   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I understand that in case of drum brakes there is a chance of rubber melting and sticking to the drum. Aren't the brake pads of a disc brake designed to withstand very high temperatures? Does this make them immune to this particular problem?
It is not the heat but moisture that may cause the sticking. That is why you observe it regularly after driving through water and parking it overnight during the monsoon.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 13:29   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It is not the heat but moisture that may cause the sticking. That is why you observe it regularly after driving through water and parking it overnight during the monsoon.
To add and to my earlier points; the moisture causes rust/corrosion on the inside of the drum. There is already brake dust and some other muck. Add moisture and things become stuck. Maybe not that relevant in most parts of India, but in freezing weather the same can apply and any moisture can cause your (drum) brakes to freeze up. Conversely, moisture inside a drum brake in the tropics is akin to a pressure cooker environment almost!

Have a look at the photographs in the link I shared; see the amount of dust, dirt and rust that fell on my garage floor when I opened up her Fiesta drum brake.

Jeroen
Old 10th April 2020, 16:48   #345
BHPian

Hello guys, being on the topic of car care during lockdown, I have an urgent query regarding availability of 5W-30 engine oil in Pune for my vehicle as engine oil levels are cricically low and pumps along my daily commute to work (Hospital) do not seem to have the same. Any leads? Thanks.

Most Viewed