Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2006, 09:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Most of the advice dished out here generally applies to car owners living in independant houses. What about those who live in a condo? Though the security aspect is higher in a condo.

My friend who was away to Pune for 8 months on a film project left his Qualis with me. I used it once everyday to drop my kids to the school bus stop. This way, when he came back the Qualis was tip-top and raring to go although I hated driving Qualis..:-(
Old 15th October 2006, 00:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

yep. i too helped out my cousin when he went to NZ for a year. he had just then bought the bolero & spent 40k on overhauling the engine & could not afford to sell it. so i volunteered & kept it for a year, using it ocassionaly. now that he is back, i have given it back. he was very happy with the vehicle. of course, i had to spend a bit on the maintanence.
Old 15th October 2006, 13:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

the best way to maintain a car in good shape in total is to use it, but nicely . weather you or someone you trust.
Old 17th October 2006, 05:17   #34
BANNED

In post #13, I've seen this...
Quote:
Also while parking for a long time use the reverse gear and not the parking brake.
What's the advantage of parking in the reverse gear and not in the parking brake ?
Old 17th October 2006, 06:41   #35
BHPian

rat menace

Another point to consider while parking for a longer period is to protect the electrical wires from rats. Even during an overnight parking at home, it happened to me. When we park it for a longer time, it is all the more risky.

Any suggestions to get away from the rat menace??
Old 17th October 2006, 21:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere that if you have a rat menace in your garage then gently place saucers of coke (without disturning the gas in them) on the generalised route of the rodent (that you will know by their droppings). Since rodnets dunno how to burp, once they drink this the expanding gas in their tummy makes them to run out and lay lsitless.

If this doesn't exterminate them then the pesticide in the coke will do its job.

The last line is not to be taken seriously. This issue has been very extensively discussed here - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/indica-users/ and the coke suggestion emanated here..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun
Another point to consider while parking for a longer period is to protect the electrical wires from rats. Even during an overnight parking at home, it happened to me. When we park it for a longer time, it is all the more risky.

Any suggestions to get away from the rat menace??
Old 17th October 2006, 21:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

I've seen over the past many years that the current lot of drivers park the vehicle by engaging the parking brake. I learnt driving manay seasons ago under the old school method, where using the parking brake was unheard of; I am referring to Morris Minor, Landmaster, Amby, Fiat 1100 days. Parking the vehicle was taught by engaging a gear that was either the reverse or the first since the torque is highest for both.

I practice it still and also engage the parking brake. Even if one fails the other is there to prevent the vehicle from rolling (if it is on a gradient).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
In post #13, I've seen this...

What's the advantage of parking in the reverse gear and not in the parking brake ?
Old 11th November 2006, 08:02   #38
BHPian

Long term parking fro diesels....

Guyz,

This thread seems to have extensively covered the things to look into when parking your car for a long time. But, I think all posts refer to petrol cars. I own a Palio D and am travelling to Kazakhsthan by end of this month. My stay may go up to 3 months.

I am planning to hand over the keys to my dad, who wold use it sparingly (move the car around for few minutes and idle for few minutes every week or so). He has not driven this car (I never let him drive) at all, so cant expect him to do much.
Now my questions are,

1. What is the best time interval to move the car around (is 7 days good enough or should it be more frequent?) and for how long should it be driven? Also, how long should the car be idled?

2. Do the battery terminals need to be disconnected between the one week drives?

I am looking for diesel specific answers. Also please mention anything else i need to take care of. Last time when I travelled to Manila for two months, even after doing a weekly driving by a trusted neighbour, I had to replace my battery. Dont want to do it again. Please help.

Editing to add this - What happens to the central locks when the battery is disonnected.?

Last edited by basilmabraham : 11th November 2006 at 08:05.
Old 15th November 2006, 17:01   #39
BHPian

a lil bump....help please...
Old 16th November 2006, 08:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Diesels need to be started atleast once in two days. Since you stay in a tropical place the thickening of the oil etc. would not be a problem.

Idling for 10 minutes daily is a good option and if it can be driven then a run of 10 Km during the day should be fine every alternate day.

central locking is tricky question. To disconnect the battery you have to open the bonnet and if your locking system if of the remote type then you have to disengage and then open the bonnet or else the alarm will start howling.

If it is a plane jane central locking with the key, then you can lock the car with the bonnet opened and then disconnect the terminals. The lock shall still be engaged. You can open the driver side with the key and open the hood and reconnect the terminals whenever you are back. But the moment you reconnect, the lock gets disengaged. I've seen that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham
Guyz,

This thread seems to have extensively covered the things to look into when parking your car for a long time. But, I think all posts refer to petrol cars. I own a Palio D and am travelling to Kazakhsthan by end of this month. My stay may go up to 3 months.

I am planning to hand over the keys to my dad, who wold use it sparingly (move the car around for few minutes and idle for few minutes every week or so). He has not driven this car (I never let him drive) at all, so cant expect him to do much.
Now my questions are,

1. What is the best time interval to move the car around (is 7 days good enough or should it be more frequent?) and for how long should it be driven? Also, how long should the car be idled?

2. Do the battery terminals need to be disconnected between the one week drives?

I am looking for diesel specific answers. Also please mention anything else i need to take care of. Last time when I travelled to Manila for two months, even after doing a weekly driving by a trusted neighbour, I had to replace my battery. Dont want to do it again. Please help.

Editing to add this - What happens to the central locks when the battery is disonnected.?
Old 3rd January 2007, 00:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle Storage for Extended Periods / will my brand new car be okay?

I could not find an existing thread on the above topic and hence thought I can share my experiences on the same. I am right now in the USA on a long term assignment and do not expect to be back in good old motherland before 2008.

I own a Maruti Esteem 2003 and a Honda Unicorn 2005. When my onsite assignment was confirmed the first and most mind boggling question I asked myself was "How do I take care of my car and bike in my absence ?" Let me reiterate that I have always been smitten by my cars and bikes (just like anyone of our TBHPians) and I have enjoyed their company more than that of any human being. The most common response I was hearing from my friends and folks at home was to sell them off and buy new ones when I returned. Sacrilege ! How dare they say that ! That broke my heart and in fact whetted my appetite to have my faithful companions safe and sound till I came back. I ruled out the selling option (as if I had before !!) and decided to plan for their extended storage.

I was prepared for the bike while I knew it would be quite a difficult task to put my beloved Esteem into cold storage. Finally there was light at the end of the tunnel. Help came in the form of my uncle's trusted and faithful driver who agreed to take care of the car in my absence. His job was to start the engine every alternate day and take her for a brief drive every sunday with my uncle which was also the day earmarked for fuel top-ups and checking tyre pressure. I ensured that I removed both the HUs of my Kenwood Casette Player and the new Kenwood MP3 I had fixed just below the original Cassette player. I ensured I noted down the odometer reading and also filled the tank up to the brim the day I left India. As I have mentioned in a few of my earlier posts, CARS, the authorised service centre for Maruti in Chennai has taken very good care of my car since the day I bought it and so I put in a word with the Service Advisor and he assured me of prompt service of my car during my absence. Needless to say, he has kept his word and I personally scheduled the last service for my car in India sitting here in the USA. I had also left a checklist with my uncle with a list of do's and dont's and took care to write down everything to minutest detail. The list was pretty long and covered little things like the brand of fuel that needed to be filled in and how to just stop filling after the first auto cut-off happens (I have observed quite a number of people overfill their tanks even after one or two auto cut-offs not knowing the danger in doing so). After I ensured I had the list comprehensive in itself, I called the driver one Sunday and along with my uncle spent an hour with him explaining various things on the car and on the list. I still remember the grin my uncle had on his face which I interpreted as "Come on Man, this is too much" and the driver who stood like a statue most of the times. This guy is an experienced driver and I have personally seen him drive and maintain my uncle's Tavera. Yet I did not give up and the lecture went on for an hour with me asking him intermittently, "Any Questions ?" For an external observer it would have appeared foolish and stupid on my part to do this but I was hell bent on this ritual.

Now with the car being taken care of, I sat down to think of the bike which had hardly done 4000kms in about 18 months since I had bought it and there it was the gleaming red beauty which I had to put on cold storage. I decided that I do this myself without allowing a soul to interfere with my work. I stuck religiously to the section on the owner’s manual that dealt with extended storage. The bike had just been serviced a week before and hence I didn’t need to take care of too many things. But of course, it was difficult in its own way but my admiration and passion for my bike kept me going more than anything else. I started off with disconnecting the battery. Then came the most important thing to be attended which also took most of the time. It was draining the fuel from the tank and from the carburetor. I unlocked the seat and then unscrewed the bolts that firmly held the tank in its place. Now, with the tank in my hand, I drained all the fuel from the tank and yet I could see that there was fuel remaining. So I had to keep shaking the up and down for about 15 – 20 minutes till I could hear no signs of fuel moving around. Phew ! I was sweating like a pig already. I opened the can of 20W40 oil I had bought and poured it all into the fuel tank. I kept rolling the tank so that the oil would spread across to all corners of the tank. This am sure would keep the interiors of the tank from rusting. Once I was convinced that the tank had its treatment I proceeded to empty the fuel from the carburetor. Now it was the turn to remove the spark plug from its place and allow a few drops of engine oil on the piston and then put the plug back in place. I also made sure that I oiled the parts like the drive chain, foot pegs, kick starter, etc. Now with most things being taken care of, I was keen on finding a parking place (a temporary-permanent one !) which could shield my bike from everything under the sun. After a great deal of thought, I finally decided that my bike will occupy a corner of my bed room (much against the wishes of my wife and parents !) I parked the bike on the main stand after placing a rubber mat under it. Most importantly, I made sure that both the tyres were inflated to the required level and that they didn’t touch the ground. I had placed a wooden stool (tailor made to suit my requirements !) under the bike and made the chassis rest on it. I removed the mirrors and kept them safely in my cupboard so that they could show all that they want after I come back. Last but not least, I covered the bike with a tarpaulin cover so that dust doesn’t get in. And now my red beauty sleeps in peace for the last six months, waiting for its master to come and bring it back to life !!

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th December 2007 at 20:21. Reason: tags removed
Old 10th January 2007, 00:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! what a comprehensive narration and the detailed version of the steps taken to park for long duration. it reminded me of the similar steps taken to store my Bullet for more than 3 months when I was out of Delhi in the 80s. Though, both, my brother and I being bike freaks (at one point we jointly possessed a machless, truimphtwin, BSA 350 & a Norton apart from the Bullet), he was forbidden to touch my Royal Enfield for the fear of his life..!!

[quote=rr_zen;[/quote]
Old 9th October 2007, 01:37   #43
Team-BHP Support

Came back after 2 months.
Batteries were disconnected and had put silica gel all over the car.
Car starts at half crank. Use the portable inflator to full up air.
but seats(Front) and seat belts have fungus growth.

I am wondering what to do.
Should I go to an interior cleaning guy?
I am worried that they will do a superficial job with the fungus still deep inside the foam.
Since these are seat covers I presume taking them off and washing them separately will be okay, but the problem is that they are rexene/foam mix.

Any tips appreceated.
What to do about seat belts?
Old 3rd December 2007, 21:39   #44
BHPian

Vehicle Storage for Extended Periods / will my brand new car be okay?

please can anyone suggest what shuold i do,i have baught an sx4 which is now about 1 and a half month old i have to go for an imortant work out of station and can be back only after about 2or 3 months the car has ran about 2600kms will it affect the car if left unused for about 2 months i am mainly worried because it is a new car i am the only one in my family who drives ,at max my wife can only start the car will it affect the performance or anything of the car if left unused
Old 4th December 2007, 05:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

just disconnect the battery
nothing to worry

Most Viewed