Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:59   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car care during lockdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
5. Watch out for those Rats, its business as usual for them.
I don't think that rats will find unused cars any more attractive than cars that are being run daily, if that's what you meant. Car mechanics have told me the same thing in fact - to keep using cars or else, the rats will get into them, they said.

But I opened the hood of my TUV 300 a couple of weeks ago some 45 minutes after completing my 25 km commute to home and voila - a huge rat was lying right on top of the hot engine. It looked at me nonchalantly and walked away slowly. (Our resident feral cat meanwhile stretched itself out on my motorcycle that's parked nearby and yawned at me.) I then proceeded to place the packet of tobacco that I'd bought into the engine bay.

Last edited by locusjag : 23rd March 2020 at 19:00.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:03   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
1. Ensure to start your car atleast once a day, switch on AC, check all electrical/electronic components to see they are working well.
Starting everyday will be an overkill!

All cars are capable of staying in hibernation mode for a period of one month easily without any extra measures to be followed.

Even if you want to start, do it weekly.
bluevolt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:13   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Starting everyday will be an overkill!
Even if you want to start, do it weekly.
Even once a fortnight is more than enough UNLESS there are known issues like a weak battery etc. Best is to drive it or get someone to do so for 2-3 km every fortnight including running the AC.

My other few bits:
Disconnect ALL aftermarket accessories which feed off battery like GPS trackers & dash cams which maybe hardwired and could be consuming minute amounts of electricity without your active knowledge.

Do NOT park your vehicle in a covered garage (for long term storage) immediately after washing it. Dry it out very well in sunny weather to ensure all in-contact bits like door seals and brake discs/drums are dried out.

Do NOT engage the handbrake - instead keep the vehicle in reverse, first or second gears. Keep wheel chocks or bricks behind/front of 2 tyres.

Slightly over-inflate your tyres (2/3 psi) more than necessary if going away for a longish period.
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 13:17   #304
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do NOT engage the handbrake - instead keep the vehicle in reverse, first or second gears. Keep wheel chocks or bricks behind/front of 2 tyres.
Could you please explain why not to engage the Handbrake. I would like to learn why and why not. Currently, I have got a duplex garage, I engage the Handbrake and leave the gear in first.
Old 24th March 2020, 13:36   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Could you please explain why not to engage the Handbrake. I would like to learn why and why not. Currently, I have got a duplex garage, I engage the Handbrake and leave the gear in first.
1. Possibility of wheel getting locked due to corrosion. If you leave the parking brakes disengaged, later when you start off, the brakes will only squeal for a while and the surface corrosion will be removed in a couple of brake applications. But locked wheels are more difficult.

2. Rear brakes are usually drum brake units and even though parking brakes are cable operated it still puts unnecessary pressure on the wheel cylinders( hydraulic) as the shoes are extended when parking brake is engaged.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 24th March 2020 at 13:37.
--gKrish-- is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 17:52   #306
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
2. Rear brakes are usually drum brake.
Does this apply to disc breaks? Also, how about cars equipped with electronic parking brakes? E-brake is automatically engaged when the car is parked.

If I don't engage the Handbrake, doesn't the Car roll on a slope(in duplex garage case)?

Thank you in advance.
Old 24th March 2020, 18:51   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Does this apply to disc breaks?
To some extent yes, but brake pads do not fuse to rotor like in the case of brake shoe lining and hub.

Quote:
Also, how about cars equipped with electronic parking brakes? E-brake is automatically engaged when the car is parked.
Most probably there would be an option to disable it in the settings. If not, you can also disconnect the line to the actuator.

Quote:
If I don't engage the Handbrake, doesn't the Car roll on a slope(in duplex garage case)?
If you can secure the wheels using straps, then it should be fine. But in the case of long term storage, it is best to keep the car on level ground. For a couple of months this seriously is not worth the hassle.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 24th March 2020 at 19:20.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 19:05   #308
BHPian

Quote:
I also think it is better not to engage the handbrake if the car is going to be parked for weeks. Even more so if first/reverse gear is engaged.

No way the car can move when parked in gear, right?
Old 24th March 2020, 19:31   #309
GTB
BHPian

I would take my car out once or twice a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
No way the car can move when parked in gear, right?
I believe not, just wanted to be sure on slant surface. I wanted to hear from someone for peace of mind.
I do see all cars parked with reverse or first gear and handbrake engaged.
Old 24th March 2020, 19:56   #310
BHPian

Car care in lockdown period

Covid been the talk of the town, most of us are self isolating and avoiding to go out unless its demanding.

Many of us by now might not have take the car out of the parking for at least 4 - 5 days and it might continue for some more time.

Wanted to get a view on the care that our car should be given in the period of lock down.

Few questions are,

1. Should we keep the tank full?
I have an habit of filling up every week as I used to cover close to 200+ kms in a week

2. Should the tyre pressure be checked?
Just in case low pressure with stand still going to take an hit on the tyres

3. What should we with our periodic maintenance due?
Mine is already due for 40K periodic maintenance. I have driven almost 700 kms over and above the said kms. I am avoiding to give the car for service as its not urgent at the moment and I am not going to drive much. Though my kms has crossed but from the duration I still have a good 6 months - I assume this shouldn't be a concern.

4. Should we need to crank the engine and make it run for few minutes couple of times a week?

Though those were the old days where a diesel vehicle should not be left idle for long but give the current situation should we do this? At least for those who is on a 3 - 4 years older battery? Just to make sure that it doesn't give up cranking when we need it.

5. How about car wash?

My regular routine is below but at this time of hour I don't think this is required dusting with Jopasu should do good,
Daily: Dusting with Jopasu

Weekly: Car washed with PROKLEAR Waterless Car Wash Kit Concentrate RAW Xtreme CX Carnauba Wax

Fortnightly / Monthly:
Car washed with Shine care 3m car wash shampoo
Exterior polished with Formula 1 613762 Carnauba Paste Wax
Dashboard dressed with 3M IA260166367 Auto Specialty Dashboard Dresser
Anything else that we should be doing?
hardilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 20:25   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car care in lockdown period

Some thoughts which are all based on a certain degree of prolonged car storage, say anything over 6-8 weeks at least, but not more than 6-9 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
1. Should we keep the tank full?
Keeping your tank full is always advised. The less air above the fuel, the less condensation, the less problem with the fuel. Always check and smell the fuel before you start it for the first time after a prolonged period of time. If it smells of rotten eggs, it’s gone off. Don’t start it, if you do you will not only have to clean out the tank, but also the whole fuel system. So try avoiding starting with bad fuel!

Quote:
2. Should the tyre pressure be checked?
If possible always add 0,5 bar when storing cars for longer periods. It minimises the risks of the tyres somewhat deforming.

Quote:
3. What should we with our periodic maintenance due?
I would not bother too much at this point in time.

Quote:
4. Should we need to crank the engine and make it run for few minutes couple of times a week?
Definitely not! Running an engine at idle for a couple of minutes and then shutting it down, is just about the worst thing you can do to an engine. At idle the engine will not reach normal operating temperatures and that means you will have increased wear and tear on particularly the pistons/liners.

Quote:
5. How about car wash?
Always a good idea to keep the car reasonably tidy. Especially bird droppings can destroy your paint if left for long.

Just a few more thoughts:
Try to park the car horizontally and leave it in gear, or P, but try not use the handbrake. (it could seize)

You need to think about your battery! Depending on your car, battery etc, whether you have an immobiliser, on many modern cars the battery is likely to drain in 8-15 weeks easily. Purely due to some of the electronics still being powered. The easiest way is to disconnect the battery, that would also mean any alarms and or immobilisers do not work. So you need to think it through. The best way for a battery, whether you leave it connected in the car, disconnect it, or take it out and store it, is to hook it up to a proper trickle charger. Not possible for everybody of course. But if you disconnect a battery that is in a decent state, it will normally last for quite a few months!

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 24th March 2020 at 20:31.
Jeroen is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 22:50   #312
Senior - BHPian

Related thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-donts-21.html (Long-term Parking : Do's and Don'ts).

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th March 2020 at 00:07. Reason: Removed note to mod
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 23:40   #313

Slightly different question.. I just purchased a pre owned Tata Hexa 2 days back, the day it completed 2 years. Now, I need to get the servicing done but all service centres are closed. Further, I understand delay in servicing can become an issue if any warranty related servicing is done. Any suggestion what to do in such scenario?
Old 24th March 2020, 23:59   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzworld View Post
Slightly different question.. I just purchased a pre owned Tata Hexa 2 days.Any suggestion what to do in such scenario?
For next 21 days, you will need to forget about your car's health, warranty etc.

Just don't take any risk of venturing out. Meanwhile all service centers must be closed as well.

I believe manufacturers will treat this as exception condition and honour warranty etc
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 00:51   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzworld View Post
Slightly different question.. I just purchased a pre owned Tata Hexa 2 days back, the day it completed 2 years. Now, I need to get the servicing done but all service centres are closed. Further, I understand delay in servicing can become an issue if any warranty related servicing is done. Any suggestion what to do in such scenario?
Your answer lies in this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...st-july20.html
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks