Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 20:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

in extreme temperatures, especially if you wear shorts in summers, the leather will be very uncomfortable.

the only reason i did not get leather in my car is because it feels too cold in subzero temperatures.

@mithun, why it will be good in cold regions?
Old 21st February 2008, 20:42   #17
BHPian

Art Leather is quite uncomfortable. Recently travelled from Mumbai airport to pune in a hired Lancer petrol. It had the art leather seats (the beige color) and it was quite uncomfortable through out the 2 hours which we took in the afternoon.

Although the AC was on full blow, my back was completely wet due to the seats. even my wife said the same thing. We both decided to scrap the plan of getting art leather in our car after that.
Old 21st February 2008, 21:29   #18
BHPian

well I am not worried about hot as in summers I drive with AC on all the time. In Kolkata winter is not too harsh. So I think I will go for the seat covers as I don't have any alternative to change the beige colour. So I think I will go ahead for either G-Sport or Stanely around 7500/-.

As for the car cover. Any idea which brand to buy and what the price is approximately?
Old 23rd February 2008, 15:25   #19
BANNED

Quote:
@mithun, why it will be good in cold regions?
Since it will make you hot !

Also see...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...umbai-y-n.html
Old 23rd February 2008, 15:44   #20
BHPian

Yes! breathing leather seat covers are avalaible in india. Infact i am using one made by Stanley seating. It is not too sticky and i dont sweat in the back when i go for a long drive with or without A/c.
Old 23rd February 2008, 16:01   #21
BHPian

stanley website...

hey guys,

any leads on where i can get some of the stanley leather seat covers for a tata safari - any heads up on websites etc will be much appreciated!!!

also wondering if it makes sense to shell out the 35k for covers from tata themselves....

cheers amigos
Old 24th February 2008, 09:24   #22
BHPian

hey.

right ,

i googled...i found!

only thing now is that i need to shift the backside and see whether this works out cheaper (unlikely) to do the seats from stanley or to use the tata seat covers themselves.

i had resigned to using artificial leather, now i'm not sure what with all of your comments.

anyone used the stanley guys here in delhi or anywhere else? might help to know experience as well as costs across the board.

cheers.
Old 24th February 2008, 13:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
This might be a newbie question, but here it is anyway.
Is there any technical/health advantages that leather offers over fabric.
Health Advantages? Definitely not for the 2 cows who are made to pay..
Seeing the pointers form the experts on the forum, i think Leather seat covers make for better and longer lasting and more comfortable options compared to Art leather seats.
Art leather on the other hand is more feasible to change once in 1.5-2 years since they wear an old look pretty soon. I have experienced Art leather in my Indica and the back really sweats out if the AC is off. Very uncomfortable in summers.
Old 24th February 2008, 14:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why cant you get the center part in cloth and the sides in leather/ AR, so that its comfortable on the back(no sweat) and gives a pretty decent look too.
Old 25th February 2008, 22:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The only disadvantage i find in leather seats in my elantra is they are slippery,whenever i brake all the stuff on rear seats slide down.
Old 25th February 2008, 23:36   #26
BHPian

To what was asked about G-Sport, well i used it on my Indica for 4 years and has done it to my santro now. Though they say it is art leather but it certainly doesn't feel like rexin, it feels a level below stanley.

Indica was normal that cost me 8000 for seats, gear knob, steering and door panel. that was back in 2003. However i had the perforated one done on my santro which cost me 9500 for seat, steering, gear knob.

My back used to sweat on long drives while on the normal ones but on the perforated so far i have not had this problem.
Old 26th February 2008, 10:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
To what was asked about G-Sport, well i used it on my Indica for 4 years and has done it to my santro now. Though they say it is art leather but it certainly doesn't feel like rexin, it feels a level below stanley.

Indica was normal that cost me 8000 for seats, gear knob, steering and door panel. that was back in 2003. However i had the perforated one done on my santro which cost me 9500 for seat, steering, gear knob.

My back used to sweat on long drives while on the normal ones but on the perforated so far i have not had this problem.
what are the colours you can get for the perforated seats for g sport? and does the package include the entire shebang of seats, steering wheel, gear knob AND the side panels?

i'm not particurly keen on the red black combo and would much rather have a solid nuetral colour to the insides.

how much more expensive is stanley though?
Old 26th February 2008, 10:41   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
The one problem with Leather seats is that you've to use the AC always(in India which is having a tropical climate).[b][/i]
I really don't know how true is this. Mine is almost four years old and I don't use AC always.

I'm yet to see any crack or other damage.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I really don't know how true is this. Mine is almost four years old and I don't use AC always.

I'm yet to see any crack or other damage.
He might be talking about the leather getting hot in the sun and burnt bottoms.

-- Torqy
Old 26th February 2008, 20:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
what are the colours you can get for the perforated seats for g sport? and does the package include the entire shebang of seats, steering wheel, gear knob AND the side panels?

i'm not particurly keen on the red black combo and would much rather have a solid nuetral colour to the insides.

how much more expensive is stanley though?
All colours are avialble for the perforated type. I did orange and black. The orange looked kinda like red on the sample.

I think G-sport got butterscotch, black, grey, orange, white, violet, brown and two more colours. Above the combination of colours their are many combos in which it can be stitched. Single colours too can be done pretty well with the folds coming in the center.

Without the side panel is 9,500, with side panel it comes to 10,500. For stanley on the other hand is 11,000 i think without the side panel and 12,500 or so with the side panel.

I did mine in Kerala and i was told if i am to go for Stanley they will have to remove the steering and the gear-knob and send it to the company for the leather to be stitched on. As for G-sport teh steering is a cover but the gear-knob they did remove and had to get it stitched on. This is cause while i did my Indica teh knob they send was not a perfect fit as the original.

The last thing i will add on about leather as all have said is that it is easy to maintain and doesn't smell bad. If properly polished it gives a fresh smell. 4 years of use and i never noticed a stitch undone or the seat loosing its fit and shape.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks