Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2008, 21:22   #1
BHPian

Basic question about Leather seats

This might be a newbie question, but here it is anyway.

What advantages do leather seats offer as compared to fabric seats? Leave alone the "exclusivity and looks". Is there any technical/health advantages that leather offers over fabric.

Side question:
Are breathing perforated leather seats available in india?
Old 27th January 2008, 21:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Here are my observations

1. Easy to clean & maintain.
2. Gives off a neat smell in the cabin if properly polished.
3. Almost nil accumulation of dust.
4. Long life.
Old 27th January 2008, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

My two cents, in addition to what John has said above.

1. Better cooling of the cabin when A/C is on.
2. No odour like how fabric seats emanate at times.
3. The original seat beneath is protected from damage due to any liquid spills.
Old 27th January 2008, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

To add to EL, it will be "spill proof". Even if you spill the liquid items on the seat covers, it will not absorb and leave stain on the seat cover.

Regarding your 2nd query, just contact STANLEY LEATHERS and you may be able to get it.
Old 27th January 2008, 21:44   #5
BHPian

So Leather will last longer than art leather?
Old 27th January 2008, 22:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
So Leather will last longer than art leather?
Most certainly it will. Art leather has a pretty short lifespan.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 27th January 2008 at 22:05.
Old 27th January 2008, 22:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

What is art leather? Its artificial leather, that means its not leather, it just looks like its leather, so how can it be compared to leather? Just cause it looks like leather? Nah!
Old 28th January 2008, 00:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The name 'art leather' should be banned.

I don't recall a term so artfully aimed at fooling people! (Well, Windows Vista, I suppose... --- just joking, for those who've read my comments in other threads).

The most easily maintained and stain-free must surely be plastic of some sort? Also the least breathable and the most uncomfortable to sit on. The time I left a large bar of chocolate on a car seat in the sun, I was glad the seats were plastic. I never got it all out of the stitching, but most was easily scraped off..

Leather, being skin, is naturally breathable. How stain resistant it is is probably dependent on its quality and the quality of its finishing and how it is cared for. One of my wife's best handbags now has a stain where ink from a broken pen seeped through from the inside

Keeping the original seats in good condition is a very good way to make a nice impression with the car when it is sold.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2008, 10:53   #9
BHPian

art leather is basically rexin... it used to be lousy quality earlier but now it is improved... However,it has its basic defect of making one sweat a lot and a very sticky feeling to it....HOWEVER....

art leather is used in combination with leather for seats to reduce costs! If you go to say Stanley,all body contact portions are leather and others like the backside of the front seats will be art leather.... You cant tell the difference visually between leather and art-leather in these combos.... The life span of this new art leather is as good as leather nowadays in such a combination....

I would not recommend art leather for body contact portions of a seat...its a lousy feel compared to leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
What is art leather? Its artificial leather, that means its not leather, it just looks like its leather, so how can it be compared to leather? Just cause it looks like leather? Nah!
Old 4th February 2008, 10:35   #10
BANNED

The one problem with Leather seats is that you've to use the AC always(in India which is having a tropical climate).

Other advantages with Leather seats...

1. Snob feeling
2. Good for cold regions or where winter is intensive.
Old 4th February 2008, 10:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well, leather sticks in summer (without A/C) and chills in winter. So you always require air conditioning.
Old 4th February 2008, 17:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Leather sticks? I don't think so. Never had that problem. Probably Bangalore climate is not so hot as Chennai or Delhi.

Actually if you use pseudo leather or rexin you'll need the AC more than you need it for leather. Fabric seat covers are the best in that case. However they can get soggy due to sweat/water and stain/get dirty easier.
Old 20th February 2008, 19:51   #13
BHPian

Hi guys. I went to the car accessory shop to purchase the seat covers. I did not want to go for pure leather as I don't prefer to use animal product. Therefore I asked him for the best quality substitute for it. The dealer showed me a G-Sport marterial artificial leather and is asking Rs. 7500/- for it. He said it will look as original as pure leather. But after reading the forums here I have two questions:

1) Is 7500/- a lot of money for the artificial cover(although best possible)?Many users say that its around 3500 rs.
2) Does this mean that my car will get heated more?
3) Which other alternatives do you suggest. Another dealer suggested me Stanely.

DO ring in with your suggestions and advice soon because i got to do the needful as soon as possible

Also I am buying the door gaurds and bumper gaurds @ rs. 250 and rs. 600 respectively.
Old 21st February 2008, 12:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Not an expert on this, but 7500 seems to be a high price for art leather. Even Maruti dealer quoted a lower price

I got it for 3300.
Old 21st February 2008, 17:20   #15
BHPian

As i said earlier the guy told me that there are every types of art leather ranging from 1800 rs. to 12000 rs. I am going for the seat cover basically because i don't like the default beige colour fabric seat on my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks