Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Swift Diesel - Clutch Rattle at 2000km

I've recently run almost 2000km on my Swift D so far and was on a day trip to Mysore, when my clutch started rattling whenever I use the gear to slow down.
This happens only on downshifts, not while speeding up and occasionaly when the clutch engages from cruising to when I hit the gas. The clutch was alwasy hard but I thought that this could be due to the beefed up clutch for the diesel?
Also I have been reading through Busa's post and I have an issue with my gears too.
Its tough to slot into first and practically impossible, sometimes, to get into reverse gear unless I move the car forward first.
I plan to take it to the service station in a couple of days. Any suggestions on what I should ask them to look out for are welcome.
Old 28th January 2008, 12:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

can you give more details of clutch rattling, is it shudder?

Due to the nature of the torque, unlike petrol cars, diesel engines dont like engine breaking at low revs. Tell the dealer of clutch shudder and they should be able to help.

Gear shift, i dont have much clue. Maybe BUSA can help since he has first hand experience.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Due to the nature of the torque, unlike petrol cars, diesel engines dont like engine breaking at low revs. Tell the dealer of clutch shudder and they should be able to help.
Jags,

Can you please explain this in detail (again ). It would help me a lot
Old 28th January 2008, 13:56   #4
BHPian

The clutch rattle comes out like a clattering sound when I brake with the engine. Kind of repeated tak-tak sounds, like when a car with a faulty steering tries to turn.
Its not there when I downshift at lower rpms though.
Old 28th January 2008, 14:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
The clutch rattle comes out like a clattering sound when I brake with the engine. Kind of repeated tak-tak sounds, like when a car with a faulty steering tries to turn.
Its not there when I downshift at lower rpms though.
This i dont think is a clutch shudder, check with dealer. Car will jerk but no tak tak noise, more of a soft thud sound from the mounts is what one would get.

@eddy: The torque makes the car engine and tranny shudder when RPM goes low, you need to depress the clutch and/or down shift thats the only way out.

While starting off (moving) if the clutch shudders then the clutch settings can be tweaked a lil (not much since its hydrolic and has very limited settings). Am not sure what they do but i used to have this issue before 3rd service (reported to M.A.S.S) but after the service this was sorted out. Only difference i could feel was the clutch travel was lil different (more free play) after the service.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@eddy: The torque makes the car engine and tranny shudder when RPM goes low, you need to depress the clutch and/or down shift thats the only way out.

While starting off (moving) if the clutch shudders then the clutch settings can be tweaked a lil (not much since its hydrolic and has very limited settings). Am not sure what they do but i used to have this issue before 3rd service (reported to M.A.S.S) but after the service this was sorted out. Only difference i could feel was the clutch travel was lil different (more free play) after the service.
My observation is that the RPM shoots up if I downshift. (If i downshift from 4 to 3 at 1000 rpm, the RPM shoots up to 1800 like a spike).

Also I have to depress the clutch/brake to control the car from moving ahead, probably because of the torque.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My observation is that the RPM shoots up if I downshift. (If i downshift from 4 to 3 at 1000 rpm, the RPM shoots up to 1800 like a spike).

Also I have to depress the clutch/brake to control the car from moving ahead, probably because of the torque.
TRUE

Old 28th January 2008, 16:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is new issue I heard about Swift. Best way is contact your service center. They should give you better solution.

OT: Why can't we have single thread about Swift and its issues in that way this Forum can be maintained neat and there are so many issues we are facing from Swift and by having one single thread it would be easy to give good presentation to MUL Team so they might come up wiht better solution when they launch new Swift may be in 2009? lol

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

lol its not a new issue (clutch shudder in Swift D) and this was discussed earlier in the forum, dont remember where. I honestly feel that this is/was more to do with driver error as was in my case, and once i get used to the Diesel Torque curve issue was more or less gone, again 3rd service helped further.

Though Tak Tak sound is a new one and hence we are discussing.

Sorry i wouldnt agree to one thread for all issues, coz at the end of the day searching with one thread with 1000 replies and report is a pain. I cant find half the threads i posted when i want it !!
Old 28th January 2008, 16:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TRUE

Which means its normal ?
Old 28th January 2008, 16:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

well try changing the gear rod bushes and gear oil, and if still not resolved then, ask the service center guy to check out for faulty gear synchronizers, i think i am facing similar issue but not to the extent you are, my car is only 600 kms done! so need to check it out sooner! please do this asap otherwise you might end up changing the clutch plates as well, AFAIK the gear synchronizers are the main culprits which has been having a lots of problems in lots of swift diesels as of now!

maruti is getting these manufactured by other companies for the sake of cost cutting and this is the end result! we can definately get these changed under warranty and hope that they do not trouble us again!

Last edited by rider60 : 28th January 2008 at 16:49. Reason: typo error
Old 4th February 2008, 12:16   #12
BHPian

I haven't been able to take the car to the service station so far, but the problem seems to have worsened now.
At the moment the rattle occurs when the car is slowing down too, no clutch depression , nothing. Anytime I slowdown in 2nd or 3rd gear, the sound starts off.
I haven't driven the car much since the first post, have only taken it out twice in the last week.
Taking it for service on Wednesday, so I guess I'll find out more then.
Old 6th February 2008, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Sorry for the double post, but I took the car to the service station today.
The service engineer comes along and has a look. His take is my clutch has no play on it at all and takes it away to adjust the clutch.
He comes back 10 minutes later with the noise still happening. Oddly enough it only occurs when the car is in reverse or when I am downshifting and breaking.
Another guy (mechanic) opens up the bonnet and has a look. He twists something with his hand and presto !! , the sound is gone.

Well, it turned out that the sound was due to the engine coming in contact with the horn from my alarm system. The horn was mounted in such a position that the engine would come into contact with it when the chassis moved downwards relative to the engine(during braking or in reverse). The repeated vibration of the engine against the horn sounded like a clatter to me

Please feel free to make fun of me. I am off to look for the "I'm Stupid" smiley
Old 7th February 2008, 10:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The repeated vibration of the engine against the horn sounded like a clatter to me.

Please feel free to make fun of me. I am off to look for the "I'm Stupid" smiley
Just because you showed concern for your car doesnt make you stupid

Btw even though Iv only completed 1600kms or so and now the gears have really eased.Reverse gear issue rarely surfaces anymore. It could be due to the fact that iv been doing mostly peak city, bumper to bumper traffic with lot of downshifts.
Old 7th February 2008, 11:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good mechanic

Quote:

Well, it turned out that the sound was due to the engine coming in contact with the horn from my alarm system. The repeated vibration of the engine against the horn sounded like a clatter to me

I was just about to suggest you look at your alarm horn. If you believe that then I have a used car I would like to sell you.

Most Viewed