Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 21:06   #1
BHPian

Clutch for Lancer

Well here I am with my story...!

Got my main clutch seal replaced two years back, after a first time ever engine flush unplugged it- At that time the workshop advised that the Plates are good to go till 1 Lakh KM, but said as a preventive measure change the bearing, which I did-since they were talking about oil damage on it due to seal leak anyway.

Now after that the car did around 10,000 Odd Km and less than 1000 KM in the last year. Problem is that the Pedal has become spongy, means The pedal has to be depressed deep to lift the car in the gear, No burning smell, No pick-up drop, No RPM Fluctuation, Once on the roll the pedal still feels spongy but better.

Got it checked up, turns out the Clutch Bearing which was replaced is at fault, but actual diagnosis only after the entire assembly is checked.

I was intending to Change the Plates this time along with the Clutch bearing, So wanted to request for your suggestions on which make should I opt for.

I don't know the OEM for Lancer SFXi,but assuming it has to be either Daikin or Valeo.

Daikin is now bought over by exedy, So which one should be the replacement- The options I was looking at .- Valeo / Bosch / Exedy / Daikin(Subject to Availability).

What is the Model number and approx price est.

Not looking at Performance clutch systems.

Also has anyone tried Bosch Super 4 plugs- The ones with 4 Tip, would it be a good replacement for the Stock NGK, Not going in for Iridium as of now.
Old 29th January 2008, 00:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

i would recommend staying away from valeo since i have bad experience with them twice. twice i replaced them in baleno but same problem has surfaced. once heated up like long stop and go traffic and ghats it starts to loose hold. its nothing to do with my driving style.
exedy, daikin any time recommended.
Old 29th January 2008, 08:28   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post

Daikin is now bought over by exedy, So which one should be the replacement- The options I was looking at .- Valeo / Bosch / Exedy / Daikin(Subject to Availability).

What is the Model number and approx price est.

Not looking at Performance clutch systems.

Also has anyone tried Bosch Super 4 plugs- The ones with 4 Tip, would it be a good replacement for the Stock NGK, Not going in for Iridium as of now.

Hi,

You can go in for either Valeo or Ceekay which are both good for regular use. Not sure of exact prices but a complete set should cost you approx 6.5-7.5k.

Have used the Super 4 which are not bad. At the end it all depends on your application. Super 4 should cost you approx Rs1500/-a set, NGK Iridium's 2500/- & your regular OE plugs 500- 600 a set. All depends on what you want. I believe in using the best for my car. Its always not about HP gains when a plug or wires or uprated ignition is recommended. There is more to it then just HP.

Viper
Old 29th January 2008, 08:38   #4
BHPian

Get the Exedy Sport Tuff Stage 1 Clutch.
It is meant as a OEM replacement. But transfers a lot more power to the Transmission than the OEM clutch ever did. Trust me am running one and its LOVELY.
Meant for Start/stop Traffic conditions. So it is also light on the foot and no throttle blips required like Stage 2 and stage 3 Clutches.
They can be a PAIN in traffic.
It should be around 13 K for a original exedy Stage 1 clutch .
Old 29th January 2008, 10:45   #5
BHPian

So most recommended is exedy clutch system, I will check this out in the market, also look at Bosch clutch systems.

At the Auto Expo-I spoke with one Testing engineer from Bosch Bangalore, he said to use Bosch Platinum Tip @ Rs 400 per plug- Said it will be slightly below Iridium Tip in performance, but miles apart from the OEM and Regular.

Although, I understand Plugs alone don't make a difference- but as it is I prefer the car stock.

Will check both these things out and try to post a Clutch change Pic tutorial also. Thanks guys.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

My OHC is geeting exedy stage 1 clutch, should see how it will perform....
Old 29th January 2008, 19:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

does four prong spark plug give 4 spark or does each one fire at a given time as per requirement?
Old 29th January 2008, 23:42   #8
BHPian

it sparks once each time, as it should- however the spark is more consistent with the availibilty of 4 electrodes, this also increases the life of the plug considerably due to wear on each of the electrode tips.

Still not yet checked on the pricing and part availability since being Tuesday,weekly off for Most of South Delhi shops.

Recieved a courtesy call from BOSCH center,I had enquired for at the Expo, urns out they do not have the BOSCH Clutch in stock for Lancer, says it will be 15-20 days for the part to come through when they place an order.....now that was slow.

However said, Fuel Injection cleaning and other items are available, for FI Cleaning- asking for Rs.200 service charge. will also try to check them out.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Get the Exedy Sport Tuff Stage 1 Clutch.
It is meant as a OEM replacement. But transfers a lot more power to the Transmission than the OEM clutch ever did. Trust me am running one and its LOVELY......It should be around 13 K for a original exedy Stage 1 clutch .
Sorry for going OT, but did not want to start a new thread. I am looking to buy a Stage 1 Exedy clutch kit for my g13b (Esteem MPFI) engine. Could Tool or someone please share the Product code for the same.

Also, site below has a few different Clutches for different applications. So if I wanted a Stage 1, would a Organic Kit be better or the Ceramic. My application is Street use.

Exedy - Spec Sheet

Thanks in advance

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 16th October 2008 at 11:37.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
So if I wanted a Stage 1, would a Organic Kit be better or the Ceramic. My application is Street use.
is ceram(etallic) available for stage 1? i don't think.
Old 16th October 2008, 20:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, what are the good brands in clutch plates for the lancer diesel?
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Bump!! Someone please provide the part number for Exedy Stage 1 Clutch for 16v Esteem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
is ceram(etallic) available for stage 1? i don't think.
Not sure, but thats what the link in my previous post says.
Old 5th December 2008, 16:57   #13
BHPian

Guys, I own a maruti esteem 98 carb, 61kms run & its clutch is so hard that it causes knee pain for me frequently. I have decided to change the clutch assembly & want to go for one which will make my driving easier in Bangalore Traffic.

How is exedy? Do they include both pressure plate & clutch plate? What is the cost?

Should I stick to the stock clutches? Appreciate your inputs on this.
Old 5th December 2008, 17:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

exedy is good had it on my city...should not be more then 5 agian i guess it has variants.

where you planning to get it fixed?
Old 5th December 2008, 19:46   #15
BHPian

hii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
exedy is good had it on my city...should not be more then 5 agian i guess it has variants.

where you planning to get it fixed?

I haven't decided if I want to go for the stock or performance clutch. But few reports say that exedy stage 1 wear out quicker than the stock clutch.
My aim is to make the car better for city driving. I even have plans to fit an FFE this month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks