Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2005, 02:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Problem with indicators/blinkers

Hi guys, i need ur urgent help. There's an indicator problem with my clio. When i turn on the indicator (on any side), the lights don't blink, they just remain on. Neither is there any cut-cut sound. Same is the case when i turn on the emergency lights, they don't flicker. A few months ago the switch for the emergency light had to be replaced and then everything was fine until today. So all u experts, please help..
Old 14th January 2005, 02:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Deeps,

Sounds like u have a problem with your thermal flasher.
Getting it changed should be a 1minute job, and the part itself should cost less than $5.

For more info check out - HowStuffWorks.com - How Turnsignals Work

cya
R
Old 14th January 2005, 15:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks a lot rehaan. I'll get the thing changed asap. That saves another trip to the mech. thanks to team-bhp!!
Old 14th January 2005, 15:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey Deeps,

It could just be a simple case of a wire grounding out. Check the wiring first before replacing any parts. If you say the switch for the hazard lights was changed recently, the problem could be traced back to that. Maybe it was not installed securely.
Old 14th January 2005, 16:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey rtech, thanks for the help. I also thought that the problem could have been due to the switch. So i took it out and reinstalled it but it didn't cure the problem. I talked to a guy at an accessories shop and he also said that its the thremal switch that needs to be changed. He showed me 2 switches. One had 3 pins, the other had 4. he said that i need to ckeck the current switch to see whow many pins that has and then choose the correct switch. But here he was quoting a price 13 Euros which much more than what Rehaan said. But thats no big deal. The guy refused to actually install the switch saying that the shop only sells parts. So rehaan, can this be done by someone like me? I know where the fuse box is located. And if its only a matter of locating the switch and taking it out and then installing a new one, then i can probably do it myself.
Old 14th January 2005, 21:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Deeps,

Well i dont know about the Clio, but the flasher may be located in the fuse box. Once you identify it, it should be as easy as changing a fuse.... (pull out old one, push in new one)
However Rtech does have a point, ie theres a slight possibility that after u spend 13euros it still might not work because it wasnt a problem with the flasher anyways, but i feel it is the flasher...

Another option you might have is to order the part online if you want to try to save a few bucks.

Give it a shot, make sure the car is turned off.
Keep us informed
cya
R
Old 15th January 2005, 23:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ok, i got the problem fixed today. I couldn't change the flasher myself as i couldn't locate it in the fuse box. In fact the flasher didn't need to be changed. The mechanic just took it out, checked the circuitry and then reinstalled it. Then everything worked perfectly. So it was probably some kind of loose connection. Thanks a lot for the help rtech and rehaan.
Old 16th January 2005, 00:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

LOL,

Sometimes the best way to fix something is to unplug it and then plug it in again :P
(Somtimes the problem is that its not even plugged in...)

If you dont mind, im just curious to know if / and how much this costed $$$ ?

Glad we cld help out.
cya
R
Old 16th January 2005, 20:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, since no part was changed i paid 10Euros for the labor of just identifying the flasher, checking its condition and putting it back in! Oh i also went to Renault to ask abt the flasher and they said that it'd cost me 35Euros for the part (the same thing that the accesories shop guy was selling for 13Euros) and the labor was free of charge. But they said i'd have to wait till Monday and leave the car for a few hours. I didn't really want wait that long so i just took it to the mechanic i knew and he did it on the spot in abt 2 mins. Now that i know where the flasher is located in the fuse box, i can just replace it myself if there is any problem in the future. Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: Problem with indicators/blinkers

Need some help in rectifying a small issue with the turn indicator.

I gave my i10 irde for servicing at Advaith Hyundai, Outer Ring Road, Bangalore. The turn indicators were functioning properly when I gave the car for service.

After servicing, the right turn indicator is flashing very fast (probably twice as fast compared to the left one). The left indicator is working properly.

What could possibly be the issue ? Is it necessary to rectify this at the earliest ? The service centre is far away from my residence, I don't feel like visiting the service centre for this small issue.

Rohan
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

One of the bulbs on the right side indicators has failed. hence it flashes at double speed. A simple job of changing the faulty bulb is required.
Old 23rd July 2019, 17:05   #12
BHPian

Hello BHPians.

While returning home from college, my car's lower part (between the wheelbase) got hit by a speed breaker. And after 5 seconds, when I used the right turn indicator to turn, it worked fine. And after about 10 minutes of travel, I had to turn right again. When I turned on the indicator, it didn't work. Could there be any relation between the hit and the non-working of the indicator? The right turn indicator is not working, the left indicator is working fine and the hazard indicator is partially working (left side alone, but the time interval between two blinks is reduced). Please help!

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 23rd July 2019 at 17:22.
Old 23rd July 2019, 21:39   #13
BHPian

I took my Wagonr to the workshop. The owner of the workshop saw the problem and told me that the wire connecting the right side turn indicator (at the fender) had been bitten by rats. The workshop people replaced the old wire with a new one and the problem was solved.
Old 24th August 2019, 09:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problem with indicators/blinkers

My dad's 2005 Swift brake lights including the high mount stop light works intermittentently.
When I was trying to figure out what the issue is, I noticed whenever the brake light does turn on, the engine rpm drops quite a bit.(Standing)
I'm suspecting a short somewhere.

The 14th year service was done last weekend and the service centre didn't bother rectifying it.
Before I visit them again, wanted to be sure what can be the cause.
Old 24th August 2019, 09:38   #15
BHPian

Re: Problem with indicators/blinkers

I would say isolate the problem first, since you mention brake lights, i would remove all the three bulb connectors and then disconnect one by one to see which one causes rpm drop, once you have found that you can work your way in finding out whether the wire is short or is there some earthing related issue.

Clean all the terminals while your at it.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks