Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 16:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Folks. Here is my 2 cents.
I had Camry Automatic, which has P-N-D-1-2 sequence on the shift. The 1 and 2 are same as S and W what we are talking about I gues. Its just down-gear Once and Down-gear Twice when you need to - accelerate / climb uphill with load faster / go down-hill with better control. (The same as you down-shift in Manual Transmission cars).

As far as braking from high speeds, my experience is below:
I had driven Camry-stick shift for 4 years in Saudi Arabia, where speeds like 180 kmph on higways is normal. (no cops could ever watch that vast desert highways those days...)
While crusing on such higway at 180-190 kmph, suddenly from nowhere group of Camels would pop up on the highway and Man... I would have to really screeeeech brake.
My sequence (though within seconds) would be - Take of foot from accl pedal / press the Brake slightly / press clutch to downshift and shift gear from 5 to 3 directly / release clutch / brake real hard without pressing the clutch. You get the best possible braking distance. Once you are in control, under 60 kmph, press clutch and take gear to the right mode.

Later, I switched to Camry Automatic and really in the first few instances, I was scared about the brake response. It sure did not give me the feeling of safety as the MT.

Then I learnt to get the best out of the car for braking as follows - Take foot from acclr / just touch the brake pedal for a second / watch the speed to come under 100 kmph and then press the brake pedal progressively hard. Never stomp on the pedal. Start with gentle press and press harder as the speed comes down.That progressive pressure within few seconds would bring the car to stop in minimum possible distance and still not stall the engine.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 5th February 2008 at 16:52.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks