Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 15:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Would this be because Pre 2005 engines are older as compared to post 2005 & naturally would have covered more mileage & undergone more wear & tear, causing more such cases?

not necessarily mate, 2005 to 2009 is 4 years, and is enough for people to have done 100K plus on the car. hence asking for the survey figures, this would clear out a few things on the car.

like i said this is not a blanket statement, i have heard a few people say this and would like to know the actual figures from the owners first hand.

and adding a poll for the same would be too many statements, so i request the fellow members to put down the details as posts.

mods since you have moved my thread here, would you please add this as well to the current thread title "your Accent CRDi overhaul details please". let this thread have a log of all the Rebuilt Accent CRDi cars and their details here on.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Would this be because Pre 2005 engines are older as compared to post 2005 & naturally would have covered more mileage & undergone more wear & tear, causing more such cases?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
not necessarily mate, 2005 to 2009 is 4 years, and is enough for people to have done 100K plus on the car. hence asking for the survey figures, this would clear out a few things on the car.

like i said this is not a blanket statement, i have heard a few people say this and would like to know the actual figures from the owners first hand.

and adding a poll for the same would be too many statements, so i request the fellow members to put down the details as posts.

mods since you have moved my thread here, would you please add this as well to the current thread title "your Accent CRDi overhaul details please". let this thread have a log of all the Rebuilt Accent CRDi cars and their details here on.

This is unfortunately one of the best kept dirty secrets of the Indian Automobile industry.

ALL early Accent CRDi mills suffered from an alloy problem - something to do with not being suitable for Indian conditions. Hence the cylinder walls used to wear off at a rate higher than normal - leading to back pressure /failure by the 75-80k mark. This was subsequently rectified by Hyundai - BUT they kept this under wraps thereby avoiding the thousands of recalls and replacements they would have had to make/do.

I did not expect this from Hyundai! ( Matter for a new thread dont you think!!)
Old 19th May 2009, 07:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

@kb100, thats exactly what i wanted to confirm from the owners mate, and first hand experience written from the owners would help reduce the Heart burn among the later Crdi owners atleast.

i once again request Crdi owners who had a rebuild to come forward for the cause and write down their experience.

man i did create a new thread for it but GTO dint think it needs one .

thought of adding a poll it after a fellow member's suggestion too but then even my request to change of the thread's title is not done yet.

EDIT: @KB100

dude, weren't the PRE-2005 priced way lesser? i mean at least 50-70K bucks lesser? please do enlighten me on the same.

wanna know another dirty little secret of Hyundai? a little OT but then worth a mention man.
the Very First batch of vernas which were priced same as ACCENT CRDi had a suspension as soft as cotton candy on them which lead to real bad ROAD CRASHES (total loss) and claimed many lifes. its after that they stiffened and worked out a new suspension and added ABS and Climate-Control and Pulled up a marketing strategy and pumped up the cost crazily by more than a lakh.

Last edited by rider60 : 19th May 2009 at 07:41.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
wanna know another dirty little secret of Hyundai? a little OT but then worth a mention man.
the Very First batch of vernas which were priced same as ACCENT CRDi had a suspension as soft as cotton candy on them which lead to real bad ROAD CRASHES (total loss) and claimed many lifes. its after that they stiffened and worked out a new suspension and added ABS and Climate-Control and Pulled up a marketing strategy and pumped up the cost crazily by more than a lakh.
Thats no big secret eveybody knew that story , even i have one of the Vernas from the first batch but they did change out the shocks and some parts of the suspenion to make it handle better.

the features you have stated were introduced later as a different trim level.

That apart it would be interesting to see the details of the engine overhaul in the Accent CRDis.

But all said and done , if you drive around a turbocharged oil burner without knowing how to treat it you definitley are asking for trouble.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:48   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally I am yet to come across a single Accent CRDi engine in the flesh which has had engine failure requiring a bottom-up rebuild, except on this forum, where Rajiv Menon's car seems to have had a rebuild done: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1300792-post35.html. My own car's report is on this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-till-now.html. Other owner reports are also at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-3.html.

Everyone that complains about the CRDi 3 cylinder engine being bad appears to have HEARD from someone else about it, and not experienced / seen one in reality. Is this some kind of negative campaign going on against this engine? Or is this engine generating more envy than horsepower?
Old 20th May 2009, 00:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

The operative word here is 'initial'. Its the early 2003/2004 models that have this issue (- discounting the ones that happen due to negligence. )

Last edited by kb100 : 20th May 2009 at 00:36.
Old 20th May 2009, 01:09   #22
vak
BHPian

My 2004 Accent CRDi is still running strong. I bought it new. It has done 92000km, mostly driven by myself. Returns average of around 16kmpl. I change the engine oil every 5000km and has been serviced only at MGF hyundai, the authorised dealer in Cochin. There is no smoke from the tail pipe and the engine is very peppy. Even the struts has not been changed. There are not teaks or sounds, in fact it rides smoother than my 2008 Swift VDi. The clutch has become harder now, it will be changed at next service.

I think the engine is good for atleast another 30000km.

I still prefer my Accent over my Swift VDi for long drives.
Old 5th June 2009, 23:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Last year we bought a used 2005 Viva Crdi with 40k on odo, started facing problems from day one something or other.Couple of days back in a short trip to haridwar..engine overheating problems arised, Today when took her for repairs to MGF, i was suggested to get rid of the vehicle asap or be ready for a heavy overhauling bill(anything between 60k to 100k).I really dont understand whether to trust these people...

Any advises guys ? should i get rid of her or go for whatever is suggested by MGF.
Old 5th June 2009, 23:40   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Everyone that complains about the CRDi 3 cylinder engine being bad appears to have HEARD from someone else about it, and not experienced / seen one in reality. Is this some kind of negative campaign going on against this engine? Or is this engine generating more envy than horsepower?
I have personally seen and driven the rebuilt car's and the bill's (though short drives since i used them over weekend visits, in my native), and phlueezz envy and that engine will never cross paths

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th June 2009 at 23:41.
Old 6th June 2009, 00:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Got a 2004 Viva CRDi ....

67000 kms and counting... Engine still strong... No major problems.

I think its losing some of its grunt though and F.E. has dropped a bit....

I plan to get rid of the car within 75 k ..

Last edited by AbhiJ : 6th June 2009 at 00:59.
Old 6th June 2009, 01:16   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Today when took her for repairs to MGF, i was suggested to get rid of the vehicle asap or be ready for a heavy overhauling bill(anything between 60k to 100k).I really dont understand whether to trust these people...

Any advises guys ? should i get rid of her or go for whatever is suggested by MGF.
@ agspins: An overheating problem is not indicative of engine failure. Could be simple causes like a cooling fan solenoid not working, sludge in the radiator, old coolant, service overdue, etc. Even my car had a slight overheat issue at speeds above 140 km/h (full AC, outside temp. 44*C, mid-afternoon in late-May, in Gujarat/Rajasthan) on my last long trip. You would be well advised to get a good and competent mechanic to look at your car outside of the Hyundai dealers. Since you appear to be in the DL-NCR area, please PM me and I shall be happy to help about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have personally seen and driven the rebuilt car's and the bill's (though short drives since i used them over weekend visits, in my native)
@Jaggu: Could you please provide further details regarding the particular Accent CRDi which you have driven/seen the bills for engine rebuild? Details such as
  1. the number of km done / years of ownership before engine failure,
  2. reasons for engine failure,
  3. parts replaced,
  4. cost of parts and total cost of rebuild,
  5. whether covered under warranty during rebuild or not,
  6. whether car was owned by you from new, or procured second-hand,
  7. whether the car was used commercially/driven by a professional chauffeur on a regular basis, and
  8. whether maintenance schedule was strictly adhered to,
will be very welcome.

I have been running one of those engines over 97k km since the last 4.5 years, and have deep personal interest in finding out the truth about the durability of the engine if used properly. Rumours seem to fly thick and fast about these engines failing prematurely, but never fully substantiated.

Even Toyota diesel engines such as on the Qualis and Innova are reputed to be bomb-proof, and I know of a few which have had ring changes / overhauls before 1L km, mainly due to misuse in the hands of the taxi industry. But that does not make them bad engines.

Quote:
...and phlueezz envy and that engine will never cross paths
Envy, and the object of such envy, invariably never cross paths. When they do, pride of ownership prevails...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th June 2009 at 01:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks