Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 15:49   #91
BHPian

Re: Help With Water Marks on Windshield

@VCheng: I could not try the vinegar trick cause when I got home, there was no vinegar as luck would have it! Will give it a shot tonight and update here..

@kavu75: I guess the best place to try is the 3M Service center.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:50   #92
BHPian

Re: A superb Car detailing guide, wish we had this kind of knowledge at home!

Folks, need help with getting rid of the hard water mark on the windshield.
I have tried applying Lemon Juice, Vinegar, CIF, Mr.Muscle, Pril and what not ... but can't get rid of the hard water mark... It has certainly reduced from how it was before but the visibility is no where closer to how it was prior to water marks.. Recently i drove to Chennai and realized how much of trouble the hard-water mark is during night drives....
Can someone suggest a tested method, won't mind trying off the shelf product to get rid of these marks.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:09   #93
BHPian

Pls take it to a service center and consult a wind screen expert. I had a similar situation and the water marks didnt go for a couple of days after applying all possible cleaning things that you have mentioned. I went to the Service Center- paid 3k and did a glass cleaning and polish and it went away after 3 hrs of work. Dont leave it for many days as it will result in replacement of windshield itself. they are pretty strong marks that settles down permanently.. so pls take necessary measures asap.

Regards,
Sathya
Old 17th August 2011, 16:44   #94
BHPian

I have tried successfully to remove the hard water marks on my Innova's windshield .

I wore rubber gloves & used a little Harpic (thats right, the Toilet cleaner),rub it over glass & let it spread with the gloves & a wet cotton cloth all over the marks on the glass, carefully avoiding plastics & rubber (as this will discolor the plastics). Let it sit in shade for about 2 mins , then wash it off with lotsa water & wipe dry. You will see immediate results.
Please take care and do not try this on a hot windshield & do use lots of water to wash off as harpic is fairly corrosive & can discolor marble stone.

Hope this helps.

Edit: do not use too much harpic, lest it starts to flow down the windscreen.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 17th August 2011 at 16:45.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:06   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I have tried applying Lemon Juice, Vinegar, CIF, Mr.Muscle, Pril and what not ... but can't get rid of the hard water mark... It has certainly reduced from how it was before but the visibility is no where closer to how it was prior to water marks.. Recently i drove to Chennai and realized how much of trouble the hard-water mark is during night drives....
Can someone suggest a tested method, won't mind trying off the shelf product to get rid of these marks.

do a glass polish at the Sparkle car spa in forum mall. costs about 1k for a large car - skoda, safari etc., less for smaller cars.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:21   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Buy a bar of cleaning clay and clean the windshield with it. I think you can get cleaning clay on ebay.
Old 8th March 2012, 21:02   #97
BHPian

Guys, after a lot of struggle, I have finally managed to crack the riddle. After using Collins, Harpic, Prill liquid, diluted vinegar and what not, I successfully removed all rigid water marks with toothpaste. The procedure I followed was very similar to waxing your car. I first rubbed a thin layer and buffed off the entire toothpaste with a soft cotton cloth, which rendered the windshield crystal clear. However, donot use those gel-types. The ones that are white in colour are the best suited.
riturajsharma19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 21:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Guys, after a lot of struggle, I have finally managed to crack the riddle. After using Collins, Harpic, Prill liquid, diluted vinegar and what not, I successfully removed all rigid water marks with toothpaste. The procedure I followed was very similar to waxing your car. I first rubbed a thin layer and buffed off the entire toothpaste with a soft cotton cloth, which rendered the windshield crystal clear. However, donot use those gel-types. The ones that are white in colour are the best suited.
Instead one can also use Chuna (Lime), spray some water on windshield and then rub the Chuna on windshield, finally wipe it off by water. Done! Removes every possible mark and greasy dirt. I have been using this from last 4 years and my father is using this method from last 20 years.
Old 9th March 2012, 06:46   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Which is the best way for this please?
I ve got these miserable water marks on my Yeti's windscreen and they simply refuse to go.
I dont want to hurt the glass and/ or the surrounding trim so please advise which is the best way?
Old 9th March 2012, 12:48   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I ve got these miserable water marks on my Yeti's windscreen and they simply refuse to go.
I dont want to hurt the glass and/ or the surrounding trim so please advise which is the best way?
If the regular cleaners like colin, CIF dont work, then use detailing clay. mask the surrounding trim to protect.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:58   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Same thing i did with my car some 3 years back to remove some hard water marks. Chevy guys did the cleaning with this 3M cleaning clay.
How much did the 3M guys charged you for that. Once i had parked my car near a water sprinkler near garden and over the day it left hard water marks on the windshield. It refused to go with Vinegar, Colin, Surf and what not. Finally tried something called Easy Off Bang cleaner and the marks went off like normal dirt. The full bottle cost me about Rs 150 .
Old 9th March 2012, 13:08   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If it is water marks for sure then vinegar is the best and I have used it with no damage to the glass. I have used this method when some water was dripping on my windshield from the flat above for a week or two and had left very ugly deposits. My washer guy could not get rid of them with soap etc.
1. Prepare a mix of 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water
2. Use a cloth to apply all over the water marks
3. Let it soak for 10 mins
4. wash it with water now feel the surface if it feels rough you can use a razor blade(ones the barbers use) to gently lift off the sediment.
5. You can also use toothpaste Colgate white one to polish it down. The best way to polish is to use your fingers.
Old 9th March 2012, 15:26   #103
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thanks
Somehow I have greater faith in the natural method - vinegar etc rather than these cleaning agents.
So I shall try what you suggest and we will see if I succeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
If it is water marks for sure then vinegar is the best and I have used it with no damage to the glass. I have used this method when some water was dripping on my windshield from the flat above for a week or two and had left very ugly deposits. My washer guy could not get rid of them with soap etc.
1. Prepare a mix of 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water
2. Use a cloth to apply all over the water marks
3. Let it soak for 10 mins
4. wash it with water now feel the surface if it feels rough you can use a razor blade(ones the barbers use) to gently lift off the sediment.
5. You can also use toothpaste Colgate white one to polish it down. The best way to polish is to use your fingers.
Old 11th March 2012, 20:44   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
How much did the 3M guys charged you for that. Once i had parked my car near a water sprinkler near garden and over the day it left hard water marks on the windshield. It refused to go with Vinegar, Colin, Surf and what not. Finally tried something called Easy Off Bang cleaner and the marks went off like normal dirt. The full bottle cost me about Rs 150 .
I had done this at Chevy service center and they didn't charge me anything at that time (more than 3 years now). Be careful with Easy Off Bang cleaner, i think it's bit stronger.
Nowadays i am using a glass polish "Auto Glym Car Glass Polish" which i got from UK sometime back and it cost around 5.5 GBP. This is doing a decent cleaning.
Old 26th May 2012, 02:49   #105
BHPian

I have water stains not only on my wind-shield but also on the car body.
The water that comes in my building is perhaps hard-water. The guy uses the same water to wash my car. Now the roof of the car has got ridiculous amount of stains. Too many. How do I get rid of the stains on the car body?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks