Team-BHP - Loose Steering (Too much play in the steering)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Loose Steering (Too much play in the steering) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/35177-loose-steering-too-much-play-steering.html)

My 2001 Alto Lx which has cloaked about 51,000 KMS is currently having too much play in the steering. This is best noticed at speeds of 45-60 KM/H. :eek:

I always do wheel alignment/balancing every 5000 KMS.

So what are the causes for Loose Steering ?

please: help...

get your whole steering setup checked by mechanic this may be due to wear.is there any another problem in steering i.e does the steering make a noise or vibrates too much over potholes

There is a steering damper which can be tightened for loose steering, but if its free play then get the steering assembly serviced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 713454)
There is a steering damper which can be tightened for loose steering, but if its free play then get the steering assembly serviced.

Yes have seen that damper thing being tightened to do minor adjustments to steering- happened to me at wheel alignment. The guy adjusted it to reduce the play/loose movement. But if its a considerable amount of play, then i think steering rack should be inspected to see if it is worn out- which should not happen at 51k unless you do a lot of tight cornering always and all the time.

Got the steering overhauled. There was also problem with the struts. Now the problem is gone for now !

Total cost : Rs.1010

Hello.

I have a 2008 October Model Swift Diesel. The car's warranty expired last year in October and before that in 2011 May the entire steering assembly was replaced at around 40 thousand kilometres due to there being a constant 'khat khat' sound even after the damper was adjusted.

Now I was in UK for a year and my dad used to car for around 5 thousand kilometres in the entire year.

Now the car stands at 59500 km and there is a play in the steering wheel. It is around a little less than an 1 inch and manifests itself in such a way that in a parked car with the vehicle switched on, the steering moves very freely for a little less than an inch before the steering wheels turn.

When I gave it to Navneet for rectification, initially they thought it was a lose damper, but upon calling the service advisor now, he said, the steering assembly needs changing. I am perplexed at the thought of spending 25 + thousand on a steering assembly which was replaced just a year and some months back and has run around 19 thousand kilometres. The front end of the car was checked and no play found in ball joints or balancing rods.

I am going to pick the car up in sometime and the service advisor said the play has reduced as he has adjusted the damper but the problem can be 100% taken away only after replacement of the assembly.

I want to know how to go about with this issue now.

Greetings fellow enthusiasts,
I've recently started driving a 2015 Honda Brio CVT that was handed down to me with 7,000 Kms on the odo. The car didn't get serviced during 2020 and 2021 due to the Pandemic and I took it in for a thorough service - at Pride Honda Madhapur (Hyderabad) in September 2022. They did a pretty extensive service, changing both the engine and transmission oil as well as shaving the brake discs and balancing the wheels. Initially, even after the service, the car seemed to 'hesitate' while moving from a complete stop about the point one would switch from first to second gear in a manual transmission - odd for a CVT of course - but this sorted itself out when I did a 200 km road trip, traveling much of the way at a steady 80 Km/hr. I have since put an additional 2,000 kilometres on the car, and the ride seems much smoother and more refined.

There is one thing though - the steering wheel seems to have about 30 degrees of play, to the extent that even at about 80 km/h, I need to turn the wheel about 1/5th of the way to get the car to respond. Is this common for this car? I also have a 2021 Honda Amaze - that has a little play in the steering wheel, but the car is really nimble at even 40 Km/hr. With the Brio, is this an issue that I need to get looked at during the next service?