Team-BHP - key not turning
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   key not turning (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/35186-key-not-turning.html)

Today i tried to start my wagonr duo lxi which was parked for some 40 minutes. before trying to turn teh key i tried to steer teh wheel and found it to be in a locked position. next i tried to turn the engine on and the key wasnt turning. i tried some 5-6 times and then with some force it started. what can be the reason for this?any check up required?

When the steering gets locked, its a good idea to move the steering a lil (free play) and then twist the key. If its repeating better get it checked with the dealer.

Oh ba!! You have to turn the steering a bit while trying to turn the key in steering lock position. That's normal dude!

If the sterring is locked, your key will not turn. Try as suggested by Speedzak, I am sure it will help.

sometimes this problem will occur on motorcycles after a nice water wash.

Simply dribble some engine oil on your key for lubing it.

If you don't know where and how to get the engine oil from your bike, then sell off your bike and give me the money. :)

If your steering is not positioned straight before u pull out the key, and u try to lock the steering after u pull your key out the steering gets locked but the turned tyres keep on applying a force on the steering and tends to pull(as in turn) the steering towards the way it is turned. At that time u will not be able to turn the key. So, to avoid this try to free the steering from the extreme right and the extreme left positions(i.e. in between the locked position) and then turn the key. This is normal.....
so...cheers:!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 713388)
sometimes this problem will occur on motorcycles after a nice water wash.

Simply dribble some engine oil on your key for lubing it.

If you don't know where and how to get the engine oil from your bike, then sell off your bike and give me the money. :)

this is a very different issue, use some WD40 or likes on the switch and it will be fine. Same thing can happen to car door locks after pressure wash, very few notice it coz of key less entry systems these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmax (Post 713390)
If your steering is not positioned straight before u pull out the key, and u try to lock the steering after u pull your key out the steering gets locked but the turned tyres keep on applying a force on the steering and tends to pull(as in turn) the steering towards the way it is turned. At that time u will not be able to turn the key. So, to avoid this try to free the steering from the extreme right and the extreme left positions(i.e. in between the locked position) and then turn the key. This is normal.....
so...cheers:!!

I think this is what happened to me.
Never knew about this. Thanks a lot