Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 12:26   #1
BHPian

Front Shocks work in Petra Petrol

My friend is using Fiat Petra Petrol since last 3 years mainly in city and clocked 30 Kkms. In the recent visit for regular service, he has been told that Front Shocks are gone and need replacement. Estimate said is 15K for it. My questions are
1. Does shocks go bad so early?
2. How much it cost to have have work done? With 15K, I think they are charging premium.
3. Can refill or some sort of service is not sufficient for shocks? Is it needs replacement?
4. Can this be done outside in Pune? Any contact.

Fiat owners in Pune, Comments awaited.
Old 7th February 2008, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Depends on how your friend has driven the car. If he has taken it off roading too many times, or if he is driving rashly w/o caring for potholes/humps, then there is a possibility of shocks becoming hard. For yoru questions the answers are aso below:

1) No. Depends on the driving of user.
2) Yes. Fiat service charges and some of the spare parts are costly.
3) My advice is go for replacement. If it is a minor probloem, then it can be rectified locally.
4) Yes. This can be done outside. But unable to understand why this question. Does your friend reside outside Pune?
Old 7th February 2008, 12:55   #3
BHPian

Hai,
1>Shocks packing up at 30K ,assuming that the driving was done in Pune fully,is normal.I changed shocks on my petra around 32k.
2>I think 15k might have been quoted for total service on the car.I have the bill from BU Bhandari in front of me as I type this.Fr Shock each costs Rs.1380.Add to this the labour charges as well.
3>In my personal opinion,replacement is the best.

I dont know from where your friend got his car inspected.I suggest that you take the car to BUB and contact Sameer.He is the works mananger there and a member on this forum too.
Old 7th February 2008, 13:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

15k is way too much for the shock replacement.i would suggest to do some research on the subject ,try enquiring with other service centers and then go for a bargain.i think all work together would be below 10 k.
ram
Old 7th February 2008, 20:11   #5
BHPian

Hey, my Petra is only a year and 3 months old and its left front shock is making noises. I am wondering if I should get stock replacements or go for upgrades.

I have driven a little hard, though not alarmingly. I tend to drive with a slightly heavy foot and I have driven over rough patches without reducing speed, since the car seems to take it in its stride.

So, now I am in this predicament. What do I do? Stock or upgrade?
Old 7th February 2008, 20:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
H
2>I think 15k might have been quoted for total service on the car.I have the bill from BU Bhandari in front of me as I type this.Fr Shock each costs Rs.1380.Add to this the labour charges as well.
15k for total service? Gonna beat Skoda chaps at bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Hey, my Petra is only a year and 3 months old and its left front shock is making noises. I am wondering if I should get stock replacements or go for upgrades.

So, now I am in this predicament. What do I do? Stock or upgrade?
Upgrade shocks? Do you mean getting Konis or sort?
Old 7th February 2008, 20:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
15k for total service? Gonna beat Skoda chaps at bills?
LOL
I meant to say if some other work too has to be done on the car.We dont know the full details right.

My Petra servicing bills used to be around 2K to 2.5 for normal servicing.
Old 8th February 2008, 09:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
... Upgrade shocks? Do you mean getting Konis or sort?
Yes along those lines. My point of view is that this car is so free revving, I just hate slowing down. So, I end up crossing bumps and cracks in the road faster than optimum. So, either my current shocks were defective right from the start, and are giving in this early, or my driving is too rough for these shocks, in which case, I will end up working on my shocks every year.

That is what my query is regarding. Upgrade essential?
Old 8th February 2008, 10:46   #9
BHPian

It is 15K for only shocks and already spend 7K for other service.10K could have been OK considering the class of vehicle and Fiat. It is at BUB only.
Does anyone know any fellow or private workshop, not authorised!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks