Team-BHP - car alignment
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   car alignment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/35283-car-alignment.html)

hi , got a new swift vdi got some doubts with it . i have upsized the alloys to 15inch, and tyres to 195/60/15 BF Goodrich. i have some problems with alignment.the car tends to stear more towards left i got the alignment checked it was not right so the guys at maruti had it aligned in the first service. but that did not solve the problem so he changed the front wheels with the back ones, with this there is slight improvement but still theres a shift to the left. it was tried at three other places lastly at madhu's bangalore the alignment is right but the problem still exists. i have contacted michellin as they maket these tyesand hve adviced me to get a shim added to the camper assembly, which i am reluctant to get done Can any body give me an idea what to do?
also the guys at maruti said if i go for any other remote locking other than nippon i will not have any warranty with the electrical system is this true. what remote locking do you suggest. please help to find who does the best alignment and balancing in bangalore

please:

Get your alloy wheels balanced may be that should help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by docard (Post 715332)
also the guys at maruti said if i go for any other remote locking other than nippon i will not have any warranty with the electrical system is this true. what remote locking do you suggest. please help to find who does the best alignment and balancing in bangalore

please:

Nippon is a good car security system. go get it.

Are your tyres directional? If not swap the ones on RT on Front left and see if pull is sorted.

Yes warranty may be void if you fit other than manufacturer recommended, Nippon is good system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by docard (Post 715332)

Nippon is a good system. Previously, I had the same system on my WagonR. The servicing offered by Nippon was also good. You can go for it. It also has good features comparable to Xenon and Autocop.

@docard: Do your upsized wheels stick out a lot from the wheel well (indicating a low wheel offset)? If so the alignment needs to be checked carefully by knowledgable people with the proper equipment. You should check if the alignment guys first of all have the appropriate m/c and then whether they know how to set the alignment m/c to cover your non-stock conditions.

Edit: Do you have the alloy wheel specs (what is the offset and width; should presumably be at least 6J for 195 mm tyre width).

The second issue is whether your car tends to steer to the left only at higher speeds or does it happen even at low speeds? If the former is the case, I suggest you do not worry much at this point. Your tyres are new and may need a little running in, say, for about 2000 kims, and then the problem might go away on its own. New tyres may have very slight defects that will get ironed out with some running (if you are interested, see the carbibles website for information). Secondly, make sure your tyre pressures are set accurately and when the tyres are cold. What pressures are you running for your set-up and where/when do you set them?

You should only have cause for worry if there is a pronounced pull to the left even at slow speeds.

the pull on the left side is at low speeps like 25-40km/hr it disappered as soon as it was fitted with another set of wheels and 195/60/15.The guys at michellin wanted me to add an exttra shim in the camper on the rigth side to compensate ,to which maruti guys did not agree and said that it had to be done at my own risk and such upsizes are not recommended, and to go back to 185/70/14s. the dealer is ready to change the tyres to energy mxv8 for a difference of 300 per tyre should changing to these help? I am confused and wasted alot of time on this issue at the cost of my clinic please advice what to do?

Im having a similar issue. Only option left is to take it to the service station and have them shod stock tyres and check for the issue.

I think it is safe to follow the advice of Maruti. The problem may be that with the non-stock conditions, the alighment has not been done properly by the tyre shop guys (they may not know the technicalities involved). I agree with Maruti that adding spacers or shims whatever it is the tyre guys are recommending is not a good idea.

Since you have got it aligned so many times, I dont think alignment is the problem.

As someone said, get the wheels balanced. Since you said the problem disappeared when you changed the wheels, it could be the wheel balancing problem.

And from where did you buy the tyres ?

well you see the swift does not have the adjustments for the rear wheels, unlike accent or honda city, so if you have been through real bad roads of late and unfortunately if the rear wheel's alignment has gone wrong then you might be having an issue because of this so you might as well want to check this out!

usually when taken to the wheel alignment places they might not even bother checking the rear part so just give it a try, also get the wheels balanced properly!

edit,ps:also you might want to take a closer look at the wearing pattern of all the tyres this might help in diagnosing the problem!

hey docard do let us know about the progress and give us the feedback too!

Mostly the alloys are the culprit as you said you didnt have a problem with another set of wheels.

got to check the alloys now that the alignment is proper i bought the tyres from sai iyengar and sons, opp garuda and wheels from chemelion racing opp mico main gate

yeah thanks to you will keep you posted rider60