Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 01:53   #1

Maruti 800 [ Certain Queries ]

I own a Maruti 800 1996 [Carb] model. Its been nearly 1200 kms after i did an oil change. Milage of the Car has increased considerably. I am getting 14 - 18 in city.

I had this problem recently that once i lower my gear to 1st or 2nd while taking humps for example, the engine gets off. I suspected Tuning issue.
Tuning knob was adjusted twice in diffrent service points and the same issue was there. Finally we removed the knob, cleaned it and put it back and problem got solved.

One of them gave a suggestion to do a carborator overhaul. It costs around 1200 it seems. If it increases the milage i would go for the same.

Any suggestions to incease the milage even further??
Old 9th February 2008, 13:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Go to a good garage and do a complete engine tune up and carb cleaning. Also check air filter, fuel filter and points spark plug check/cleaning/replace.

Rs 1200 for carb overhaul alone is on the higher side, complete tune up should be under 600-800 bucks.
Old 9th February 2008, 14:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Carb overhaul at a maruti authorised service station costs 550 bucks+parts.1200 is way too high.Ask them to tune the carburator with a PUC machine strobe in the exhaust.That way u can tune the carb for the perfect air fuel ratio.
Old 9th February 2008, 14:44   #4
BHPian

Change the petrol pump from where you fill the petrol in your car right away. Choked carburetor jets indicate bad adultrated fuel.
Old 9th February 2008, 14:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramprakash View Post
I own a Maruti 800 1996 [Carb] model. Its been nearly 1200 kms after i did an oil change. Milage of the Car has increased considerably. I am getting 14 - 18 in city.

If it increases the milage i would go for the same.

Any suggestions to incease the milage even further??
14-18 kmpl is a good mileage. Are you expecting to go even further up? I had an M800 of 1998 model which used to give around 16 kmpl inside city. Thought the mileage was good. But yours is better than this.
Old 9th February 2008, 15:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.J.Ramprakash - hello to you. I am giving complete details of work that you "may decide" to do on the Maruti 800 as regards engine tune-up> If you do, you will get exemplary performance.

Carburettor:
Remove the air cleaner and carburettor from the engine. Open the carburettor (including the venturies), immerse it in new brake fluid and leave it for 24 hours. Then clean it with further new brake fluid, then with petrol and then use a good quality carburettor cleaning spray to clean out gum from each and every miniscule aperture. Assemble with new gaskets between the main body and the bottom cover, main body and the top cover (the size M5*0.8 screws come with the top gasket, use them) and between the throttle body and the intake manifold. Use Maruti Zen's venturies and a Maruti Van idler jet in the primary circuit. It has 8 bleeder holes as compared to the Maruti 800's 4, so you will get better control of progression from the idling circuit to the main circuit. I have used these systems for more than 10 years in all my Maruti 800s and they all run beautifully. Fuel consumption is not affected.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve:
Remove the rubber hose and spray some carburettor cleaning fluid in this valve. This way, any gum stuck in this area will get cleaned and you will realise good PCV performance, which corelates directly to idling quality.

Air cleaner element:
Just remove the old element and throw it out. Use a new Purolator element only. Clean the air cleaner container from inside.

Spark plugs:
Use only NGK BP5ES spark plugs. Plug gap must necessarily be 0.9 mm (36 thou) only.

Distributor:
If you have a PMP make distributor, remove it and throw it out. It does not provide spark advance as it should. If you have Lucas TVS or Nippondenso (mostly it will be Lucas TVS), connect a good dwell meter and check for runout of the distributor shaft. If the shaft runs out, dwell will vary. If variance is more than 1 degree, timing and performance will not be realised. Remove the distributor and replace it with a new one having confirmed shaft runout within specifications. The dwell angle must be set to 52 degrees and the static ignition timing must be set to 7 degrees BTDC (before top dead centre) with vacuum advance connected in the circuit.

Vacuum hoses:
Replace if frayed, hardened, cracked or in any way loose or out of place.

Fuel filter:
Remove the old fuel filter and throw it out. Use a new Purolator make fuel filter.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2008, 16:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

My reply got posted by some error. I have not finished. I am continuing.

Fuel filter:
Remove the fuel filter and throw it out. Use a new Purolator make fuel filter.

Valve clearence setting (tappet setting):
Use a 0.15 mm (6 thou or 0.006 inches) feeler guage for the 3 inlet valves and 0.175 mm (7 thou or 0.007 inches) feeler guage for the 3 exhaust valves. This must be done in engine in absolute dead cold condition (standing overnight without starting). As this is a 3 cylinder engine, you have to ensure that the concerned piston is at the start of the firing stroke at TDC. Use a checklamp connected to the low tension circuit side of the distributor to define individual TDC.

Engine idling rpm:
780+/-20 without AC, adjust from volume control and throttle control screws, 1100+/-50 with FICD operating, adjust FICD screw.

Intake manifold vacuum:
480 mm of Hg minumum in idling with all circuits connected without AC.

Camshaft drive belt:
Generally nothing happens but if you experience power drop at @ 50000 kms, just tighten this belt.

Results after action:
Spark plug insulators light pink in colour
Exhaust pipe end cleah in general use and greyish pinkish colour immediately after a long fast drive.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2008, 17:02   #8
BHPian

Hi Behram,

Believe it or not, the thought of owning a maruti 800 'peoples car' is taking rounds in my mind. initially for trial basis. lets see thereafter. The above reply of yours will certainly be printed and filed.
I know it can no-where come close to the experience of PP (infact no car can) but lets see.
Old 9th October 2008, 15:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys i wanted to adjust my 800's carb by myslef for proper idle RPM.Current idle rpm is 1000 as per my tacho.I wanted it to be set to around 800 for better FE.
The thing is i dont which screw on the carb is for what.

I understand from the current thread that there are 2 screws to be adjusted ,the throtlle and the volume.

I have posted a couple of Pics from under the hood of my car.
can the gurus please tell me which screw i can use to adjust the idle speed and also what the effect will be adjusting each screw.
The 1st image is of the screw on the side and the second 1 is at the back.

Let me know

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 [ Certain Queries ]-image029.jpg  

Maruti 800 [ Certain Queries ]-image030.jpg  

Old 9th October 2008, 20:18   #10
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramprakash View Post
Hi jramprakash,

I had a 1996 M800 which I bought second hand and recently exchanged for an Alto LXi. The mileage you are getting seems fine in the city. My car also gave a consistent mileage in the 17 to 19 kmpl range in the city. If you drive in the city, the mileage you are getting seems fine.

As said by a few other members, Rs. 1,200 is way too high for a carb overhaul. I got my car's carb overhauled for Rs. 600 a year ago. You could try a few tips as mentioned here.

Do keep us updated on how this progresses!

Cheers,

Pritish
Old 10th October 2008, 10:57   #11
BHPian

Retrofitting AC in M800 - 1997 - Type-II

Hi Friends,

I own M800 - 1997 Model NON-AC-Type-II, i had follwing queries regarding retrofitting AC:

1. What are the modifications needed for retrofitting the AC ?
2. Is there any particular make of AC which i should purchase ?
3. Do i need to get it retrofitted in the Maruti Service Center or any other known
Mechanic will be able to retrofit it ?
4. What will be the approximate cost of whole process of retrofitting ?
5. Will there be an adverse effect of retrofitting on the engine or mileage of the
vehicle ?

Experts please advise...

regards
Sanjeev
Old 10th October 2008, 16:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi

3. Do i need to get it retrofitted in the Maruti Service Center or any other known
5. Will there be an adverse effect of retrofitting on the engine or mileage of the
vehicle ?
All the necessary components are direct fit. The total cost for all the components would be around 20k for MGP. but you can go for a used components which you should make sure every component are leak proof.
You can get this work done by a local mechanic preferably an AC mechanic. The work involves the fitment of compressor, additional radiator, refrigerant cylinder uder the hood. inside cabin involves cooling unit, blower and an AC switch in the dashboard.
there will no adverse effect on the engine but ofcourse mileage when you use the AC and as well a slight drop in normal running due to an additional belt which keeps running freely on the compressor.

atlast you may need to upgrade the battery if you currently have 32amp battery. should be upgraded to atleast 35amps.
Old 10th October 2008, 19:45   #13
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Its better to buy a new AC car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Hi Friends,

I own M800 - 1997 Model NON-AC-Type-II, i had follwing queries regarding retrofitting AC:

Hi Sanjeev,

Rather than retrofit an old model with an AC, I suggest its best you trade in your vehicle for a new M800 which is factory fitted with an AC.

You could run up a lot of maintenance costs if the retrofitting job is not done perfectly and also will put a lot of load on your entire electrical and engine components.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 10th October 2008, 19:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

With reference to my post above,can anyone throw some light on the trottle and volume control screws please.

thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 19:56   #15
BANNED

For retrifit AC i have enuire in Hyderabad they are telling AC Kit Sanden :10500 Subros : 18500. Fitting charge including gas filling is 2800. Before instlling Ac pls do your compression checkup.

Das

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks