Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2008, 16:40   #1
BHPian

Check engine light on thanks to mechanics

Hi Guys,

took my xeta for a car wash on sunday. As soon as I was thru car did not start so all the mechanics and gurus around started cursing Tata for making a pathetic Petrol engine( thanks to the perception people have about TATA)

Cutting a long story short. after all coil/ fuse checking by geniuses nothing happened. tried to Air dry the car, nothing happened.

So I Decided to give a call to tata motors help line service.

Promptly they told me that there is a button underneath ( which i was not aware of and nobody told me on delivery)the driver's seat, just press it once and switch the ignition on.

I obeyed and wallah the car started.

Car washer might have switched it accidently while cleaning the car.

then, it was my turn to humililate the gurus standing around, who infact got so much verbal tonic from me that they would think twice before commenting on somebody's car.

now the problem I am facing is that check engine light is always on. so i called tata people again.
they told me that the light will switch off automatically when the car dries up completly or come for a check up next week.

NEED HELP GUYS, I HOPE NOTHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THE CAR.

MODS PLEASE PLACE THE THREAD SOMEWHERE ELSE IF IT IS IN THE WRONG PLACE.
Old 11th February 2008, 20:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
now the problem I am facing is that check engine light is always on. so i called tata people again.
they told me that the light will switch off automatically when the car dries up completly or come for a check up next week.
Does the car run smooth otherwise (no sputterring, missing etc)? I guess not, otherwise you would have mentioned, in that case, I would go by what has been told by the mech. Usually the CEL system takes 3-4 heat-cold cycles to overwrite itself.

Alternately you can go the route of battery disconnection for 5-10 mins to erase out any memory. The light will not be on when you connect back in. But if there is a genuine problem the light will come back after 3 heat-cold cycles (Days).

What was the reaction of the car wash guys when you pushed the underseat button and got the car started?
Old 11th February 2008, 21:07   #3
BANNED

Indica has a very sensitive check engine indicator. Follow 1100D's advise. In case of doubt, go to the TASC after a couple of days and, get the ECU reset and if there is a real problem, then the light will come on again.

PS:- If you are going to disconnect the batteries, remember that the terminals have to be disconnected in some particular order - dont remember which. Hope somebody will post the solution.
Old 11th February 2008, 23:32   #4
BHPian

Guys what is this switch underneath the drivers seat about?
Old 12th February 2008, 00:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^ I think 'fuel cut-off' for manually cutting off fuel supply in the event of fire in the car.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:34   #6
BHPian

thanks guys, Nitrous is right, this a fuel cutoff switch.

and about the car wash guys I never gave them a chance to react. all the gurus started hiding.

I think you guys are right i will give it couple of days before taking it back to the tata guys.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

First, pressure washing the engine bay is never a good idea.

Quite possible, you have loose connections. Check all the sensor leads etc
Old 12th February 2008, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Yeah Azmat, i told those guys to avoid that but car washer said they do it everyday.

My concern was actually hot and cold effect on the engine,
It always seemed like a bad idea whenever i saw the steam coming out of the engine after the wash.

but i never saw this coming because i have been getting my cars washed this way only for ages now.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
First, pressure washing the engine bay is never a good idea.

Quite possible, you have loose connections. Check all the sensor leads etc
Quite common. I got my Alto back from service and it was really feeling rough and not like it was just serviced.

On the way home there was a sudden power loss. I reached home and popped the hood to see if I could spot anything and realised that one cylinder wasnt firing. Called up the dealer who told me that due to washing there might be moisture near the spark plugs hence the cylinder not firing. I kept the car parked overnight for the water to dry and started it up teh next morning and now it was running on one cylinder. Called up the dealer who sent someone across opened up the wiring and saw all 3 spark plug connectors had water as a result it was not firing properly. Removed all wires dried them up and voila all back to normal and smoother than before.

No water entered the cylinder jut the high tension caps.
Old 12th February 2008, 12:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

oh my,thats a news and i hope no one knows of the switch,even the owners.i feel it had to be passed on as fast as possible and why dont the tata guys educate the customers on this at the time of delivery.feels really let down under such situations.

ram
Old 12th February 2008, 13:00   #11
Team-BHP Support

Spray wd40 around the leads. I think I have a spare can sitting in Bangalore airport or somewhere (the security would not let me check it in when we were bringing the cars back)
Old 12th February 2008, 16:10   #12
BHPian

Diconnection does not help reset the ECU in TATA Xeta Valeo 27 series- What it does is change the error into a fugitive state incase the fault is categorised Minor by the software.

As suggested above, just have the coupler checked, air dried- About spraying WD40 be careful,its conducive would'nt recommend it.

And next time on the wash, Have the Wash guy cover the Ignition coil and ECU area with a plastic sheet,should'nt have anymore CEL issues.

BTW What switch is that,under the seat-can't seem to locate it on mine.
Old 12th February 2008, 16:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Diconnection does not help reset the ECU in TATA Xeta Valeo 27 series- What it does is change the error into a fugitive state incase the fault is categorised Minor by the software.

As suggested above, just have the coupler checked, air dried- About spraying WD40 be careful,its conducive would'nt recommend it.

And next time on the wash, Have the Wash guy cover the Ignition coil and ECU area with a plastic sheet,should'nt have anymore CEL issues.

BTW What switch is that,under the seat-can't seem to locate it on mine.

Guys Light is off now, i think it heat cold cycle only. Thanks a ton
in between wolfstein which indica you have? mine is december 2006 Xeta GLS.If it is the older then it might not have the switch.
even i was not aware this switch, it is right beneath the driver seat.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion and comments.
Old 12th February 2008, 16:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Spray wd40 around the leads. I think I have a spare can sitting in Bangalore airport or somewhere (the security would not let me check it in when we were bringing the cars back)
Thanks a ton Azmat, could not understand, " when you were bringing your car back". did you import your car??
Old 13th February 2008, 03:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
why dont the tata guys educate the customers on this at the time of delivery.feels really let down under such situations.

ram
Which Manufacturer folks actually educate customers about the fuel cut-off switch at the time of delivery?

I had a friend take delivery of a Swift from the oldest dealership in Kolkata and the dealership people were in a lot of trouble when I asked them to show us the spare fuses. Obviously I was playing around with them, but then why shouldn't we.

But then, in most of your posts, I do sense a very familiar tone! But then, whats the harm in taking a petty potshot at some manufacturer who is not Maruti/Suzuki.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks