Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Does your Swift rattle?
Yes 205 78.24%
No 57 21.76%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 19:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
damping
Will MASS be knowing about this? I need it badly and any leads in Chennai
Old 27th May 2008, 19:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
i have my doors and windows arbitrarily rattle - even after damping was done
How much damping costed you and what exactly they do?
Old 27th May 2008, 19:42   #63
Team-BHP Support

Dont go for expensive damping (read as sound deadening used in ICE), yes it will keep the road noise and give a sold feel to the doors, but will not solve rattles.

For rattles ask the A S S to stuff the door pads and dash with tons of el chepo sponge, trick is to give tight fit and arrest loose cabling et all. Works well for atleast a year or two when the sponge deforms and pads again become loose.
Old 27th May 2008, 22:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont go for expensive damping (read as sound deadening used in ICE), yes it will keep the road noise and give a sold feel to the doors, but will not solve rattles.

For rattles ask the A S S to stuff the door pads and dash with tons of el chepo sponge, trick is to give tight fit and arrest loose cabling et all. Works well for atleast a year or two when the sponge deforms and pads again become loose.
And are the A S S guys kind of enough to do this free of cost or is there a cost involved??
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:09   #65
BHPian

My Swift has been rattling since I got it from the showroom in Oct 2006. It is present on the B pillars. When I open the door, the sound goes away. It is not a huge racket.. more of a creak like Hydrashok mentioned. I asked them to fix it in every service but it din't stop a thing. The creaking coming out of the driver side has really got on my nerve now. I understand it when ppl talk about ICE blocking out this nuisance but man think about when you want a silent drive at 2 in the morning. There is nothing silent about it trust me.

I will give them a piece of my mind when i take it for my 4th service tomorrow.

PS: Some other threads at one point of time mentioned something about Maruti changing the power window apparatus or something like that on doors. Was it connected to this rattle issue? I definitely remember reading something (@MAG I think you also posted) about Maruti doing a fix for customers. Anyone?

Last edited by MC Mayank : 23rd June 2008 at 14:10.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

I heard the new Avatar of Swift won't rattle much.
owners please reply.planned to but Swift Vdi ABS.But this issue led me to think again.
Already i have WagonR and it's very famous for rattling
But i manage to live/enjoy with it.
If i drive my brother's verna,i don't have feel of driving a car ,it's very smooth and no sound except little wind noise.
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I heard the new Avatar of Swift won't rattle much.
owners please reply.planned to but Swift Vdi ABS.But this issue led me to think again.
Already i have WagonR and it's very famous for rattling
But i manage to live/enjoy with it.
If i drive my brother's verna,i don't have feel of driving a car ,it's very smooth and no sound except little wind noise.
I was also told that the new ones don't rattle, but mine which is exactly one month old today does rattle. These are small rattles here and there which sometimes stop on their own also. I am sure they can be fixed if one really decides to bring them to an end.

P.S: Hydrashock also has the "new" swift and he has also reported rattles.
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:43   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine is just a year old --- and it still doesn't rattle

Done less than 6,000 Km, though.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:07   #69
Team-BHP Support

@revved up: They might charge you for removing door pad etc and yes when swift d was launched minor changes were made to solve the issue, sorry but it still didnt stop the rattle. Cars running on good roads will survive lil longer before the rattle sets in.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
PS: Some other threads at one point of time mentioned something about Maruti changing the power window apparatus or something like that on doors. Was it connected to this rattle issue? I definitely remember reading something (@MAG I think you also posted) about Maruti doing a fix for customers. Anyone?

My swift rattled from day 3 to day 22( first service)
During first service, the supervisor at dealer's place told the mechanic "add some padding" and it vanished.
Didn't bother to find out where they added padding.

You are right, many people have fixed rattles mostly arising from power window assembly or speaker assembly. (Usual suspects)
Old 24th June 2008, 17:35   #71
BHPian

I also have a Swift VDI (ABS) model, March 2008. But it rattles. Started from day one. Couldn't fixed on first service. Couldn't fixed on 2nd service too. Rattle comes from left back side, B-pillar, and dash board, some squeaking noise from some where back side. couldn't able to locate. Funniest thing is that car rattles more when the car is starting in the morning, or parked for some time. Once 3 - 4 Kms are over the rattling went down, May be by the time I used to it too, MASS says rattling in Swift can't be fixed completely, and it is feature, rather than a complaint.
Old 25th June 2008, 22:55   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
can't be fixed completely, and it is feature, rather than a complaint.
That's about the crappiest thing I ever heard from anyone who wasn't a software company or a builder.

Completely unacceptable
Old 27th June 2008, 06:18   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
VDI, May 2007.

No rattles, but my car also has more time off than on, not having reached even 5,000 Km yet in ten months.

It does regularly get driven on some very rough side lanes, though, which should make up for some of the low mileage.

Likewise, no rattles since Aug 2007. And this baby has just done 4496KM precisely as of today. But i am considering to get the entire floor, roof, doors, front and rear hatch damped completely.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:14   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

...Maybe 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' applies?

Even if they are filling up spaces with dampener, taking stuff apart is a great way to introduce rattles.
Old 8th August 2008, 23:51   #75
BHPian

Guys, i am really getting sick of the rattles! my car is seven months old, and has done around 7500 kms. It started rattling from the 2nd week of delivery!
Around a month back, i glued 1in thick sheets of sponge, behind the 4 door pads and the trunk pad. The rattles had reduced considerably but have started to grow again!
Will, using a thicker sheet of sponge do the job?

Most Viewed