Team-BHP - Hole in silencer (OHC VTEC). Need help.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Hole in silencer (OHC VTEC). Need help. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/35554-hole-silencer-ohc-vtec-need-help.html)

I gave my car for 50K service today and got a call from service adviser that the sound I was complaining about, is because of a hole in the silencer and that I should replace it. He is quoting around 12K for it. When I asked him if I can repair it instead of replacing it, he suggested to find a shop outside as in the dealership they won't replace it. I would really appreciate your inputs on the following

1. Should I get the silencer repaired or serviced ? Any pros and cons of each approach.

2. If repairing is the way to go, any recommended places in Bangalore to get it done ? In my last six years of OHC ownership, I have always gotten my car serviced at the auth service center but then I never had to replace anything other than brake pads.

Please help!

Is this the first time you encountering this silencer problem? Is 12k for complete set replacement?

If the silencer is not rusted and just a hole, you can get it done outside. If its a stock one and rusted, better get it changed completely else you need to spend more time with the local wala putting fixes often

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 722601)
Is this the first time you encountering this silencer problem? Is 12k for complete set replacement?

If the silencer is not rusted and just a hole, you can get it done outside. If its a stock one and rusted, better get it changed completely else you need to spend more time with the local wala putting fixes often

Thanks Surprise. I haven't seen it myself but the service adviser is saying that it is rusted. Planning to go there and see it myself today afternoon.

hondadude just go for ffe:) i did it when my ohcs siencer cracked up...oe will be too expensive

Check with RAC @ Koramangala - I got mine fixed recently for next to nothing.

Get a new silencer made at FRK Racing,Bangalore, Phone Fazil at 28511093 for info If you want higher efficiency, this is the time to replace your holed muffler for a "straight through" type

2 yrs back, my OHC Vtec had a hole just before the start of the muffler. I got that fixed in a local garage who removed the muffler and the pipe, welded it same gauge MS steel. Its running fine from last 2 years and issues of backpressure or drop in mileage

However, I did think of FFE, tried to reach Automech reps in bangalore, but it was surprising they were quoting different prices, each time.. so thought it I will wait. Other thing is the CatCon cannot be retained if going for a ffe..

That weilding job on the silencer -- any garage can do it.. with a very small charge.

@hondadude
Just get the silencer repaired, a Gas welding will suffice. Hardly you may have to shell out 300-500 Rs(including labour) for it.
I have got my OHC silencer welded many a times coz of rusting.

@surprise
" Is 12k for complete set replacement?"
22K for Original complete silencer kit.. n that's damn to costly ( one can get new FFE in upwards of 6K)

Quote:

Is 12k for complete set replacement?
I think 12K is not for the complete set. It is more likely for a piece which runs from cat-con to muffler.
I had a hole in the same section due to rusting. Dakshin quoted 12K and said that it can't be repaired.
I went to a local mech and got it welded. This was two years ago and the weld worked fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushrutha (Post 722801)
@surprise
" Is 12k for complete set replacement?"
22K for Original complete silencer kit.. n that's damn to costly ( one can get new FFE in upwards of 6K)

I know its 22k for the complete set in Chennai. Just had a doubt.

FFE including headers for an OHC will cost in the range of 17-22k based on where we get it done. I guess FFE can be done with retaining the catcon, but the effect will be not as the one without catcon.

Its worth moving to FFE rather than changing the complete set at 22k (:Shockked: when came to know the prices of OE silencer set and an aftermarket FFE)

Thanks everyone for their responses. I have decided to get it repaired for now.

@zenx, did you get it gas welded at RAC ?

@sushrutha, where did you get that work done? Please let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 722970)
@sushrutha, where did you get that work done? Please let me know.

Any local welding shop will do. Mine twice i got it welded.
Once in my native n the next Near to Lohithrao's place, near marathally

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 722970)
@zenx, did you get it gas welded at RAC ?

Yes, i think so. The wife took the car there, and it was fixed during lunchtime.

Thanks zenx and sushrutha. I am taking my car to RAC tomorrow. Will update after I am done.

If its small hole, get it patched, if rust has eaten into the whole muffler or pipe then better to replace. Usually any good weld shop will let you know if it can be fixed or not.