Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 14:23   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best Oil Flush - Best Procedure?

What is the best petrol engine oil flush can you get in the market here today? I see X1-R, Liquimoly, STP, Nulon, and 3M.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:54   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What is the best petrol engine oil flush can you get in the market here today? I see X1-R, Liquimoly, STP, Nulon, and 3M.
Why do you want to use a flush? Stay away from engine flushes. The only time you should consider using a flush is if the engine oil has been changed irregularly or after long intervals. This can cause sludge to accumulate.

If you are doing this simply to change oils but have been regular with oil changes just go ahead and make the switch.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Why do you want to use a flush? Stay away from engine flushes. The only time you should consider using a flush is if the engine oil has been changed irregularly or after long intervals. This can cause sludge to accumulate.

If you are doing this simply to change oils but have been regular with oil changes just go ahead and make the switch.
I have been quite regular with my engine oil changes - this is for a versys 650. I have been using synthetic from Day 1 as well. I just figured it would help clear out the old oil and sludge a bit if any. I am switching from a motel 7100 synth to a mobil or shell.

But one thing I haven't done so far in 2 oil changes is to tilt the bike this way and that to get ALL the oil out. I would expect a few 100 ml to get out this way for sure. So there's still probably a bit of old oil in there.

What I've read what others do is to put in mineral oil and run the bike for about a 100km and drain everything out. This is for those scared about the oil flush eating up their gaskets and stuff.

I've also only done about 22k kms on the bike. So I reckon this is really an overkill.
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

best engine flush is engine oil itself, I mean just flush your engine twice with engine oil itself since new engine oil has detergents and other additives to flush engine naturally.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:56   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I've also only done about 22k kms on the bike. So I reckon this is really an overkill.
22k done already? Wow!

For a wet clutch using normal flush wont be a good idea. So you will have to see if any of the manufacturer you mentioned offer specific product for wet clutch bike. But if you change oil at a lesser interval than manufacturer recommended, that would be more than enough.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been quite regular with my engine oil changes - But one thing I haven't done so far in 2 oil changes is to tilt the bike this way and that to get ALL the oil out. I would expect a few 100 ml to get out this way for sure. So there's still probably a bit of old oil in there.
A bike with 22K on the odometer is not old and if you are changing oil regularly there's absolutely no need to flush the engine. Use flush ONLY when necessary.

Frankly you will always have dead stock of old engine oil in ANY engine after draining out the oil. Don't be worried.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
best engine flush is engine oil itself, I mean just flush your engine twice with engine oil itself since new engine oil has detergents and other additives to flush engine naturally.
Yes, this is what I read online. Use regular engine oil, run for 100 kms and flush it out hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
22k done already? Wow!

For a wet clutch using normal flush wont be a good idea. So you will have to see if any of the manufacturer you mentioned offer specific product for wet clutch bike. But if you change oil at a lesser interval than manufacturer recommended, that would be more than enough.
Yeah, this is what I was worried about as well, thank you for bringing this up. The recommended oil change interval is 12000kms. I have stuck to that so far.

Quote:
A bike with 22K on the odometer is not old and if you are changing oil regularly there's absolutely no need to flush the engine. Use flush ONLY when necessary.

Frankly you will always have dead stock of old engine oil in ANY engine after draining out the oil. Don't be worried.
Agree with you. Now I have to decide between shell and mobil as an engine oil recommendation.
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post

I have a question,

How good are products such as Xado Engine Flush. I have the earlier gen Fortuner that has done 51.5K already and I read in a post on TBHP that it's a good idea to use such products to clean the innards of the engine after 50K

Also, were I to go ahead with such engine flush product, would it affect my warranty?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
I am not very familiar with such cleaning agents. But allow me to share some thoughts.

I would think this oil cleaning agents are needed if you are using mineral oil. So I assume the combination is, use mineral oil, then do periodic engine flush. I don't see a need for oil system flush if you are using automotive OEM approved full synthetic.

OEMs are very sensitive to such external cleaning agents. Some test them, some don't. But in general there is an aversion among OEM engineers to such flushing agents.

Modern low emission engines have much better fuel burn due to higher fuel pressure, higher peak cylinder pressure, lower fuel sulfur etc. So I believe there will be less in-cylinder soot that gets carried over to oil. These anyhow run on either semi-synthetic or full synthetic

cleaning deposits from oil path is good for efficiency. But it may not be good for seals. The oil sludge itself acts like a seal, although it is not recognized as such. As rubber seals age, it hardens and cracks. the sludge helps to seal those cracks. There has been reports of engines leaking after such cleaning due to opening up of the cracks. So such cleaning has its good and bad. May be it is good if used periodically along with changing seals over extended periods.

I don't know the chemical composition of such oil system cleaners. Are these cleaners a concentrated form of additives already in oil? I would lean to think so. If so, then you need to consider its potential to breakdown oil film, increasing wear.
Just some thoughts.
Czarcarsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 23:56   #39
AAD
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I will stick to the Toyota schedule of replacing the oil every 10K and using Toyota approved engine oils out in by the dealer.
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:42   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I will stick to the Toyota schedule of replacing the oil every 10K and using Toyota approved engine oils out in by the dealer.
@AAD - DO NOT use engine flush unless it is absolutely required. An engine that has its oil changed at recommended intervals does not require a flush. You can change from mineral to synthetic and vice versa without having to flush the engine.

The only time a flush is required is if the engine is full of sludge that is caused by irregular or high mileage oil changes.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 22:07   #41
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
@AAD - DO NOT use engine flush unless it is absolutely required. An engine that has its oil changed at recommended intervals does not require a flush. You can change from mineral to synthetic and vice versa without having to flush the engine.

The only time a flush is required is if the engine is full of sludge that is caused by irregular or high mileage oil changes.

Thanks R2D2. I have indeed decided to stick to Toyota Oil change intervals and their Recommended oils

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks