Team-BHP - Brakes locking in Aveo UVA
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Brakes locking in Aveo UVA (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/36069-brakes-locking-aveo-uva.html)

I haa a peculiar problem with my UVA. If I switch on the AC for some time (say 3-4 )min and switch it off, the breaks getting jammed after a few KMs. Initially ( 2 times) I felt a little drop in power and somehow it recovered. Without touching the AC switch, there was not problem and I was using the car for 3-4 weeks after observing the symptoms.
But later (this weekend) the problem became server that the car was not moving and I have to park it for 2-3 hrs for the problem to disappear. When this problem happens, there is lot of dust and tiny particles (like dried grass) coming through AC vents.

I was wondering (with my limited knowledge on automobiles) what's the connection between AC and break !!
Monday again the problem happened after a 5-6 km drive even without AC. I parked the car for 2 hrs and after two hr it was ok.
Any idea what could be the problem ??
Finally after 3 days and lot of calls, the Breakdown service team from the GM dealer came. They found there was some adulteration in the break fluid (water or something got mixed with the break fluid ) and MAY be because of that one of the front break got jammed ( break fluid circulation was not proper)

Now I have to change the break fluid. That's ok, but I am wondering the relation with AC and break :eek:

My assumption is that the beak fluid pipes are running closer to the AC pipes and when I switch on AC, the other liquid mixed with the break fluid solidify and block the tubes. ( This is just a guess. I need to check this with the mechanics)

I did a service a month back. The dash board was removed and some wiring were re-done due to rat bite. May be during this, they might have drained out the break fluid and stored it in a dirty container or some mineral water bottle !!! and filled it back. It was the authorized GM service center in Bangalore (Sundarm motors) and this should not happen at any case.:Frustrati

Regards,
Arun

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Is the problem solved now? What was the reason given to you by service center?

Arun,
What was the issue? Is the problem solved now? What reply you got from Sundaram?
This is a very rare thing to happen.

OT!

Was wondering what this thread is doing in Technical Stuff as I expected this thread to be about ICE in an Aveo as the title said "Break Jam".

I took it for Break and Jam, being a MJ fan.

Can someone rename/edit it to Brake Jam!

I think what he means is brake as he has referred to brake jam. Moderator, Please edit the thread heading.

Arun,
Sorry to hear about this. The problem is amusing. Please keep us posted.
All the best!!

Just out of curiosity does your car has ABS ?

The problem got resolved by changing the master cylinder which controls the break system.

It was not ABS, but disc breaks.
Looks like there is noting to do with AC. But I felt the problem when I was driving more than 15 km at a time. And it was during this time I generally switched on the AC. So I guess, it was only a break problem.
Waiting for a detailed report from GM since they were following up this case with the dealer.

I am happy that the response from General Motors is very good. They closely interacted with the dealer, sent the spare parts immediately by flight and I got the car back in another 2 days.

Cheers
Arun

Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33 (Post 744435)
Just out of curiosity does your car has ABS ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunnn (Post 746050)
The problem got resolved by changing the master cylinder which controls the break system.

It was not ABS, but disc breaks.
Looks like there is noting to do with AC. But I felt the problem when I was driving more than 15 km at a time. And it was during this time I generally switched on the AC. So I guess, it was only a break problem.
Waiting for a detailed report from GM since they were following up this case with the dealer.

I am happy that the response from General Motors is very good. They closely interacted with the dealer, sent the spare parts immediately by flight and I got the car back in another 2 days.

Cheers
Arun

Good to know its solved.

I dont think his has ABS as its only with the top end model with Option Pack.