Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

First thing I would inspect in the OHC would the tie-rod ends if it makes a 'thud' noise. Known problem with the car.
iraghava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on who does this stiffening of suspension in Mumbai? Secondly, are strut braces recommended? Just bought a 2000 OHC with around 45k on the odo, is a suspension overhaul recommended immediately?
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what the condition of the suspension is. 45k should not have the main components in trouble (if the mileage is genuine that is) but the bushes might have gotten worn out due to age, so won't be a bad idea to replace them.

Are you getting any unusual sounds when hitting potholes etc.?
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Can your dad inspect visually signs of oil leaks from strut? could be that too as i had similar problem once. as oil leaks the damping effects goes for a toss resulting thud kind of sound.
Good Point. Will have him get it checked by the driver. I better not have him crawl under the car and check it..otherwise the hospital bill will be more than the garage bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
First thing I would inspect in the OHC would the tie-rod ends if it makes a 'thud' noise. Known problem with the car.
Okey. Will have that checked up too. This one is a safety issue.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Help Please: Honda City NHC Suspension Overhaul

Folks, need some help please -
I have a 2005 NHC that I plan to keep as it hardly gives me any trouble and continues to give great mileage. It has done 1,25,000 kms - mostly city use on good roads.

A few months back I started to notice a thunk sound from the front suspension when it went over speed bumps, especially the small, low ones that are often laid in twos and threes. I also occasionally heard a squishing/hissing sound when the car passed over the said bumps, as if gas is being released.

During regular servicing (about 10,000 kms ago), a service adviser said the front suspension arms need changing. It wasn't done immediately as Honda didn't have the parts. Since then I've asked them to check the suspension every time the car has gone to the workshop.

During the last service a month ago, a new service adviser (he'd been on the job for a month) said the suspension needs a complete overhaul for about 35k and with it they recommended that I also change steering components for 45k . Naturally, all this threw me because till a service or two ago, only the front arms needed to be changed. He gave me a long story about how there is rattling in the steering column and it should be changed. He also said I may not be able to tell but they can. When I called his boss for an explanation he said usually steerings are done with the suspension but if I can't feel any problem, it isn't necessary. Also front and rear suspension is done at one go to maintain chasis balance and so that the car doesn't sag due to old components.

Last weekend, I drove the car out of town and touches 120 kmph on the highway. I felt no rattle or shake in the steering. In fact, the suspension also felt great as the car was weighed down with people and luggage.

Now my question is this - how much of what the service center is saying (Prime Honda, Ghaziabad) is bull and how much is true? I have read earlier posts, including from GTO, that say cars in India need a suspension overhaul by 80k or so. Mine is certainly above that. My doubt stems from the fact that this service center has started to recommend changing parts a little too often. I have had other experiences where I think they changed expensive parts needlessly, when the problem was solved by something else. The only symptoms I can feel from the suspension are that the car is a little jumpy but that could be because of oversize tyres (185/65 R14) and the ride feels a little hard at times but that could just be the nature of the car - I remember it felt hard even when it was new.

Sorry for the long post and any thoughts/opinions are much appreciated.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:09   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help Please: Honda City NHC Suspension Overhaul

mileagewise your car may seem like a prime candidate for what the SA has suggested.

Howver, if you dont want to spend all that, get the front shocks replaced, to see if this solves your problem.
It sounds quite like a bad shock.
3-4 k for a set.
the thunk could be it bottoming out.
The hiss too indicates the same i think.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
mileagewise your car may seem like a prime candidate for what the SA has suggested.

Howver, if you dont want to spend all that, get the front shocks replaced, to see if this solves your problem.
It sounds quite like a bad shock.
3-4 k for a set.
the thunk could be it bottoming out.
The hiss too indicates the same i think.
Thanks Mayank - Im not averse to getting the suspension done and I understand that its overdue. But then with this car everything has lasted longer that it should - first set of break pads at 70k, still on original clutch, battery at 1 lakh kms. Its the advice about the steering and past history with this workshop that's giving me reason to pause and collect opinions.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

The mileage on the odometer suggests it would need all this, but as earlier SA had suggested that these parts need not be changed now, i would suggest take a second opinion. Also there is an option not to get this done at one go and get it done in parts.

Changing all four suspensions is probably not needed, i got my front suspension work done only and the rear were not touched. Neither was the steering column touched.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

The mileage is not really indicative of the way this car has been used or treated. My doubt stems from the fact that this workshop tends to suggest a heart transplant when minor surgery would do. For example I'm not sure that a suspension overhaul is necessarily accompanied by a steering overhaul - I haven't heard that even on this forum. unless there is a problem with the steering. And I can't for the life of me feel any problem with the steering.
Old 10th February 2012, 01:41   #40
BHPian

StarScream,

You have mentioned that there are no rattles in the steering so it should be fine unless PS oil is leaking. Check the PS oil reservoir , if the level is below the minimum mark , top up and observe for a few days. If there is a leak the PS oil level gradually depletes and you might hear sounds like krrr krrrrr. If the oil level stays stable you got nothing to worry .
spookey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 11:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
StarScream,

You have mentioned that there are no rattles in the steering so it should be fine unless PS oil is leaking. Check the PS oil reservoir , if the level is below the minimum mark , top up and observe for a few days. If there is a leak the PS oil level gradually depletes and you might hear sounds like krrr krrrrr. If the oil level stays stable you got nothing to worry .
Thanks Spookey, just one question though, wouldn't this apply more to hydraulic power steering systems rather than electronic? Or would EPS also have this reservoir?
Old 10th February 2012, 13:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

A little research on the internet and on TeamBHP made me realize what the service center was talking about. They are asking me to replace the steering rack with the suspension job - Is that recommended?

From what I've read here, my City has none of the issues that have been reported here for steering rack problems. And considering that it's a component that started to give trouble in other Honda cars a lot sooner, I'm inclined to keep my fingers crossed and let it be till there is a real need to change it.
Old 11th February 2012, 21:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

re: Suspension Overhaul

surprise, surprise today I called to book my car for the suspension overhaul and the call was directed to a service manager who was a little puzzled why I was asking about steering components. He told me the steering has nothing to do with the suspension overhaul unless there is a problem. The 45k cost I had been quoted was for the entire steering assembly - column, eps unit and rack. Minor steering issues can be fixed by adjusting the components, which they will do after the suspension job. Finally, some straightforward honest advice.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

re: Suspension Overhaul

My car went for its overhaul job yesterday. Most front suspension components were replaced - the suspension arms, bushings, stabilizer link and springs + shock absorbers (which is one big combined part). The rear suspension was left as is because I was told it is fine. The steering is fine and was adjusted. Total cost - 25k, as opposed to the near 1 lakh estimate given by the previous SA.

I was told the a rear wheel bearing will need to be replaced in another 5-10k kms. At the moment, any problem by listening for sound is not discernible.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 15:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
...But then with this car everything has lasted longer that it should - first set of break pads at 70k, still on original clutch, battery at 1 lakh kms.
Oh Yes! I so completely agree with you. Everything on my September 2005 Honda City is almost as good as the day it was bought.

I changed my brake pads at 50K kms and they almost looked unused to me. My driving is mostly on excellent highways and usually I am able to use engine braking since I keep a lot of distance in front. Anyway, I changed them at 50K since I was told that normally brake pads are changed at 35K kms and did not want to take a chance.

I got a new battery last month, again as a precautionary measure since it was 6+ years old.

And like you, my clutch is still original.

The day I took delivery of the car, I had spoken to a SA and asked him about what needs to be taken care of and he specifically said that I should be very careful with the suspension. 83K kms later, absolutely no issues.

I love the durability and low cost maintenance feature of my Honda City.

Last edited by lapsi : 14th February 2012 at 15:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks