Team-BHP - Engine oil grades
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Engine oil grades (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/36296-engine-oil-grades-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi (Post 1641734)
But nowadays all 2 Wheeler 4 Stroke Engine Oils come with JASO MA2 Grade.
Does it mean that I cannot use JASO MA2 Oil in place of JASO MA Oil?

Even MAK 4T 20W50 is unavailable in Solapur (at Bharat Petroleum Pumps). Only MAK 4T 20W40 is available with them.

rranjith_kum has given you the break up of MA grades. If the manual does not give a specific DVI to be met the MA1 or MA2 whatever is available may be used.
You mostly find 20W40 because that is the layman term for oil.
People just ask for 20W40 oil they don't even know of the other API/SAE grades. Since this is what is demanded and moves more, it is stocked more.

Ture, you don't find all MAK oils in the BP stations itself, so you may have to try out at various outlest, or try to find an oil dealer who stocks oils of various makes. MAK oils are now available at other outles as well and not just BP stations.

MAK 4T is available with variations in grades in 3 avtars.

MAK4T
MAK4T plus
MAK4T excel.

You could get more information on BP site in Wheels/Lubricants section.

I had gone to Kolhapur on Monday. I bought Castrol Activ Xtra SAE 20W50 API SL JASO MA2 for Rs.229/- 1 Liter.
My Good Luck that I got the 20W50 Oil specifically made for Bikes (Wet Clutch).

Good that you got a 20W50 oil... but Castrol does not make good bike oils. The competition has much better products.

Well kudos to you clap:

What harm could be caused by using API CF(Diesel engine oil) in a M800 which requires API SF/SG/SH/SJ? and also what harm can be caused in the converse case viz. using petrol engine oil in a diesel?

@vigsom
Your M800 is recommended to use Minimum SF Oil. You should use Engine Oil which has SF or SG or SH or SJ mentioned on the Can.

CF Oil is Diesel Engine Oil. I dont know whether there is any harm in using Diesel Engine Oil in Petrol Car. But I can definately tell that Petrol Engine Oil Should Not be used in Diesel Car since the latter requires Engine Oil which can withstand Higher Engine Temperatures

^^^ A gasolene specific oil should never be used in a diesel engine. It might be ok to do the converse though... may even lead to a cleaner engine. On the other hand, it may not be good for your catcon. Usually, most oils are rated for both petrol and diesel... so it would be safest to use these... as long as they meet the min. API grade.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

My Post remained incomplete due to office work.

Here is following part--
Diesel Engines Require Engine Oils which
1) can withstand higher engine temperatures
2) contain extra additives to clean the Extra Carbon produced during the
combustion process which is less in Petrol Engine Oils.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigsom (Post 1650812)
What harm could be caused by using API CF(Diesel engine oil) in a M800 which requires API SF/SG/SH/SJ? and also what harm can be caused in the converse case viz. using petrol engine oil in a diesel?

Why do you want to try something like that ?
I have heard enough tales of engine flushing and so on and had enough of it. Now a days Engine oils have become so complicated just like car electronics. That is why I have been stressing people to follow the oil grades strictly. Your vehicle is a machinery designed and built to run, manual will clearly specify the oil types you need to follow.
I had scooty pep, out of curiosity I wanted to change its oil, I went to store and asked for oil. That fellow didnt have the one I m asking for and so he gave me Castrol CRB plus diesel engine oil. Stupidly I used that oil without even noticing it. After the change I felt the vehicle literally sluggish. I could almost feel the vehicle as if there was 10 additional kilograms. Of course when I later noticed it I thought about how stupid I was. It was then later on I started my research regarding the engine oils and now I think I learnt a little bit. Personally I wouldnt suggest mismatching and using it.

Petrol engines are capable of running at higher rpms compared to diesel ones. A diesel engine oil has been designed after taking into account of it. It contains additives which are not necessary for a petrol engine. It will just increase the effort especially noticeable at higher rpms. Some reflect it to fuel consumption, keeping all that aside just consider the case of Oil dilution. The maximum limit for an oil dilution is 8% (diluted by fuel due to improper combustion) beyond which the oil is said to loose its lubricating capacity. Manuals specify km range for oil change this is not some number all these has been calculated considering your engine's manufacturing tolerances and stuff like that.
So with such a meager number being specified for oil dilution of an Engine oil do you really think Diesel engine oil with additives will serve the purpose of lubrication as effectively as petrol engine oil.

Tata Motors Ltd Recommends to use Diesel Engine Oil which meets the Following Specs--
1) 15W40 API CF4 for BS-II Indigo LS (May 2004)
2) 15W40 API CF4+ for BS-III Indigo XL Grand DiCOR (May 2007)

Mahindra & Mahindra Recommends to use Diesel Engine Oil which meets the Following Specs--
15W40 API CH4 for BS-III Xylo E8 ABS (Nov. 2009).

If I use Gulf Max-TD Diesel Engine Oil of 15W40 CI-4 in all three above vehicles what would be the Advantages and Disadvantages?

In my Opinion, there should not be any disadvantages but Advantages since Advance Grade (CI-4) than Recommended by Tata Motors Ltd (CF4, CF4+) and M&M (CH4) will be used.

Till Date I replaced the Engine Oil as below--
Indigo LS (May2004) 1,81,XXXkms--> Every 7,500kms (TML Recommended)
Indigo XL Grand DiCOR (May 2007) 99,XXXkms--> Every 10,000kms (TML Recommended)

Xylo E8 ABS--> Once at 1st Free Service 5,000kms. M&M Recommends Replacement every 15,000kms after First Change at 5,000kms. .i.e., next scheduled interval is at 20000kms. M&M says that if Engine oil other than Mahindra Maximile 15W40 API CH4 is used then reduce the interval to 10,000kms. But why to reduce the interval when the oil exceeds their Minimum Recommended Specs?

Should I Reduce the Drain Interval even after using Advance Oil or could I follow the Drain Intervals as Recommended by Manufacturers for both Indigos as well as Xylo?

Please check out the below link of Gulf Oil India--
Gulf Max TD 15W-40 - Engine Oil for Cars and Utility Vehicles by Gulf Oil

In regards to the Engine oil grade I would like to specify that Grade Calculation is performed also on the basis of Atmospheric Temperature as well.

Kindly note that some manufacturers are using 10W30 in places like NCR where in summer temperature goes up to 50degree C so that needs to be chaged to atleast with upper specification 40.

Engine oil diesel: Mobile 1 – 5W40
Petrol – Mobile 1 – 10W40

Thanks

Could More Members please post their views on my above query?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi (Post 1689929)
If I use Gulf Max-TD Diesel Engine Oil of 15W40 CI-4 in all three above vehicles what would be the Advantages and Disadvantages?

In my Opinion, there should not be any disadvantages but Advantages since Advance Grade (CI-4) than Recommended by Tata Motors Ltd (CF4, CF4+) and M&M (CH4) will be used.

Xylo E8 ABS--> Once at 1st Free Service 5,000kms. M&M Recommends Replacement every 15,000kms after First Change at 5,000kms. .i.e., next scheduled interval is at 20000kms. M&M says that if Engine oil other than Mahindra Maximile 15W40 API CH4 is used then reduce the interval to 10,000kms. But why to reduce the interval when the oil exceeds their Minimum Recommended Specs?

Should I Reduce the Drain Interval even after using Advance Oil or could I follow the Drain Intervals as Recommended by Manufacturers for both Indigos as well as Xylo?

Hi, I am sorry for my late reply. The CI-4 can be used in place of your recommended. Just remember both the Oils are for fuels with very low sulfur content. The oil change interval they mentioned is because of the emission regulations. Also just make sure you tank up in good petrol stations (remember its Diesel so making it more prone )
Hope that answers your question. You dont have to reduce the oil change interval.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rranjith_kum (Post 1710244)
Just make sure you tank up in good petrol stations (remember its Diesel so making it more prone )
Hope that answers your question. You dont have to reduce the oil change interval.

But Dear Ranjith, all our three vehicles travel in rural areas often. So cannot Guarantee about the Grade of Diesel used by Chauffer.
In Owner's Manual of Indigo XL Grand DiCOR, it is given that if Diesel containing Higher Contents of Sulphur is used, then reduce the Drain Interval.
Indigo XL Grand DiCOR and Xylo E8 (ABS) are BS-III Vehicles. Hence I think I should reduce the Drain Interval since Mostly Low Grade Diesel is available in Rural Areas.

yeah you should change the oil at regular intervals in that case. Yours is a perfect case of oil dilution.
Can you just let me know the price difference between the two oils specifics?