Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

I got my car serviced today. Since I requested Selenia semi synthetic oil this time around, they have used that.

In the bill, the item is described as

Fiat Diesel Engine Synthetic Oil - 5W40

I was surprised to see this since the car is a 1.2 Petrol. (Palio 1.2 NV)

Could this be a problem? Could there be two different versions of 5W40 for Petrol and Diesel?

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd July 2010 at 21:52.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I got my car serviced today. Since I requested Selenia semi synthetic oil this time around, they have used that.

Could this be a problem? Could there be two different versions of 5W40 for Petrol and Diesel?

Well, one way you could check is this; Petrol engine oils have an API S_ class, while diesel engine oils have an API C_ class. This would be mentioned on the can, along with the grade.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DRIV3R, but I don't have the can currently with me :(

What wrong could happen if it happens to be for diesel engine? Or what is the difference between these two classifications?

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd July 2010 at 22:37.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DRIV3R, but I don't have the can currently with me :(

What wrong could happen if it happens to be for diesel engine? Or what is the difference between these two classifications?
Just that diesel engine oils contain more of additives (detergents). You can pay a visit to the service centre and ask them for the can thereby clearing your doubts.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

That's right; there're few engine oils (Eg. Shell Helix) that suits both Petrol & Diesel engines. Check this out on Shell Helix Ultra. This is suitable for both Petrol & Diesel as it is certified for SM/CF.
Old 4th July 2010, 09:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

I checked Selenia web site and found that they recommend Selenia 20K oil for Palio 1.2 8V - that is SAE 10W-40, ACEA A3, API SL/CF. This, seems to be usable for both petrol and diesel.

I have filled WR 5W40 instead. (SAE 5W-40, ACEA B3/B4, API CF)

Since it doesn't show API S rating, I guess it is not really suitable for Petrol engines... or is it?
Old 4th July 2010, 10:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked Selenia web site and found that they recommend Selenia 20K oil for Palio 1.2 8V - that is SAE 10W-40, ACEA A3, API SL/CF. This, seems to be usable for both petrol and diesel.

I have filled WR 5W40 instead. (SAE 5W-40, ACEA B3/B4, API CF)

Since it doesn't show API S rating, I guess it is not really suitable for Petrol engines... or is it?

Yes buddy, the one you filled has an API CF rating indicating that it is only for diesel engines. Goto the A.S.S and get it drained and fill it with the other one. It is a mistake on their part, right?
Old 4th July 2010, 10:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yes buddy, the one you filled has an API CF rating indicating that it is only for diesel engines. Goto the A.S.S and get it drained and fill it with the other one. It is a mistake on their part, right?
It is not a mistake yet, it is sheer ignorance. They are using the same engine oil for all cars.

If anyone points this out, I am sure they will blindly try to convince that this oil is suitable for petrol engines as well - they think that customers don't know nothing about these and that they can be fooled easily.

Anyway, I am going to TASS next working day (Tuesday) and will ask them to drain this and fill the right oil. If they don't have it, I'll stick with normal mineral oil. I guess few days running with this oil should be okay.

Last edited by clevermax : 4th July 2010 at 10:22.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine oil grades

Quote:

Just noticed that it has been more than 1 year since my 6 year old car (Fiat Palio 1.2) ever visited a service station. It has run more than 13000 Kms during this period. No issues so far with the synthetic engine oil.

Average mileage during this period is 13 kmpl.

Anyway, I have decided to visit service station again and this time, changing the engine oil back to Mineral oil!

Last edited by clevermax : 8th August 2011 at 16:22.
Old 26th August 2011, 13:39   #40
BHPian

@Gansan All bikes in India (Bikes Manufactured in India) are equipped with Wet Clutch. So the Engine Oil of Cars would not be suitable for use in bikes.

When I was in Hubli during my engg days, the local mechanic always used to put Castrol CRB Plus (truck specific) in my Yamaha RX 135. He said its the best engine oil considering our continous high speed usage and believe me the bike ran like a charm and inspite of all the ripping and hilly terrain returned a very respectable 40 KMPL in the city and as high as 47-50 KMPL if we didnt rip it above 75KMPH. We used Castrol 2T.
Once I shifted back to Kolkata, my new mechanic used Castrol ( dont remember the exact grade and brand) and bike was smooth enough. Castrol 2T/ MAK were the 2T options.
In Chennai, the mechanic uses Shell 15W40 and I use Shell 2T. The bike jumps all over the place and the mileage has dropped also. Any ideas why ? the bike seems slightly "throttled" though I can hit 90 without much effort. The feel is strange.
[ Noticed the same thing in my WagonR once we shifted to the newer more expensive stuff. Somehow the old Indian Oil/ BPCL/ HPCL stuff worked great for me]
Do the gurus suggest I shift back to Yamaha lube and also get the bike serviced from Yamaha showrooms/ Castrol bike zones to see if the tuning and the engine oil has anything to do with the jumpiness and the jerks?

Last edited by Yamahead : 26th August 2011 at 13:41. Reason: spelling mistakes and wrong syntax.
Old 26th August 2011, 14:28   #41
BANNED

I think this is extensively discussed in the Synthetic Oils thread. Let me add a few bits - 5W40 is definitely a Synthetic. Most oils have both Petrol API-Sx and Diesel API-Cx ratings. @clevermax just check if it is SL or SM for petrol. Even SJ will do.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

@yamahead
Which Shell 15W40 Oil did you use? Shift to 2-Stroke Engine Oil and also get the Carb and Spark Plug cleaned and adjusted for your 135.
Edited: Also get the air filter cleaned.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 28th August 2011 at 17:29.
Old 26th February 2012, 20:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

My cousin has bought an used Honda City Type II. It is fitted with CNG.

He does not have owner's manual.
Please tell what is the recommended grade for Engine Oil and Gear Oil by Honda Company for the above car model?
Old 1st March 2012, 15:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't anyone know what grade Engine Oil and Gear Oil is recommended by Honda for City Type-II?
Old 1st March 2012, 19:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Doesn't anyone know what grade Engine Oil and Gear Oil is recommended by Honda for City Type-II?
Honda City Type II is the model that was introduced in late '99 early 2000 and went on to be sold till it was replaced by the NHC. It came with the 1.5 litre 100 BHP engine or a 1.3L 91 BHP engine. A VTEC engine version came with 107 BHP.

If that correctly identifies your car, the factory suggested oil for tropical weather is 20W-50 grade, API SJ or higher API spec. AFAIK Honda suggested mineral only possibly because synthetics were pretty rare to find and costly to use as the OHC had a 5K kms or 3 month drain interval.

However, many people including GTO, me and possibly others have used Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-50 in the OHC Type II VTEC and non-VTEC versions. The car worked beautifully with Mobil 1.

But here's a caveat - IF your car has been using mineral all these years and you have done >50K kms on the engine I would recommend sticking to mineral or semi synthetic. Castrol GTX 20w-50 is a good choice. Castrol Magnatec is 10w-40 and may not be recommended.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks