Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2009, 10:12   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Try EBC Ultimax, a pair costs around 7-8k in Mumbai.
8k ?! Online i found ebc redstuff for half that amount. And they're ceramic too. Would shipping them in be a better alternative ?
Old 5th July 2009, 11:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Shipping costs and duties will bring it up to around that amount minus the money that the distributor charges. You'll probably get it for a few hundred to a grand cheaper but with the hassle of getting it cleared through customs, etc.
Old 6th July 2009, 09:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
8k ?! Online i found ebc redstuff for half that amount. And they're ceramic too. Would shipping them in be a better alternative ?

Hi
If you need EBC brake pads let me know I have 1 in spare.Its brand new
cost Rs 3.5 k.
Let me know if you interested.

Rgds
Old 6th July 2009, 10:54   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Di1in, just a thought : Maybe the brake dust is all the more prominent due to your white alloy wheels? I mean, brake dust would not show up as much on regular silver / dark grey wheels.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

EBC green stuff dusts like crazy. I think even the stock replacement 'ultimax' would.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:42   #36
BHPian

I have Kevlar carbon brake pads. These do leave a whole lot of brake dust than normal. I consider this as part of their function and shows that they are wearing out instead of eating my rotors.

The only thing to do its to clean the wheels regularly. Need to find a good alloy wheel cleaner.
Old 6th July 2009, 13:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

normal car wash solution is sufficient to clean the wheels. but a good alloy wheel brush should be of great help. I'm trying to source one...
Old 6th July 2009, 17:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerm View Post
Hi
If you need EBC brake pads let me know I have 1 in spare.Its brand new
cost Rs 3.5 k.
Let me know if you interested.

Rgds
I've PMed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Di1in, just a thought : Maybe the brake dust is all the more prominent due to your white alloy wheels? I mean, brake dust would not show up as much on regular silver / dark grey wheels.
True, but there isn't any dust on my friends NHC. It runs on stock pads and has white alloys similar to mine. Moreover some dudes warned me that leaving the brake dust for over a week could damage the lacquer finish of the wheels and even move into the wheel corroding it. Wouldn't want that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
normal car wash solution is sufficient to clean the wheels. but a good alloy wheel brush should be of great help. I'm trying to source one...
Cleaning the dust ain't a problem, i use a normal towel to wipe it off. It's pretty darn easy.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:12   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting article from the New York Times website:

Brake Dust: A Problem That’s Not Really a Problem - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com
Old 30th October 2009, 11:54   #40
BHPian

I knew the problem would be discussed on team bhp before
Good that i searched before opening a new topic.

I am facing the same problem with my i20 Magna. Note that there are no alloy wheels. Had observed the same in other i20's as well and Punto.
Not seen on the problem on Swift.

When checked with the Hyundai service centre, they told that it was due to softer brake pads. The feedback have been given to Hyundai it seems and they are working on it. The guy told that since the car is also meant for Europe, it tendencly to use softer brake pads. However it will not affect any braking performance.
Old 30th October 2009, 12:07   #41
DRC
BHPian

Thanks for bringing up ntneo.
I too have this problem on my Petra. may be experts can help.
Brakes on my petra are very soft and spongy. I have got the brakes system bled and pads replaced. Yet they are spongy. I also notice the brake dust on wheels. I use TVS girling pards.
However, my swift has very sharp brakes and no brake dust visible.

One more observation, after the car wash and left overnight, I see the rust on my Petra's brake rotors, however swift remains clean. I was told by the garage that rust on rotor is normal since it is made of cast iron.
Old 10th October 2010, 15:35   #42
BHPian

Apart from the black dust, the front wheels have also started whistling.

The major part of the whistling comes from the front left wheel and it occurs when i steer right and accelerate.

It does not occur if the steering is fully turned, neither does it occur if im not accelerating. Occasionally the sound comes from the right wheel when i turn left but that is rare.

I've tried to rectify this problem at 3 different garages including which i've given it to FordJohns Central Motors 3 times. No one has been able to find out the problem though it does seem to go away temporarily when they remove the wheel and put it back.

The wheels are R15/195/55. I've run with them for a year and a half without this problem. When we hydro-lifted the car and checked the brakes, they didnt seem to be the problem.

Anybody have an inkling as to what might have gotten into my car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:36   #43
BHPian

Re: Deposits from brake pads?

Solved my problem.

Apart from one of the pads being misaligned, my side arms got bent. replaced them and everything as good as new.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks