Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 13:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
However i am a bit confused as the article mentions that you should fill on half tank full to avoid evaporation whereas 'vasudeva' claims you should fill when fuel is low?
Sorry, it was not low but fill at low pressure, which has been suggested by the thread originator.
Old 4th March 2008, 13:14   #17
BHPian

Good info there @wischvuanaudh..
Makes more sense given the recent hike in the fuel prices!
Old 4th March 2008, 15:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

One simple rule I follow is that I get down from my car.
Then I go and stand by the fuel inlet.
Only after this do I tell them how much petrol I want to be filled.

I don't allow the operator to enter an amount or quantity, but to reset the counter to 0.

Then I ask them in a very polite manner to put the auto cutoff ON and move away.

Once the flow has started, get my credit card ready.
Once auto cutoff triggers, hand over my credit card and move the car to the air pump.

Ask the operator to bring the card there for signature.

btw I generally fill petrol only in the morning and the absence of a crowd helps.

As an additional precaution, the cvc numbers on my credit card have been scratched out.
Old 4th March 2008, 22:21   #19
BHPian

Thanks everybody for your kind feedbacks. Really appreciate that.
Today when i went to fill in petrol,i saw that the tank was getting refilled.I did move away from there.
regards to all.
vichu.
Old 4th March 2008, 22:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Good one. I always wanted to fill up early in the morning, but I could never manage to get up so early and go for the fill
man looks like we have something common amongst us

just wanted to share an experience once when filling diesel for my jeep
once the attender initiated a talk about my spare tire ... i forgot to look for the zero to be reset he put diesel; i started off and after few minutes i realized the amount of fuel he had put was low as the needle didn't go up as much as i expected. I learn t and thereafter was more careful

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 4th March 2008 at 22:36.
Old 5th March 2008, 02:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't allow the operator to enter an amount or quantity, but to reset the counter to 0.

Then I ask them in a very polite manner to put the auto cutoff ON and move away.
Will follow this practice from now on. But how do i "politely" tell him to put the auto cut off on and MOVE AWAY?
Old 5th March 2008, 07:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Will follow this practice from now on. But how do i "politely" tell him to put the auto cut off on and MOVE AWAY?
Even before i open up the tank cap, i tell the guy, punch in Rs400. lock the nozzle and take his hands off..in case of bike. if he refuses, i just close the tank drag my bike to the side and ask for the complain book. This is good enough to get them in line.

For car, before he opens the tank cap, I ask him if the auto cut of works...if he says yes then I tell him to make use of it...set it to auto cut and take your hands off. sometimes they have tried to give me fundas like the nozzle may fall off..then I tell him that i will pay for the fuel wasted not to worry.

and i dont try to be polite. i just make sure that they get the message that i am quite aware of there cheating tricks and it wont work here.

Regards,
Old 5th March 2008, 08:20   #23
BHPian

hey man ,
many thanks for the info . Really appreciate it . Never thought filling in the morning makes such a lot of difference. And i'll make sure i never run my car to dry again . Small things can make a big difference and help us save fuel .
Old 5th March 2008, 09:22   #24
BHPian

Yes, me too. Always get down from my car and and stand near the fuel inlet. Always i opt for Auto Cutoff.
But sometimes i observed a strange behavior, say after putting some 5-10 litters it will stop filling the petrol by itself, petrol bunk guy say its because of some air pressure and again he will start. Normally i refill when its 1/4 empty. But i couldn't find any kind of cheating till now. Anything fishy on this?
Old 5th March 2008, 11:11   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post

Saw this movie last night and cannot give up such a nice chance to quote from it.

Juror #11: I beg pardon...
Juror #10: "I beg pardon?" What are you so polite about?
Juror #11: For the same reason you are not: it's the way I was brought up.
12 Angry Men (1957) - Memorable quotes

@Xehaust: I mean no disrespect to you. Just that I liked this quote so much.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:49   #26
BHPian

today my tank dried up, as I didn't fill her as I wanted to get it serviced.

Just after I moved out of the workshop, the engined died out, I called my Brother and asked him to get 2 lt, then at the petrol pump it only took in 35 lt with the auto cut off.

Just wanted to ask what is the actual capacity of the tank, I am sure it would be much more than 35 lt..and if it was cut on 35 lt, then it can accept a lot more fuel...
Old 6th March 2008, 07:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Saw this movie last night and cannot give up such a nice chance to quote from it.

Juror #11: I beg pardon...
Juror #10: "I beg pardon?" What are you so polite about?
Juror #11: For the same reason you are not: it's the way I was brought up.
12 Angry Men (1957) - Memorable quotes

@Xehaust: I mean no disrespect to you. Just that I liked this quote so much.
Hehe, none taken, made me smile actually. I just wanna be polite to the attendants at the pump i fill my fuel as i regularly fill only from there and get excellent service. So i dont want to come off as being rude when i ask them to fill the tank in this way.
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:20   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Useful Tips on Filling Fuel in your Car / Bike

• ONLY BUY or FILL UP YOUR CAR or BIKE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD.
  • Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.
  • In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A ‘1’ degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
  • [WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.] – Currently Not applicable in India, as we don’t fill up ourselves but worth watching the man who fills up your vehicle.
  • ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where one of my friend works, every truck that they load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.
  • ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP.Most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.
DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS to help save fuel and your hard earned money.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd April 2008 at 09:24. Reason: Removed color\size\font tags
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thread Closed

Hi Shankar,

This has been already posted here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-your-car.html (Tips On Filling Your Car.)

Please search the forum before opening a new thread.

Thread Closed
Old 24th April 2008, 19:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wischvuanaudh View Post
One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
I am in agreement with the other measures, but may be not this one.

Just a thought, won't you burn more fuel by making extra visits to the pump if you go filling every so often as soon as you reach a half tank? Maybe, experts can throw more light on this?

Most Viewed