Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Ram - apol for a 2 year late reply but the Santro AC is defnitely not on par, forget being best in the industry. I have seen our car, showroom cars and friends cars and the AC is pretty mediocre and works only in medium heat.
Very true..We have 2 santros, one a 99 model, another xing 05 model in our family. Both are well maintained with regular services.
the AC is not upto the mark in summers.
comparitively my 10 year old matiz cools the cabin in a jiffy.
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

correction. the ac in my santro works fine and chills, however Delhis summers around 11-4pm the effect of ac is nil and I am even sweating.

Have shown it to ASC, they said, its delhis summers the ac is that effective only.

Now what ? Is it same in other cars too ? Santro - Scorpio ?
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
He also suggested I get the condenser grill thoroughly flushed by hosing pressurized water onto it from some distance. Since I had already got the car pressure-washed thoroughly on two occasions without any significant improvements to the AC, I discounted it.
This is something which has been suggested by some Hyundai folks ( outside Kolkata, not where I usually take my car to )..I think washing condenser grill only cleans the dust and that effect has no significant improvement over ac provided you get your car washed twice in a year.

I am driving my Santro for 28K + kms..My ac works very well and my experience says Santro AC is more powerful than contemporary cars..it is definitely better than Wagon R, Alto..I have no sun film fitted in windows yet..One significant point I noticed with one of my colleagues Santro, he is using it for a bit more than mine..He recently had a gas top up from local garage..He is saying it is better now, though I feel no difference in his ac performance..
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
correction. the ac in my santro works fine and chills, however Delhis summers around 11-4pm the effect of ac is nil and I am even sweating.

Have shown it to ASC, they said, its delhis summers the ac is that effective only.

Now what ? Is it same in other cars too ? Santro - Scorpio ?
I don't agree with the answer you got.
  1. Do you have Sun films on windows and rear ?
  2. When was the last time you got Gas level checked ?
  3. Did you ever washed the condensor COil (the one which is infront of radiator) in-between Norma Car servicing ?
  4. Get your Door linings checked for leaks.(the black pipe like thing around all 4 doors)
try the above 4, I am sure you'll have better cooling and no sweating.
My city is having 44-47°C these days and I am much happy with Santro A.C.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I don't agree with the answer you got.
  1. Do you have Sun films on windows and rear ?
  2. When was the last time you got Gas level checked ?
  3. Did you ever washed the condensor COil (the one which is infront of radiator) in-between Norma Car servicing ?
  4. Get your Door linings checked for leaks.(the black pipe like thing around all 4 doors)
try the above 4, I am sure you'll have better cooling and no sweating.
My city is having 44-47°C these days and I am much happy with Santro A.C.

Yeah, I agree, even I am not convinced that the AC can be so laggard during noon time.

yes, I have sunfilms throughout, even the front windshield
gas level - havent checked it yet, as it chills during morning and evening hours, I need to keep it at speed 1
my car goes for jet spray cleaning once in two weeks, and I think the condensor coil is cleaned during that time (can anyone help me in identifying it)
Door linings etc, what is this pipe like thing around 4 doors ? You mean rubber sealing for doors ?

Good that you are happy with your AC during noon time, I dread going out between 11AM -4 PM in my santro in this weather.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:04   #21
BHPian

please see the pictures, everybody would understand what should be cleaned and checked for proper cleaning.

For door lining it must be checked every year as cars which are parked under SUN for long hours are prone to get this damaged/leaked.
Poor AC Cooling in Santro-img00088.jpg

Poor AC Cooling in Santro-img00089.jpg

Name:  IMG00090.jpg
Views: 12730
Size:  44.7 KB

Poor AC Cooling in Santro-img00091.jpg

clean the condenser with lots of water spray and it will give
better cooling, in dusty cities it should be cleaned 15-30 days usage.
Poor AC Cooling in Santro-img00093.jpg
Old 25th May 2010, 10:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

wow ghpk, thanks for uploading those pics.

You have no idea what a great job you have done.

I am going to get the AC compressor cleaned now, will get it done this weekend and report the results.

Thanks again for your inputs. Checked the lining, it looks fine.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:44   #23
Team-BHP Support

In older cars, its often the coils behind the dash which are the problem area due to dust.
Our indica has this problem. In the indica you take down the entire dashboard.
Thankfully in santro this can be done without taking down the dashboard.
It improved the cooling by a huge huge margin!
Old 25th May 2010, 15:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In older cars, its often the coils behind the dash which are the problem area due to dust.
Our indica has this problem. In the indica you take down the entire dashboard.
Thankfully in santro this can be done without taking down the dashboard.
It improved the cooling by a huge huge margin!
In Santro (xing) there's no User cleanable filter in dash board, there's one in many new cars including the i20.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

I am not talking about the filter. I am talking about the coils themselves. Normally a coil runs behind the dashboard, and this coil is cooled. Then the blower(fan) blows air and this coil cools the airflow. After 2-3 years in a dusty environment, the coil and fins get coated with fine dust.
This slows down the fan as well as reduces cooling as dust is an insulator.
To clean this in indica there are 2 days.
1. Take down the coil - This means gas will leak
2. Take down the dashboard, and clean the coil without any gas leak.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 22:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am not talking about the filter. I am talking about the coils themselves. Normally a coil runs behind the dashboard, and this coil is cooled. Then the blower(fan) blows air and this coil cools the airflow. After 2-3 years in a dusty environment, the coil and fins get coated with fine dust.
This slows down the fan as well as reduces cooling as dust is an insulator.
To clean this in indica there are 2 days.
1. Take down the coil - This means gas will leak
2. Take down the dashboard, and clean the coil without any gas leak.
Thanks for correcting me, is there such a coil in Santro Xing ?
i would certainly go for cleaning as I am always having dust problems in my city/home/garage.
Old 26th May 2010, 08:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Thanks for correcting me, is there such a coil in Santro Xing ?
i would certainly go for cleaning as I am always having dust problems in my city/home/garage.
From my experience I guess there's this coil on the passenger side of the dashboard. When I got my AC checked, the guy carried a test bulb, connected it to the battery to light it up and then got under the front passenger side dashboard. He visually inspected the coil and told me it was alright. I guess it should be somewhere near or to the left of the glovebox compartment.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From my experience I guess there's this coil on the passenger side of the dashboard. When I got my AC checked, the guy carried a test bulb, connected it to the battery to light it up and then got under the front passenger side dashboard. He visually inspected the coil and told me it was alright. I guess it should be somewhere near or to the left of the glovebox compartment.
I think you are right. Once I was in the front passenger seat with my legs stretched. As soon as AC was switched ON I could feel some vibrations under my right leg. This vibration would go off as soon as AC was switched OFF.

I guess this has to be something related to what you are saying, coils etc which work when AC is ON.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:

there's a VENT in Santro, you can see it on passenger side, Left side of A.C. Motor, but it doesn't have any detachable part, its just a sponge based filter which brings fresh air inside when opted and you open air vent.

for cleaning of filter, motor, may be coiling coil ( if it exists)one has to get dash board taken off.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:10   #30
BHPian

i have a santro Xing and in delhi summers AC is a total failure , i have tried cleaning of condensers by water but they are temporary solutions.

the AC trips at lower speed and it is too hot for rear seat passengers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks