Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 20:20   #1
BHPian

Knocking Sound in Santro

I own a 2000 model santro. I recently got it tuned by a company mechanic. After that some times in 2nd or 1st gear the car sort of jumps forward and stalls. Then a mettallic knocking sound is heard from under the dash. Please help me sort this out guys.
Old 7th March 2008, 21:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

At what speeds do you see this ?
Old 7th March 2008, 21:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

What do you mean by tuned? Did you specifically ask them to tune for mileage or so?
Old 8th March 2008, 04:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vys De BlUR View Post
IThen a mettallic knocking sound is heard from under the dash. Please help me sort this out guys.
Is it from under the dash, or is it likely to be coming from inside the engine bay?

Is it more of an erratic clicking sound ( a faulty relay ) ?

cya
R
Old 8th March 2008, 09:59   #5
BHPian

He mentioned "metallic knocking sound" so i must be the relay.
Old 8th March 2008, 13:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Is it engine pinging?

Slightly OT: Yday i drove my Managers Getz 1.3 and boy oh boy once heated up with AC on, its a pain to move the car at incline (even in I gear) without pinging.

Have observed other Hyundai cars with the same phenomenon.
Old 8th March 2008, 15:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Has the mileage dropped drastically,i feel the engine is running rich and overheating.I maybe wrong just a sugestion.

ram
Old 8th March 2008, 16:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

There is a aircon pipe which is attached to the body dividing the enginebay and cabin.

The pipe is clamped onto the body, if loose will rattle and make you feel as if something is rattling inside the dashboard.

Check it out.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:58   #9
BHPian

I got it tuned for better acceleration. And the mileage has dropped by 1 or 2 km thats all.
OH and it happens at really low speeds like 20-40km/hr.
Old 11th March 2008, 13:43   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
I own a 2000 model santro. I recently got it tuned by a company mechanic. After that some times in 2nd or 1st gear the car sort of jumps forward and stalls. Then a mettallic knocking sound is heard from under the dash. Please help me sort this out guys.
I got my 2000 model Santro tuned for better pickup almost immediately after purchase and did not have any problem for several years. Recently I did observe a similar problem after the car was serviced at Sanjay Hyundai. The car tends to stall at low speeds and you have to be prompt with the gear changes. Your clutch release should be gradual when the car starts to move from a stationary position (especially on a cold engine).

At Sanjay Hyundai, apart from routine service (which presumably includes engine tuning) they also changed my tail pipe and did clutch overhaul. So I am not sure what exactly is the cause of the slight stall at lower speeds. E.g. if the speed comes down below 15-20 kmph in second, the car tends to stall a little. At Sanjay Hyundai they said this is normal, but I did not observe this earlier.

I am now routinely using Speed 97 and I must say the car has excellent pickup. I am ignoring the slight tendency to stall at lower speeds and I have made the adjustment needed in my driving style.

My suggestion is to try one or two tankfulls of Speed 97 and see if the knocking sound disappears (due to the higher octane rating). Poor quality fuel could be one possible reason.
Old 11th March 2008, 13:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got it tuned for better acceleration. And the mileage has dropped by 1 or 2 km thats all.
OH and it happens at really low speeds like 20-40km/hr.
Check the timing. If the timing is advanced too much then pinking or knocking can occur. Also the quality of fuel used matters and bad quality fuel can cause knocking. Check the condition of the spark plugs too.

I had a similar issue a year or so back. For more info : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-noise.html
Old 11th March 2008, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

And did you mean 'knocking?'
Old 12th March 2008, 18:25   #13
BHPian

Thanks dudes for your suppport!! The problem is finally solved!! It was a problem with the DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM. I got it replaced. They also did do somethimg with the relay. But the bottom line is car's fine now, though i'm not!! 9.5k 4 the whole deal!!!!
Old 12th March 2008, 22:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

how did you guys tune the ECU car?
Old 18th March 2008, 17:48   #15
alv

Need your help - My zen for the last 1 year has this peculiar knocking sound ( its like a wooden knocking ) sound that comes from the drivers side fron from below the bonnet . Its a Thud - thud sound and its very very irritating . I have visited 3 different Maruti service centres with this problem NO ONE has found a solution - Now heres what happens

This sound is heard ONLY during summers ( afternoons , heavy traffic in evening sessions ) , no sound at all through winters , rainy season only during summers . This happens after i have driven about 8 Kms + and the engine is sufficiently hot , once the engine cools there is no sound and begins once again after reaching a particular temp .

I know its something to do with expansion of some part on heating - but neither me ( given my limited technical knowledge on cars ) nor the service guys ( shame - given their experience in this field ) are able to sort out the issue .

anyone who has faced a similar issue -pls respond so that i can pin point the problem to service guys and get rid of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks