Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 22:34   #1
BHPian

In Hood cleaning

I like my car clean and shiny on the outside and inside and it pains when i open the lid to see the engine drowned in dirt. My swift is mighty dusty under the hood thanks to the Delhi dust. Wanted to ask you wise folks if there is any way I can clean it and if yes, what’s the best bet, water, diesel, kerosene etc!
Old 7th March 2008, 22:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

I clean engine bay with a wet cloth regularly.
I have seen the service centre spraying water at high pressure. So it must be alright.
If you have a K&N filter, make sure its wrapped in plastic before spraying any liquid.
Old 8th March 2008, 04:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have seen the service centre spraying water at high pressure. So it must be alright.
Well, it can cause problems.
They usually cover the distributor with a plastic bag.
Even then, its not uncommon for your car to run very rough after such a cleaning because of water that has got in the sparkplug holes etc.
It can take quite some time to dry out, so usually it is best to spray them dry with compressed air.

cya
R
Old 8th March 2008, 13:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Pressure wash but ensure they dont direct the nozzle to electrical connectors, plug caps, electrical equipments like fans, starter moter and other sensors. After wash use compressed air to dry the bay, drive the car around for sometime to dry and leave the engine bay open for couple of hours to let the moisture off.

Avoid spraying diesel and kerosene after the wash to get that shiny look. Use the same before washing if you have lot of oil residue in the bay, but ensure this is washed off.

Every week using compressed air from vacuum cleaner and then wiping the bay with damp cloth helps in keeping the bay clean till next wash.
Old 8th March 2008, 15:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Pressure wash is never adviced as water may be clogging in the sensor points etc which may cause issues.The service guys spray water and then they blow air also so they are dry after this.
ram
Old 8th March 2008, 16:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Situated on the fringes of the ever expanding Thar, Delhi has this major problem of dust.

I take my trucks once in 20 - 25 days to the garage to give them a pressure wash other than daily cleaning everyday that is done by a car cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
I like my car clean and shiny on the outside and inside and it pains when i open the lid to see the engine drowned in dirt. My swift is mighty dusty under the hood thanks to the Delhi dust. Wanted to ask you wise folks if there is any way I can clean it and if yes, what’s the best bet, water, diesel, kerosene etc!
Old 9th March 2008, 12:43   #7
BHPian

Best is to get it clean at time of Service Wash, Ask the cleaner to rub the shampoo inside also, Cover up the Ignition coil, and before the wash begins, ensure that all couplers are secure.

After shampooing inside, ask the the pressure of water spray to be reduced or turned into a mist by regulating the nozzle, Wash- Leave to dry and then Blow Air all around the Couplers-ECU and Ignition Coil area.

And you have a clean engine bay to last you a good 3 weeks. Avoid any polish, Shiner Silicon Based or the Popular Diesel Spray-These are Dust Maganates.

If you're doing all this at home, Every off day, Create a Mix of Shampoo foam and clean the bay yourself, after that use a water mug or hose to wash it down and dry with Air from Vaccum cleaner or Simple cloth.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 9th March 2008 at 12:46.
Old 9th March 2008, 12:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

when i meant pressure wash, i assumed that the person who does it will resort to spray mode
Old 9th March 2008, 13:37   #9
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies, guess a damp cloth seems the safest bet. Me think the swift inhood seems most un-organised of most of now days cars, man even my santro has a better arranged engine to look at
Old 10th March 2008, 17:29   #10
BHPian

Because of sensitive electronics, I prefer using an old paint brush dipped in strong Surf solution, fluff this all over exposed parts, hoses, etc, then rinse with a gentle stream of water from a garden hose. Have never had a problem, and the engine remains clean for a long time.
Old 14th March 2008, 21:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

no pressure washing please

All those who said No...Hats Off... I was Pressure Washing my Hood for the last 5 years.. until some time last year my buddys NEW WagonR LPG got Dead after a wash a local car wash...Engine Started Misfiring, Backfiring, to an extent that the airfilter assly got blown clean away from the head..!! after weeks of trouble shooting, gave it RNS Bangalore, claimed warranty for both the (Distributors) I think..the 2 black boxes on the head that generate the spark... Whew.. close shave that one.. now the car is much ok...
Old 15th March 2008, 10:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

A strange happening; rarely heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
All those who said No...Hats Off... I was Pressure Washing my Hood for the last 5 years.. until some time last year my buddys NEW WagonR LPG got Dead after a wash a local car wash...Engine Started Misfiring, Backfiring, to an extent that the airfilter assly got blown clean away from the head..!! after weeks of trouble shooting, gave it RNS Bangalore, claimed warranty for both the (Distributors) I think..the 2 black boxes on the head that generate the spark... Whew.. close shave that one.. now the car is much ok...
Old 15th March 2008, 11:08   #13
BHPian

I dont know if its right but I have had no problems till date with the wash method where i get the car cleaned

Engine Bay
pressure water (not the high pressure as used to clean the underbody but surely not spray as mentioned by Jaggu),

then compressed air blown

diesel or kerosene sprayed (not sure) - then the exterior gets cleaned requiring about 20 minutes

and finally hot air dry cleaning.
Old 15th March 2008, 15:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I dont know if its right but I have had no problems till date with the wash method where i get the car cleaned

Engine Bay
pressure water (not the high pressure as used to clean the underbody but surely not spray as mentioned by Jaggu),

I also didnt mean spray as in sprinkle, diffuse the jet to make it spray

then compressed air blown

diesel or kerosene sprayed (not sure) -

dont do this, it does more harm than good

then the exterior gets cleaned requiring about 20 minutes

and finally hot air dry cleaning.
But wipe also to avoid marks

Added my comments, in bold, on top
Old 15th March 2008, 15:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sideways and I went over to a service centre here in Dubai recently after I picked up the Chevy with a replaced engine. The engine compartment was filled with dust, grease-pawmarks, grime and oil.

Gave it to the service centre to get the engine bay back to what it used to be and they did the following:

1. Sprayed the entire engine bay with WD40 and let it soak for a while.

2. Wiped it clean.

3. Steam-cleaned the entire engine and the stuff around it.

The vehicle came back with a squeaky clean, polished engine bay that wouldnt look out of place on a showroom car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks