Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2008, 16:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Two shock absorbers per wheel: Gypsy King

I saw a raid-de-himalaya video (here) in which the owner mentioned that he had suspension modified to have 2 shocks per wheel. I have 2 questions:
  • Will 2 shocks per wheel improve the off-road aspects of the Gypsy in the raid-de-himalaya? How?
  • Would the 2 shocks per wheel improve the Gypsy's ride in city too?

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2008 at 23:24. Reason: Link added to the video.
Old 16th March 2008, 19:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rather have a single 2xstiffer damper.
Old 16th March 2008, 20:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

The plus point with 2x setup is that even if one damper gets shot you have another one which is better than no damper.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The plus point with 2x setup is that even if one damper gets shot you have another one which is better than no damper.
But that is having one extra damper... Would a 2x setup improve the off-road driving (or city driving) capabilities? -- Assuming that both are working.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

the last thing you need on the raid is your suspension breaking down at 15000 ft! thats why 2 suspensions are necessary.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think its done primarily to get the desired damping, not for redundancy (although that is a side benefit).
Old 17th March 2008, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes redundancy is a side benefit.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan
the last thing you need on the raid is your suspension breaking down at 15000 ft! thats why 2 suspensions are necessary.
High performance dampers from companies like Koni, Tien, Bilstein, pedders are built for endurance.
Old 30th December 2009, 20:51   #9
BHPian

I am sorry I had missed this earlier. So whats the verdict on having 2 shocks per wheel ?
Will it help to improve the ride in a gypsy in the city?

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 30th December 2009, 21:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not only raid gypsies, even our INRC gypsies use two shocks per wheel, it offers better stability. The last thing you want when you are hurtling towards a corner at break neck speed is to lose your shocks. The kind of terrain we drive on during the rallies are very bad, adding an extra shock absorber helps a lot.

The stock gypsy is a back breaker in itself. But the rally gypsies have even worse ride. I hurt my back quite badly when we took the jump during the SSS in INRC round 5. The shocks wont make any difference to the ride.
Old 31st December 2009, 00:43   #11
BHPian

Lets forget rallying and offroad driving for a moment and consider only city and highway driving. Will a 2 shock setup make any difference to the ride quality on tarred roads ? Meaning thereby that will it make the ride comfortable as compared to single shock units.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Not only raid gypsies, even our INRC gypsies use two shocks per wheel, it offers better stability. The last thing you want when you are hurtling towards a corner at break neck speed is to lose your shocks. The kind of terrain we drive on during the rallies are very bad, adding an extra shock absorber helps a lot.

The stock gypsy is a back breaker in itself. But the rally gypsies have even worse ride. I hurt my back quite badly when we took the jump during the SSS in INRC round 5. The shocks wont make any difference to the ride.
Old 31st December 2009, 01:15   #12
BHPian

Does anyone hav a pic of this set up?
Old 31st December 2009, 14:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg
Lets forget rallying and offroad driving for a moment and consider only city and highway driving. Will a 2 shock setup make any difference to the ride quality on tarred roads ?
Ride quality is ride quality, man. Offroad, rally, city or highway.
And speedmeister has clearly(and logically too) told that the ride gets only worse with 2 shox per corner.
Old 31st December 2009, 15:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

speedmiester is on dot i guess.

Ride will not improve, on the contrary it might become even worse, but it helps to have an additional life line in extreme sports situations. Especially in a vehicle like gypsy which can generally fly in air for couple of meters, in that terrain and at that speeds.

My friend had a neat experience with an ulta set up in his car, soft stock shocks at rear and rally spec fronts. Show it a nice undulation and rear will get into competition mode with front, trying to flip the car from the back, its pretty scary situation according to him.
Old 31st December 2009, 18:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Lets forget rallying and offroad driving for a moment and consider only city and highway driving. Will a 2 shock setup make any difference to the ride quality on tarred roads ? Meaning thereby that will it make the ride comfortable as compared to single shock units.
The ride quality is very bad. Definitely not recommended for city/road use. Basically we use the same stock shock absorbers. Just eight of them, instead of the regular four.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks