Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2008, 23:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brake Pads for Scorpio

I need to replace the front brake disc pads on my scorpio. The dealer has quoted me an expenditure of Rs 4000 including labour & Tax. Outside as per quotes the price is ranging from Rs 900 to 1600 inclusive of labour. My worry is about the originality of parts available.
1. Nippon is being quoted anywhere from Rs 950 to 1100 for the set of 2. Are these good? Any authorised dealer for them in Delhi?
2. Other brand being quoted in TVS but the price is from Rs 600 to 950. Where can i get the original ones in Delhi?
Help is also needed in finding a good reliable guy from whom to either buy them or get the work done beleving that he would use the original parts.

@ GD bhai any idea? Other folks using the Scorpio in Delhi/NCR please help.
Old 17th March 2008, 00:38   #2
BHPian

4K sounds like a lot for brake pads!! For my Accent, it cost about 2K. The local market ones (i.e. non-genuine) were about 900 bucks or so... so made the mistake of going for those ones. Well, they work okay for the most part, but they make a lot of cheen cheen noise. If you can overlook that, go for the local make, otherwise stick to original parts.

As for the 4K price, let other Scorpio users report on that.
Old 19th March 2008, 15:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Finally got Kalyani Brake System ( the OEM for Scorpio Brake Pads) for Rs 900. The guy say they are genuine but I have my doubts. Anyway have put them for the time being and lets see.
Mods Please close the thread if deemed fit.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Finally got Kalyani Brake System ( the OEM for Scorpio Brake Pads) for Rs 900. The guy say they are genuine but I have my doubts. Anyway have put them for the time being and lets see.
Mods Please close the thread if deemed fit.
And how much did the labor cost?

I guess myTvs is a good place to go for these kind of jobs.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And how much did the labor cost?

I guess myTvs is a good place to go for these kind of jobs.
any local mechanic wud do that for 50 bucks.
Old 19th March 2008, 23:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Brake pad change is a DIY if U've watched one earlier.
Old 20th March 2008, 08:51   #7
BHPian

Hey wanderernomad, give us your view on the brake pads. As mentioned here earlier, myTVS would have been the best placce to get this done.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Look the same. Labour cost was 150 bucks but since the brake cylinder was also replaced it costed me 500 rs.
Old 24th March 2008, 19:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey wanderernomad, give us your view on the brake pads. As mentioned here earlier, myTVS would have been the best placce to get this done.
I dont know if there are exceptions.But, the MyTVS' in my opinion are just filled with homo-sapiens with monkey brains.
Old 25th March 2008, 14:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

I go to my local garage wallah in Gurgaon, If it suits you PM me. IMHO, 4K is a rip-off. I changed my front disc rotors and pads for 3000 with OEM parts on 26th Dec '07.

Quote:
I need to replace the front brake disc pads on my scorpio. The dealer has quoted me an expenditure of Rs 4000 including labour & Tax. Outside as per quotes the price is ranging from Rs 900 to 1600 inclusive of labour. My worry is about the originality of parts available.
1. Nippon is being quoted anywhere from Rs 950 to 1100 for the set of 2. Are these good? Any authorised dealer for them in Delhi?
2. Other brand being quoted in TVS but the price is from Rs 600 to 950. Where can i get the original ones in Delhi?
Help is also needed in finding a good reliable guy from whom to either buy them or get the work done beleving that he would use the original parts.

@ GD bhai any idea? Other folks using the Scorpio in Delhi/NCR please help.

Last edited by gd1418 : 25th March 2008 at 14:10.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:12   #11
BHPian

Hi,

I had to change the brake pads of my Scorpio 2.6 DX (Non CRDE) recently. My car is serviced and repaired by my Mechanic and not the Service Centers. My Mechanic fitted Brake Pads of "Rane" make, and told me these were good enough. These costed 1200, for 2 pairs. I was not sure about this make so i told him i'd rather get the original fitment. I also wanted to know what make Mahindra uses for Original Fitment. I sent a guy to the Mahindra Service Center and he bought 2 pairs of brake pads for my Scorpio for Rs 2000 + Tax, something like 2350/= . And guess what when i opened the box, the Original Brake Pads alsoturned out to be of "Rane" make, with the scorpio logo printed.

Ive noticed when my mechanics put in substandard Brake Pads, when i was driving steep downhills in the hills, while braking there would be a burning smell. The discs were heating up, and i had to get them turned and the brake pads changed immediately on my return. So the moral of the story is that it is very important to have good quality brake pads fitted.

Styler
Old 26th March 2008, 13:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

@styler : I checked from the Scorpio guys and they conveyed that Kalyani Brake Systems are the OEM for Scorpio. I dont know about Rane.
@Gd bhai : ab to lagava liye hain, anyway will drop in for a beer atleast as the summers are getting hot now.
Old 26th March 2008, 14:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
@styler : I checked from the Scorpio guys and they conveyed that Kalyani Brake Systems are the OEM for Scorpio. I dont know about Rane.
@Gd bhai : ab to lagava liye hain, anyway will drop in for a beer atleast as the summers are getting hot now.
I guess they source their spares from a few different Vendors.
The ones i bought from Autharised Service Center were in Mahindra Boxes but were manufactred by a company called Rane. Mahindra people had printed their logos on it, but Rane Was embossed.
Old 26th March 2008, 16:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rane is a huge component company.
They do a lot of OE and are not bad at all.
KBX is a good brand too.
Old 27th March 2008, 06:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for being OT. Anytime dear. Let the parched throats be watered...

[quote=wanderernomad;772257@Gd bhai : ab to lagava liye hain, anyway will drop in for a beer atleast as the summers are getting hot now.[/quote]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks