Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2008, 14:33   #16
BHPian

The dead give away is constant vibration from the engine(rythmic if you will). The way youd distingush this from a bad plug(misfiring) is that misfiring essentially causes an Imbalance in the engine and the exhaust and engine noise are not constant. Its as if there are "hiccups".
Old 13th April 2008, 16:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Took the 124 out after a very long time. As soon as I cranked her, she came to life with a shudder, which I felt through my feet and the steering on my hands. This mounts gone for sure. Am replacing all three mounts tomorrow. My cars done a very sparingly used 72K from the time I bought her new in 1996. Time to repay her loyalty with some new mounts at least.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2008, 18:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

By the third mount you mean the rear engine/gearbox mount? Most, don't change this and then complain of a strange hum in the gear lever area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
TThis mounts gone for sure. Am replacing all three mounts tomorrow. My cars done a very sparingly used 72K from the time I bought her new in 1996. Time to repay her loyalty with some new mounts at least.
Old 14th April 2008, 12:08   #19
BHPian

Also, The engine will will seem to be off its position, drooping on one side.
this happens when mount gets worn out quicker than the other.

Eg)On my 118ne the left mount needs to replaced more often than the right side mount.Similar thing with the FIAT 1100.
Old 18th April 2008, 07:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
what about judder when you switch on the AC. ?
I too have the same question...any ideas on this?
Old 20th April 2008, 02:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
By the third mount you mean the rear engine/gearbox mount? Most, don't change this and then complain of a strange hum in the gear lever area..
You youre right. When changing mounts after such a long time, best is to change all of them.
Old 11th May 2012, 15:33   #22
BHPian

re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Adding to an old thread.

I drive a 2009 model verna CRDi. From the last few weeks, I started feeling a vibration in the engine and took it to ***. They have suggested an engine mount replacement as they found it to be faulty.
Is it better to change all the 3 engine mounts? As of now they have suggested to change the one on left side near the water tank for windshield spray

Do they lift the engine and disconnect everything when they replace the engine mount? I am worried if this will cause more problems
Old 11th May 2012, 15:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Do they lift the engine and disconnect everything when they replace the engine mount? I am worried if this will cause more problems
they would not have to disconnect/lift the engine. what is the mileage on the Verna? it seems too early for engine mounts to be worn for a 2009 make car - only exception i know of is early Civic which were known to have problems with engine mounts post 50k mileage.
Old 11th May 2012, 15:58   #24
BHPian

It has covered only 32k till now.

The car was rarely used for almost 1.5 years. Covered only 3K kms in this time. Can this be a reason? Most of the time it was parked and started once in a while or driven once in 2 weeks or so.

Edit: I was at the *** and i could see that the vibration reduces when they put a small iron rod near the mount and tighten it. Otherwise it vibrates much more while starting and stopping.

Last edited by ArunV : 11th May 2012 at 16:00.
Old 11th May 2012, 17:20   #25
BHPian

My Alto (2008 December) has done close to 32000 kms. I experience the following.
1. A deep throated hum when I try to accelerate at any gear. The hum dies down as the speed increases
2. The first time I start the car after a, say, 6-hour break, there is a sudden jerk and the car lurches forward when I slot it into 2nd gear from 1st.

Does this warrant an inspection of the engine mounts? And any idea on how much it might cost to replace them at an authorized Maruti Service Station?
Old 11th May 2012, 17:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
My Alto (2008 December) has done close to 32000 kms. I experience the following.
1. A deep throated hum when I try to accelerate at any gear. The hum dies down as the speed increases
2. The first time I start the car after a, say, 6-hour break, there is a sudden jerk and the car lurches forward when I slot it into 2nd gear from 1st.

Does this warrant an inspection of the engine mounts? And any idea on how much it might cost to replace them at an authorized Maruti Service Station?
Even i used to feel a slight vibration when i accelarate. During last service they have applied grease in the differential spline(I am not sure if this is the correct word. What i meant is the connection from differential to the wheel hub) and it has gone.
Old 13th August 2013, 20:35   #27
BHPian

Re: Detecting worn engine mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Took the 124 out after a very long time. As soon as I cranked her, she came to life with a shudder, which I felt through my feet and the steering on my hands. This mounts gone for sure. Am replacing all three mounts tomorrow. My cars done a very sparingly used 72K from the time I bought her new in 1996. Time to repay her loyalty with some new mounts at least.
Bumping up an old thread .

V-16, how much did the engine mounts cost? And how long did it take for replacing the old mounts with the new ones? My W124 has done 1,25,xxx and in a few thousand km more, it will need new mounts. Do the E220 and E250 have different mounts?
Old 13th August 2013, 20:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Bumping up an old thread .

V-16, how much did the engine mounts cost? And how long did it take for replacing the old mounts with the new ones? My W124 has done 1,25,xxx and in a few thousand km more, it will need new mounts. Do the E220 and E250 have different mounts?
Hope this helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-W...-/330762974843
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 21:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Thanks SirAlec That would be close to Rs.6000 here, but it doesn't say its for the W124s. I found these at Eurocarparts:

--------------
Lemforder Engine Mount (Left & Right) Part No.: 337220675
Lemforder Engine Mount (Left & Right) List Price £78.50
Our Price £53.40
--------------
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Right) Part No.: 337220140
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Right) List Price £59.30
Our Price £28.74
--------------
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Left) Part No.: 337220670
Q-Drive Engine Mount (Left & Right, Left) List Price £78.50
Our Price £29.94

Lemforder,Qdrive.. Out of these, which is the one that is used originally in a W124.
Old 7th January 2014, 18:23   #30
BHPian

I have Xylo mEagle, 3.5 yrs with ~90000 KMs, all services & repairs done only at MMASS.

Though I didnt notice any major problem in this respect, but I have planned to change the engine and gear mountings, which Im sure would reduce the overall vibrations. but at my last visit the necessary parts was unavailable at workshop. the total estimated cost would be below 4000.

today I came across this thread, and then randomly googled about engine mountings. Found this company http://www.parulrubber.com/product-xylo-74.htm offering various parts of different vendors. (Im no way associated with them!). Im sure there are many other local companies.

regards,

Last edited by pcpranav : 7th January 2014 at 18:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks