Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:15   #1
BANNED

Detecting worn engine mounts

hey bhpians, i have question that what are the effective methods to detect worn engine mounts.whats the cost of replacing them and what are harms of driving car with worn out mounts
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:18   #2
BHPian

Hi

In case you have excessive vibration in your engine, then 8/10 times it will be worn out engine mounts.
Old 23rd March 2008, 19:28   #3
BHPian

There really isnt a dead certain way of detecting worn out engine mounts. As Amit Punjani posted, vibrations as well as noise are (sometimes) the outcome of worn out engine mounts.

Check if the engine shakes more than normal when cranked.
Old 23rd March 2008, 19:37   #4
BHPian

what about judder when you switch on the AC. ?
Old 23rd March 2008, 19:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

i cant explain this technically correct but if you want to see the use/importance of engine mounts try and get a swift diesel friend's or demo car.

now park the car, engage the hand brake. Now open the bonnet, ask a person to start the engine engage the first gear now but dont disengage the hand brake, just try to go forward and see the way the engine in the bay move. repeat the same with reverse gear.

after this, sit in the car and experience the same thing when the hand brake is engaged. you will see the use of the engine mounts.

and i think suzuki has good quality mounts as the vibrations in this car are low.

i asked you to pick this car because this car has good torque and one can easily make out the movements of the engine, and also the way the cabin reacts!

hope this helps you understand the use/importance to some extent!

1.now with a worn out mount the vibrations from the engine are not absorbed but transfered to the cabin!
2.when you hit potholes the engine is more prone to damage due to the sudden movements and is partly absorbed by the engine right? could weaken the mounts, bolts nuts etc!

well the cost for my M800 it was around 1500 i guess the last time i changed it 3years back! and likely for the other cars based on the model and brand!

Last edited by rider60 : 23rd March 2008 at 19:50.
rider60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2008, 20:31   #6
BHPian

Low frequency humming sound

The dead give away of hard/damaged engine mounts is a high intensity low frequency hum or rumble which when compared to a new car will not be there in the cabin. Its because of resonance of the engine and the cabin which is isolated by using engine mounts.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 24th March 2008, 02:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Actually what starts as a small vibration felt on the accelerator pedal or the steering wheel or the gear lever can all be the warning signs of an engine mount going or gone bad. Then again, any or all of these may also not be related to the mounts at all.
I would first take a look at the engine mounts personally if these vibrations do crop up. Then again they are not always visible in all cars. On the mounts that are visible give a long careful look to see any signs of cracks or really worn out.
If they are really gone bad, you would feel and hear the clunk when you suddenly rev or brake. Broken/bad mounts will result in the movement of the engine when suddenly stopping or stepping on the gas.
Conduct the following test;
Seated in a started car, engage the hand brake. Then put the car in gear and let the clutch go, only so much as to let the car try to move but keep it at one place. Carefully listen for any clunks from the engine bay. If there is a sound, check your mounts. 9/10 chances are, they are broken.
Please add on guys, this was from personal experience.
Old 25th March 2008, 02:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
If they are really gone bad, you would feel and hear the clunk when you suddenly rev or brake. Broken/bad mounts will result in the movement of the engine when suddenly stopping or stepping on the gas.
This is a proper indicator if the mounts are gone, seen this in a couple of cars.

If its an autobox then shifting from P to any gear makes the jerks more perceptable(assuming your autobox is in good condition)
Also the car can be mounted on the ramp and revved up, the entire engine and exhaust system will seem to move forward or backward a lot as compared to a car with good mounts.

Other technique of holding down the brake and pressing the accelarator to see if te engine moves upwards may work but then it also may cause more harm to your engine mounts as you are putting more pressure on the mounts.

Also I think when you start/switch of the engine there is a slight more judder..

Last edited by chetanhanda : 25th March 2008 at 02:29.
Old 25th March 2008, 02:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i cant explain this technically correct but if you want to see the use/importance of engine mounts try and get a swift diesel friend's or demo car.

now park the car, engage the hand brake. Now open the bonnet, ask a person to start the engine engage the first gear now but dont disengage the hand brake, just try to go forward and see the way the engine in the bay move. repeat the same with reverse gear.

after this, sit in the car and experience the same thing when the hand brake is engaged. you will see the use of the engine mounts.
Dude wont this inspecton technique cause more damage to the mounts by putting so much strees on it ?
I think this should not be done.
Old 28th March 2008, 00:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Dude wont this inspecton technique cause more damage to the mounts by putting so much strees on it ?
I think this should not be done.

i am not very sure, but then at times when i forget to release the hand brake at the signals i experience this, so just suggested to try this for a better understanding, thats all. doing so periodically or constantly may damage them. employing this technique will not brake things or harm them real bad, unless its tried too harshly.

it was then i asked one of my pals to do it and inspected it with the bonnet open at home! and i saw the engine move quiet a few inches back and forth which i did not notice in other cars except swift as yet!
Old 4th April 2008, 14:49   #11
BHPian

I changed by Accent's engine mounts last week. The engine was having extra vibrations for the last couple of weeks. So I knew that it was the engine mount. I used to get a different sound from the engine when I was driving at slow speeds. So I took the vehicle to the *** and they told that the engine mount has a crack.

They told that the engine mount would cost around 2300 Rs. and the labour charge is around 1200 Rs. Luckily I had the extended warranty and it was covered in that. So I saved around 3500 Rs.

Cheers!!
Old 4th April 2008, 21:46   #12
BHPian

Hmmm what damages could have be done if one drive the car for around 4-5 Km with handbrakes on?
The most visible was smoke coming from rear drum brakes. Rest what else could it harm? and what should i get checked.
Old 5th April 2008, 00:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

Some picture comparisons etc in this thread >

Crosslink :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-replaced.html

cya
R
Old 5th April 2008, 11:29   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
I changed by Accent's engine mounts last week. The engine was having extra vibrations for the last couple of weeks. So I knew that it was the engine mount. I used to get a different sound from the engine when I was driving at slow speeds. So I took the vehicle to the *** and they told that the engine mount has a crack.

They told that the engine mount would cost around 2300 Rs. and the labour charge is around 1200 Rs. Luckily I had the extended warranty and it was covered in that. So I saved around 3500 Rs.

Cheers!!
How many KMS did you ran before the replacement ?
Old 5th April 2008, 23:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

The cost you mention is for a pair of mounts or for a single? What was the reading on your speedo when you changed the engine mounts? Now after changing the mount (s), has that funny sound, you mentioned, has gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post

Cheers!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks