Team-BHP - Diffrence between an ordinary cold air intake and a ram air intake??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Diffrence between an ordinary cold air intake and a ram air intake?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/37581-diffrence-between-ordinary-cold-air-intake-ram-air-intake.html)

What is the diffrence between an ordinary cold air intake and a ram air intake?? Or are they both the same?

I am writing this from my memory, please X-check.
All (short)Ram Air systems are in a sense Cold Air Intake systems.

The Ram air system takes cold external air and pushes it directly into the intake. The pipes have more diameter and the system can draw more volume of air at once, thus suitable for applications that generate more torque. AFAIK, you should be very cautious when you apply such a system in car that has digital fuel injection, which measures the mass of the air.

Even i feel the same,in case of engines taking in more fuel to be burned(more torque and power)needs more air and so manufacturers employ RAM air intake.I have seen high capacity bikes which employ this technology.
ram

imho LXMN air intake systems are much better.

AFAIK, ram air intake means using your vehicles speed to force more air into the engine.

On sport bikes, the air inlet is an opening below the headlights.

When the bike is at higher speeds, air is forced into the airbox, and increases the pressure of the air (sort of like a very small turbo).

This results in 5-6 bhp increase at higher speeds.

Check out the photos

Diffrence between an ordinary cold air intake and a ram air intake??-2005yamahar1e.jpg

Diffrence between an ordinary cold air intake and a ram air intake??-ab004.jpg

Diffrence between an ordinary cold air intake and a ram air intake??-third.jpg

Ram air induction is basically forced induction [like turbo charger or supercharger] but the air is forced by an open pipe facing directly in front of the vehicle and it depend on the speed of the vehicle, the fast it travels , faster is the air forced in the engines, it has no moving parts only the route of the intake has to be designed so that it opens at the maximum pressure point of air when vehicle is in motion[ generally ] exact center of the front end.

So they're actually better than conventional cold air intakes right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vys De BlUR (Post 776803)

Yes...but IMHO, this makes sense when driving very fast (autobahns etc).

At our typical speeds, and inside the city, I don't think it will be worth the effort.

from what i have read in the above posts these ram intakes seem like a "Chotu" version of Ram Jet engines which operate on a similar principle. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vys De BlUR (Post 776803)

Cold air intakes are basically what their name suggests , they are used to get lower temperature air in the engine, cold air has Higher density, ram air will have normal temperature, that why they are located in places where the temperature of air will be lower then rest of the engine bay, Ram will be hard to maintain in dusty environment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinar (Post 776849)
Cold air intakes are basically what their name suggests , they are used to get lower temperature air in the engine, cold air has Higher density, ram air will have normal temperature, that why they are located in places where the temperature of air will be lower then rest of the engine bay, Ram will be hard to maintain in dusty environment.

If I'm not mistaken, if you have a cold air intake pointing towards the front, you have a ghetto ram air system.

You are right about the dust part and chaces of clogging the airfilter, which will negate any initial performance benefits.

You are right, but than it will not be that effective. As the intake for ram air induction is shaped in such a way that it motion of the air itself compresses the air [which will increase the temperature] , just a plan pipe facing in the front wont give you a big difference in power. And you will loose the benefits of both the systems.

So can i have a ram air intake coupled with a cold air intake with a filter upfront eh???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vys De BlUR (Post 777567)
So can i have a ram air intake coupled with a cold air intake with a filter upfront eh???

not much use...

as mentioned above, you are more likely to clog your air filter, which will reduce your power. (if you mean 2 air filter, no way)

And speeds on our roads are not enough to justify it.

Better would be to go with just a cold air intake designed for your car.

Hmmmm... but there are a couple of guys who are running Ram air intakes.. And driven a couple of the rides.. Believe me the pick up was real good...