Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Got the car serviced yesterday and complained about few things like wobbling and AC not 100% effective ....

about the wobbling they told me it was the power steering belt which was lose :-/ , anyways i got the wheels aligned and balanced after the service, after that car is feeling completely different in handling :-/ didn't knew alignment and balancing can make such difference. anyways didn't got any chance to chk the wobbling problem as it occures only after 120. will try it out in weekends and let u guys know.
about the AC thing they did something and now its better than before, wanted to get the oil and oil filter changed but oil filter was not available for 1.6 lol. so only the oil was changed

again thanks everyone for suggestions.
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

good to hear that your problems were sorted out rahul

loose power steering belt sounds a bit odd though. guess some last minute checks were left out at the factory.

were there any charges or was everything done under free service ?
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
good to hear that your problems were sorted out rahul

loose power steering belt sounds a bit odd though. guess some last minute checks were left out at the factory.

were there any charges or was everything done under free service ?
Dunno the fan belt was lose or they were giving some stupid excuse hehe ....

I have to pay some 700 bucks for the oil, that all.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:49   #19

I also got back my vehicle after first service today. I had asked the service adviser about oil change, and was told it is not at all required and would cost around Rs 1500. Strange that you got it for Rs 700, if that was the case I would have got it done.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_mahu View Post
I also got back my vehicle after first service today. I had asked the service adviser about oil change, and was told it is not at all required and would cost around Rs 1500. Strange that you got it for Rs 700, if that was the case I would have got it done.
mostly they also flush the engine and charge some obscene rates for the solvent.

also rahul mentioned that it was only for oil and not the filter
Old 4th April 2008, 00:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Got the car serviced yesterday and complained about few things like wobbling and AC not 100% effective ....

about the wobbling they told me it was the power steering belt which was lose :-/ , anyways i got the wheels aligned and balanced after the service, after that car is feeling completely different in handling :-/ didn't knew alignment and balancing can make such difference. anyways didn't got any chance to chk the wobbling problem as it occures only after 120. will try it out in weekends and let u guys know.
about the AC thing they did something and now its better than before, wanted to get the oil and oil filter changed but oil filter was not available for 1.6 lol. so only the oil was changed

again thanks everyone for suggestions.
Glad that your car is now running fine.

Power steering belt causing the wheels to wobble
Old 5th April 2008, 15:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_mahu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
mostly they also flush the engine and charge some obscene rates for the solvent.

also rahul mentioned that it was only for oil and not the filter
yeah and i also asked them not to put any solvent in the oil of any kind ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Glad that your car is now running fine.

Power steering belt causing the wheels to wobble
thats wat i was thinking, they were just trying to convince me that the problem has been sorted out hehe

Anyways tested the car yesterday till 120Kmph and there wasn't any wobbling so i guess the problem was due to balancing
Old 5th April 2008, 17:24   #23
BHPian

Hey everyone. I have a question here.

My car has got punctures some time back (Rear left tyre) and even the tyres were changed quite a while back. No alignment or balancing was done. Recently when i went for alignment as 10K kms since the last alignment were up, the tyre guy said no need for balancing if there is no wobbling in the car.

After the punctures are fixed, no balancing has been done and i dont think they fit it exactly the same way as it was.

There is no wobbling in my car so i only got the alignment done and the car drives straight on a line without any pulling. Do i need tyre balancing?
Old 5th April 2008, 17:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Xehaust.The front 2 tyres if balanced without any need for weights there wont be any steering vibration and the rear tyres even if unbalanced wont cause any problem.But remember when u rotate your tyres and if the back unbalanced tyres come in the front then the steering vibration will start.
As a rule when you get alignment done,get the balancing checked.
Ask them to mount the tyres on the balancing machine without removing any previous weights and check out the balancing.If its perfect let it remain how it is.
Even if it shows that 5 grams of weight need to be added.Ask him to remove the old weights and rebalance the entire thing.
Even a 5 gram unbalance will lead to a little undesirable steering vibration at high speeds.
Old 5th April 2008, 18:06   #25
BHPian

Thanks humyum but i dint understand anything about the weights stuff. Whats that?
Guess ive never seen balancing before so i dont know.

Anyway, im guessing that this means that as of now, im fine, but in the future, if i get rotation done, balancing should be checked. Am i right?
Old 5th April 2008, 18:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Thanks humyum but i dint understand anything about the weights stuff. Whats that?
Guess ive never seen balancing before so i dont know.

Anyway, im guessing that this means that as of now, im fine, but in the future, if i get rotation done, balancing should be checked. Am i right?
Weights is what is added to the wheel on either side of the rim to balance the imbalance of the entire rotating mass which would lead to steering vibration.

Things in your car are vibration free because your rear tyre was puntured,removed and fixed back at the same rear left location.Hence no problem.
So next time when u get an alignment done,get all the wheel balanced,rotated and follow this practice every 5 thousand k.That is what i do.
Old 5th April 2008, 20:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the punctures are fixed, no balancing has been done and i dont think they fit it exactly the same way as it was.

There is no wobbling in my car so i only got the alignment done and the car drives straight on a line without any pulling. Do i need tyre balancing?
First understand the difference between Balancing & Alignment & what happens with both & then decide whether you need to balance the wheels or not.

Wheel Balancing is needed when you face a steering wobbles at high speeds (usually above 100) which is resulted mainly by wheels going into bumps/potholes & getting disbalanced or rims getting bent. If you face a high-speed wobbling problem then get all 4 wheels balanced & the problem should go away. If it doesn't, then inspect the sidewalls on all 4 tyres to see if they've developed any bulges which are the other cause of disbalance & wobbling.

Wheel Alignment problem is when your car when travelling in a straight line on a level road does not track straight but gets pulled to either Left or Right. You need to have the alignment adjusted to ensure that the car tracks straight.

Depending on these symptoms, decide what your car needs.

Quote:

To correct the balancing of a wheel weights are applied on to the wheels as detected by the Balancing Machine.

If your car's settering does not wobble then you're fine but yes when doing rotation, balacing & alignment are recommended.
Old 6th April 2008, 02:18   #28
BHPian

@irhaghava, i know what both are and why they are done. Got the alignment done as the car was pulling towards the rest but left out balancing as there was no wobbling present.
What i was confirming is whether i should have got balancing done. There are no bulges of any sort on my tyres and i inspect them from time to time and air pressure is checked every week.

Anyways, Thank you for the information and the prompt reply. This is why BHP is so enjoyable. Users are always ready to help and prompt as well.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

tested the car till 150 and now its perfectly fine
Old 7th April 2008, 12:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool
I have to pay some 700 bucks for the oil, that all.
They changed the oil without changing the oil filter ? I would think that these 2 need to be changed simultaneously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks