Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 00:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

wobbling/vibration problem in palio 1.6

My car(Palio stile 1.6) has just completed 1000kms so, today we decided to go to vellore to have lunch lol and also test the car on GQ .

Previously i had taken it to max 100-105kmph because of runin in. Today i pushed it little more to 140-150kmph but after 120 there was some vibration in the steering. and the front section of car was shaking a little, felt like tyre wobbling.

I have changed the stock tyres to Yokos ES-100 195/60 14 . But didn't got it aligned or balanced as the shopkeeper said its not neceesary and will be required only after 5k kms. as i was also in hurry so just got tyres replaced.

is this problem is because of alignment or balancing of the wheel ?
ROC from this forum suggested that this maybe because of front brake disk :( ??
I had checked the tyre pressure 12-15 days before, 29Psi in all 4 tyres. Is wobbling posible because of low tyre pressure ? is 29Psi is correct for this tyre and car ?

Also the car was not pulling as much as i expected in 5th gear. it is very fast till 120 but after that very slow progress, we were 5 people in the car and tried it even without AC. can this because of wider tyres and low pressure, can tyres make such a difference. as another TBHP user bottle told me the his car(same model) reached 170kmph easily and very fast.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 31st March 2008, 00:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wobble is due to balancing issues, get the wheels balanced properly & it'll disappear.
Wobble/Judder due to discs happens when you brake hard & the brakes get warped. So it cannot happen when traveling normally, but will occur only under braking.
Old 31st March 2008, 00:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have changed the stock tyres to Yokos ES-100 195/60 14 . But didn't got it aligned or balanced as the shopkeeper said its not neceesary and will be required only after 5k kms. as i was also in hurry so just got tyres replaced.
rahul i think you should have gotten the tyres balanced and alligned while changing them, anyways get it checked at service center
Old 31st March 2008, 00:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Wobble is due to balancing issues, get the wheels balanced properly & it'll disappear.
Wobble/Judder due to discs happens when you brake hard & the brakes get warped. So it cannot happen when traveling normally, but will occur only under braking.
Thanks iraghava, i was also thinking of same have done hard braking and never felt any judder or wobble. actually car feels rock stable while braking. the wobbling occurs only after 120-125kmph and keeps on increasing after 140-145kmph its unbearable and i had to slow down the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
rahul i think you should have gotten the tyres balanced and alligned while changing them, anyways get it checked at service center
hmmmm....... yup will complain about it in the first service which is due this week
wheel balancing and alignment is done at the service center ??

Last edited by Rahulkool : 31st March 2008 at 00:51.
Old 31st March 2008, 00:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

So it's definetely a balancing issue, go get it sorted. And don't believe what the tyre-wallah tells you, balancing is needed everytime you fit on a new tyre irrespective of any other factor.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

One piece of advice buddie,whenever you change the tires it is always good that you get your balancing done.If the guys there says its only required later its not to save your money but due to their lack of time.You loose some tread too in this exercises.
ram
Old 31st March 2008, 11:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thumb rule: Balance your car tyres, atleast the front ones, in case they are refitted or if you get a puncture.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Also give time to the engine to open up, it will do serious speeds relatively easily... just give it time to bed in properly.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanks everyone, will get it balanced after first service.

wat about power issue ? wat sud be the reason ?
also there is a noticeable drop in power when switching on the AC. but bottle says even in his palio 1.2 that doesn't happen.

Another thing is when the car is stationary ie in neutral, when i press the accelarator there is slight delay in rev build up, is that normal ??
Old 31st March 2008, 11:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

Another thing is when the car is stationary ie in neutral, when i press the accelarator there is slight delay in rev build up, is that normal ??
To my knowledge, a rev lag in neutral is not normal. Just check if your air filter assembly is all right.
Old 31st March 2008, 17:24   #11
BHPian

i think you should thank "drive by wire" technology for the rev lag. i dont see it happening on all MPFI cars.
Old 31st March 2008, 19:50   #12

Rahul, hope you will get the balancing done soon.
My dealer told that balancing is required whenever tyre is changed, wheel alignment can be done once I complete 5k. So had the balancing done when I changed the tyres.

I also feels my Palio lacks outright acceleration, particularly after seeing my friends baleno and Ikon 1.6.

@flipsyde, I thought "drive by wire" feature was in Palio 1.9 diesel. Is it there in 1.6 petrol?
Old 1st April 2008, 17:12   #13
BHPian

Well just my two cents, but how will that make any difference to a brand new car which is not even properly runned in? and i am talking about all the new cars in general, where some of us go for new set of rubbers immediately after taking delivery. OT: TBhpain Amey has a practice of changing the stock tires almost immediately, everytime he gets a new car and he gets the balancing and alignment done only at the time of servicing and not at the time of actually fitting the new tires.

Dhaval
Old 1st April 2008, 17:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Well just my two cents, but how will that make any difference to a brand new car which is not even properly runned in? and i am talking about all the new cars in general, where some of us go for new set of rubbers immediately after taking delivery. OT: TBhpain Amey has a practice of changing the stock tires almost immediately, everytime he gets a new car and he gets the balancing and alignment done only at the time of servicing and not at the time of actually fitting the new tires.

Dhaval
WHATWhen people remove tyres during a punture,they mark the position on the rim and the tyre and align it back properly in the same position after the punture job so that the rim and tyre are in the same position as before and balancing is not changed.
Even if u dont align the old tyre and the rim back in the same position u ll require balancing and if a patchwork is carried out on the tyre than even if u fix it back in the same position u ll require balancing.
When u fix a new tyre the balancing is obviously changed as the balancing of the old tyre(hot spots) bla bla is different from the weights a new tyre requires.
So fixing new tyres and not getting the balancing done = DUH = running on unbalanced tyres all the while on all the tyres till u actually get it balanced.
Old 1st April 2008, 17:45   #15
BHPian

Yes i am well aware of, that incase there is a puncture the tires need to be balanced. But all i was saying is that incase of a brand new car, and new tires(as in new tires fitted) even if balancing not done in the first place is not a cause of worry or much concern. As someone has stated in the earlier post that ignore the tire wallah, but all the tire wallahs always say the same thing..anyways now i also think that its better not to believe them.

Dhaval

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks