Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2008, 18:51   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Hey Karthik, i know you're not looking forward to doing this but is it possible to have 2 maps on the ecu where in it lets you switch between fuel economy mode and performance mode with the flick of a switch?

To what extent can a VTEC engine be made more FE than it already is, without that setup being harmful to the engine?

I feel many would prefer a setup like this as it lets the owner enjoy the best of both worlds.

Shan2nu
You can tune your single map for economy as well as power,
Economy in sense throttle < 40% or < 4000 RPM, you can tune your map up to a particular load point to run 14.7 A.F.R in closed loop or even slightly leaner 15.1 AFR, depending upon engine combination, c.r etc, usually in city bumper to bumper traffic you don't get chance to rev above 4000 rpm, so you can tune those areas for good fuel economy,anything above that you can tune for sheer performance. but if you have option for 2 different maps you can run richer mixture at <4000 rpm for added grunt at lower rpm.
Old 6th April 2008, 19:54   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Economy in sense throttle < 40% or < 4000 RPM, you can tune your map up to a particular load point to run 14.7 A.F.R in closed loop or even slightly leaner 15.1 AFR, depending upon engine combination, c.r etc, usually in city bumper to bumper traffic you don't get chance to rev above 4000 rpm, so you can tune those areas for good fuel economy,anything above that you can tune for sheer performance. but if you have option for 2 different maps you can run richer mixture at <4000 rpm for added grunt at lower rpm.
It would be ideal to run closed loop in part throttle. But i dont think this is possible in the RD Ecu
Old 7th April 2008, 01:37   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

What value-add would having 2 maps - stock and performance, have? If there's a requirement towards fuel economy, switching to the stock ECU does the trick. RD's ECU is for performance.
Old 7th April 2008, 02:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
What value-add would having 2 maps - stock and performance, have? If there's a requirement towards fuel economy, switching to the stock ECU does the trick. RD's ECU is for performance.
This would help only in a modded car. The stock ECU is not mapped for mods, leave alone heavy mods. The same ECU cannot be reflashed in most cars too, thats why they would invest in a RD ECU. To enjoy the mods to an optimum it would be imperative to have two maps loaded, as we are discussing for city or economy driving or for the racer boy in you.
And who would not mind an addon?
Old 7th April 2008, 09:45   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Mahesh,

It would all depend on the user and what mods he is running. In my case I would like it the following way :

1> Stock ECU

2> Map1 Tuned for Optimal FE without activating Boost- for Wifey , driver and Valets.

3> Map 2 Street performance with acceptable FE levels

4> Map 3 Purely for Dragging - who cares about FE

This to me is very important as once setup I dont need to depend on anyone. In existing scenario you have to keep going back to the tuner for even the slightest changes which is time consuming(also you may or may not have to pay him for every change depending on the relation and arrangement you have).

Viper
Old 7th April 2008, 10:26   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post

.. as once setup I dont need to depend on anyone.
That utility makes sense.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:20   #67
BHPian

Ford_Rocam has a point. As you guys can see the map is like a grid. If i were to map a car, i would keep the part of the map that is used in street on the leaner side with ignition to go with it. The part of the map that is used when driving aggressively can be mapped for best performance.

But anyway, if you guys really thing its needed , integrating the feature on the RD0601 is a possiblity.

@ram - okay , i will post that data soon.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how does all this translate to the actual driving experience. Will there still be a switch or will the maps be altered based on "engine rpm and throttle pressure"?

Shan2nu
Old 7th April 2008, 12:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Three mode that I would like:
1.Economy
2.Sport
3.RACE
Old 8th April 2008, 00:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkarthik View Post
But anyway, if you guys really thing its needed , integrating the feature on the RD0601 is a possiblity.
Oh Goody Goody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
1.Economy
2.Sport
3.RACE
You hit the nail on the head. Instead of talking gibberish and confusing the hell out of a lot of people reading this (as well as ourselves) thats the three modes which even I would like to see.
Old 8th April 2008, 00:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
1.Economy
2.Sport
3.RACE
Exactly!!

RACE when the end justifies the means.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Couple of queries - Is the vehicle's CEL connected to the RD ECU? Is there a "Limp mode". Just trying to figure out what happens if one of the sensors connected to the RD ECU malfunctions. Also, how easy is it to put the stock ECU back in the loop in case of emergencies?
Old 8th April 2008, 17:29   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Couple of queries - Is the vehicle's CEL connected to the RD ECU? Is there a "Limp mode". Just trying to figure out what happens if one of the sensors connected to the RD ECU malfunctions. Also, how easy is it to put the stock ECU back in the loop in case of emergencies?
The original ECU remains in the car, and we provide a dash mounted switch using which you can toggle between original ECU and RD ECU.

We have a built-in mode which will ensure you are not stranded in case of a sensor failure, execpt for the most critical ones which render even the orignal ECU useless .. We do not connect to the orignal MIL.

We do provide a backup stock-connector to hardwire it back to original ECU, it should take less than 20 seconds.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. That pretty much covers all the bases!!
Old 9th April 2008, 11:41   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I think the only reason the switchable maps options was taken out from the RD 0601 was because most prospective buyers of the ECU's were thoroughbred racers who either ran on a stock ECU or custom race map for drags, rallies etc. They weren't keen on switching to FE mode, street mode etc. And when the manufacturer feels that one of the features is not being used by the end user at all, it doesn't really make any sense whatsover to provide it. Unless more commonners come forward to buy these ECU and demand variable maps, it doesn't make sense for Rdk to provide them.

I think the valet mode (revv limiter kicks in at 2,500 rpm) is a fantastic feature. One can tuck away the switch in a place only the owner knows. This keeps the car safe from reckless friends and the valet guys. Besides, I at times have used the valet mode itself to gain better FE as you cannot go over 2.5k.

The RD0601 also comes with launch control. All one needs to do is ask Karthik to enable it. I got to get mine set too.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 9th April 2008 at 11:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks