Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 18:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
OT: On my way back, while I was fiddling with the a/c settings, a KSRTC bus took out the left ORVM. Luckily, all the assembly is in place and only the mirror is broken. Ford estimates the damage to be 500 Rs.
Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. An APSRTC bus took away my right side ORVM and luckily just like you only my mirror came out and fell on the road and the assembly is as it is. After market quoted Rs.150 for the same. So my depression levels have really come down
Old 1st April 2010, 16:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Update to my A/C Issue.

The issue never got resolved properly till now and they keep changing the heating unit at every service (thanks to extended warranty).

I had got my car serviced on Mar 23rd at Lathangi Ford. Got the car back and I could hear a tuck-tuck sound from under the dashboard. Traced it to the heater solenoid. Aparantly, the service guy had by-passed the heater (exactly what dashoin talked about) inorder to solve the A/C problem and conveniently forgot to inform me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
Before anything else, check the coolant in the car. The diverter valve uses the coolant for the heating function. If it is broken ( most likely), coolant would have also leaked out.
In case you would like to check it out yourself, look towards the RHS of the engine. You will see 2 rubber hoses going towards the cabin. The valve would have broken off at the point where the pipes end.
In case you can get it replaced under the Maintenance plan or warranty, it would be better to go to Ford ***. In case your car is not covered under any of these and you dont want the heater, join the 2 hoses together. One of the hoses also has connections for coolant temperature - it will continue to work even after you bypass it.

I had it replaced once outside - after that bypassed it and have run like that for about a year now without any problems - except missing the heater in Dilli ki sardi. Seen a few more cars with the valve bypassed.

Went to Lathangi today to get it resolved. I had already spoken to Mr. Venkat, the service manager yesterday and he assured me a quick turnaround. But this morning, had to wait 30 min for the work to start. The time taken for the actual work was under 10min, but to get the bill and car delivery, there was another 45 min wait .
In short, I had to waste 1hr 15 min for a 10 min job, not to mention the time taken to drive across bangalore to reach the service center.

Does anyone have any high level contacts at Ford India? I want to give them a piece of my mind. Also, I want to suggest a quick service desk where they can sort out minor issues without making the customer wait for hours.

Apparently, Metro Ford is also similar. I had stopped there to get the wiper blades replaced and the service adviser said it'll take him a min of 45 min to get it replaced and give back the car. Went to an outside accessory shop and finished the job in 2 min.

Last edited by Jaguar : 1st April 2010 at 16:24.
Old 1st April 2010, 20:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have bypassed the heating in my Ikon too, 5 years ago. The cooling has been working just fine, never any issues in this regard.

Just curious to know, have these heating system problems ever cropped up in the Ford Fusion or Fiesta? If the answer is in the negative, can these climate control systems be retrofitted on the Ikon?

@ Mustang.101, your comments

Last edited by mooza : 1st April 2010 at 20:27.
Old 5th April 2010, 01:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

@mooza, if you bypass the heating, wouldn't the A/C only work in the max (coldest) setting?

Till my extended warranty expires, I plan to get the heating valve replaced n number of times. After that, plan to visit any competent A/C mech and try to get this sorted, with a perhaps a non-ford heater valve which is not so prone to damage. Heater bypass is a last option which now I know how to do myself.
Old 5th April 2010, 07:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jaguar, my AC setting has always been set at the coolest side (max blue color region), so maybe what you say could be true.

Since I do not use heating in Bangalore, I have never disturbed the knob.

Most Viewed