Team-BHP - Ikon a/c issue
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Ikon a/c issue (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/37819-ikon-c-issue.html)

Today was an unlucky day for my car. Got the car back from the second service today. There was an issue with the a/c temp setting. In the min setting, the a/c worked perfectly but if I increased the temp even a little bit, it started blowing hot air (really hot air). If the temp was reset to min, everything returns to normal.

The issue was identified as that of the a/c heater controller valve and was replaced under warranty. But almost 15 min on my way back, the a/c started blowing out hot air and now, whatever I do, only hot air comes out. If I switch off the a/c and just keep the blower on (in fresh air mode), I get only hot air. The worst part is, even if I switch off the blower as well, I can feel hot air near the a/c vents. The vents themselves are quite warm.
Can someone tell me what could be the issue here. Hope this is not something serious.

- Jag

@Mods: A similar thread exists http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-problem.html
I started this new thread to bring focus to this problem as I want some quick opinion before I take the car back to the dealership tomorrow.
Once the issue has been resolved I request you to merge the threads.

OT: On my way back, while I was fiddling with the a/c settings, a KSRTC bus took out the left ORVM. Luckily, all the assembly is in place and only the mirror is broken. Ford estimates the damage to be 500 Rs. :Frustrati

This does not look like a diverter valve issue. More like a thermostat/compressor issue.

On a diverter valve problem the AC refuses to work or works only at the max setting.

On the part where you say, When the blower is off, you feel hot air coming out, I have experienced a similar thing, it goes away when you set the recirculation mode switch on.

Not even one month after the issue was resolved, the a/c has conked off again and this time it may take longer to get it fixed.
Last time itself, the service engineer at Cauvery had told me that if the issue re-surfaces, they will have to call some EXPERT FROM CHENNAI to look into it. His name is Mathew or something.

Does any of the chennai BHPians know this guy? If yes, I would like to get his contact info and talk to him.

I am also thinking of escalating this issue to some higher-ups in ford as my car is just 6 months old and the it is the third time the a/c has conked off :Frustrati
Any idea how to go about this?

- Jag

I started driving back from office to home around 7.45 pm. Switched on the blower. It was Ok for some time. Then all of a sudden the hot air started blowing. I switched on AC but it was of no use. Today morning I tried once again, but the same problem persists. I did use Ac extensively when I travelled to Hogenakkal falls on 03/05?

Can any local service stations can fix this problem? I do not want to take my vehicle to the A** as they charges they put may be exorbitant.

Guys pls advice.

@Jaguar: Was your vehicle rectified? What was the issue? Pls update. It will help me.

@snaronikar: This is the A/C diverter valve problem, which has been reported by others as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 820288)
@snaronikar: This is the A/C diverter valve problem, which has been reported by others as well.

Thanks Ben. Can this be rectified by local mechanics or do I ahve to take to the A**?

I belive they would need to replace that valve. If under warranty, would have been done FOC, but now i suspect you might need to pay.
Here is the link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-problem.html

Jaguar, how did they rectify the issue on your car?

It is a AC diverter valve problem and the whole job will cost u around 3k.

The last time i had this problem, my radiator went for a six.

Or maybe this is just a case of refrigerant leak.

Before anything else, check the coolant in the car. The diverter valve uses the coolant for the heating function. If it is broken ( most likely), coolant would have also leaked out.
In case you would like to check it out yourself, look towards the RHS of the engine. You will see 2 rubber hoses going towards the cabin. The valve would have broken off at the point where the pipes end.
In case you can get it replaced under the Maintenance plan or warranty, it would be better to go to Ford ***. In case your car is not covered under any of these and you dont want the heater, join the 2 hoses together. One of the hoses also has connections for coolant temperature - it will continue to work even after you bypass it.

I had it replaced once outside - after that bypassed it and have run like that for about a year now without any problems - except missing the heater in Dilli ki sardi. Seen a few more cars with the valve bypassed.

Thanks for inputs. I went to local mechanic - United Motors in Rajajinagar Indl town. He told the actuator has problem and needs to be replaced. It will cost somewhere around Rs.4500. Asked him whether direct bypassing can be done? He told yes and asked me to come on 12/05. It will cost around Rs.300. Hope this is OK. Pls suggest.

I take it that means the coolant has not leaked and the levels are adequate.:)

Bypassing is not a problem, but 4.5 K for a diverter valve outside seems to be steep - can you please check the rates at Ford?

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 826204)
Thanks for inputs. I went to local mechanic - United Motors in Rajajinagar Indl town. He told the actuator has problem and needs to be replaced. It will cost somewhere around Rs.4500. Asked him whether direct bypassing can be done? He told yes and asked me to come on 12/05. It will cost around Rs.300. Hope this is OK. Pls suggest.

Yes this is fine, only thing you wont have heater function with your HVAC

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 826204)
Asked him whether direct bypassing can be done? He told yes and asked me to come on 12/05. It will cost around Rs.300. Hope this is OK. Pls suggest.

You can go ahead with this. No more worrying about the diverter failure.
As Jaggu mentioned, the only drawback from this is that you wouldnt be able to use the heater on your car. However, i assume you would hardly be using this at all, unlike our friends in the North who have to brave really harsh winters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dashoin (Post 826476)
I take it that means the coolant has not leaked and the levels are adequate.:)

Bypassing is not a problem, but 4.5 K for a diverter valve outside seems to be steep - can you please check the rates at Ford?

Thanks for inputs. The coolant level was a little lower than the expected mark (gone to minimum level mark). However, the mechanic has filled up with water this morning. Need to check this every week though. The service guy has informed me to check the coolant temperature also. He has replaced the valve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 826526)
Yes this is fine, only thing you wont have heater function with your HVAC

Thanks Jaggu. I hardly use heater in Bangalore (even in winter)

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 827191)
You can go ahead with this. No more worrying about the diverter failure.
As Jaggu mentioned, the only drawback from this is that you wouldnt be able to use the heater on your car. However, i assume you would hardly be using this at all, unlike our friends in the North who have to brave really harsh winters.

Thanks Ben and thanks guys for the inputs. It was of great help.:)

Today, I had been to United Motors, he had bypassed the hose of heater and made direct. Asked me to check whether there is any leakage in next couple of days. I hope the coolant will not leak. He charged me Rs.290 which I felt reasonable. As of now, the car is running fine. Will update if there are any problems....