Team-BHP - Bonnet holder problem in Lancer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Bonnet holder problem in Lancer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/37973-bonnet-holder-problem-lancer.html)

I have an Lancer diesel, But the bonnet holding lever which is used to hold bonnet upright while working something on engine, the lever is seated in a position under the bonnet, ( i mean the gap holding lever to hold bonnet) is cracked. Thats because of weight of bonnet and as i asked my mechanic, he said its common problem in all lancers, since the weight is not balanced. its design fault.

My question is, i asked tinker to weld it, he says, the paint will go off in the bonnet, due to heat. Is there any other method to weld the cracked part in bonnet without paint peeling off in the other side of bonnet.?

What about using 2-part epoxy?
B

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Convertible (Post 785691)
What about using 2-part epoxy?
B

Epoxy to hold up a bonnet?? a big no no.

Do teh welding it self. After the welding just paint over it with a brush.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 785697)
Do teh welding it self. After the welding just paint over it with a brush.

doesnt it require a grinding after the welding before painting??

raj.

@ 71convertible

I have asked this question to the tinker, and one two more workshops, they say it wont hold that much weight. it may be temporary, but not last long.

@ vid3369

Yes, i can paint , and must once its welded. (the cross channels which supports metal sheet outside bonnet) the part which comes inside bonnet, so that it wont appear odd from outside . But the problem is tinker says , the outer metal part also slightly gets affected because of heat.

Anyways , am going to give him a idea to insert a wet cloth inside the channel and outside the bonnet , so that the heat can be controlled there. Also have an idea to weld for a pair of seconds and wait for sometime for next pinch there. It may be time consuming but If not I have to paint the whole bonnet because of small welding inside the bonnet.

I have asked three accident repair shops, They say its risky to attempt welding without effecting paint on outer surface of bonnet. i may be lucky , or not. If not , it will be charged Rs.2000 for bonnet painting in metallic. So They advise all lancer owners to not to use that bonnet lock, instead, they advise to use a thin pipe or rod, near bonnet lock (centre of grill and lock it in the lever which closes bonnet, (have to fabricate a rod with that size) Though it may be odd to use, its the only option to save bonnet from replacing in near future.

Its the one big design flaw in lancers,

Mine is still holding, its been 7 years now- I don't think its a Design Flaw.

Best solution is to replace it, or if you consider it otherwise-Invest a little more and buy a Fibre Bonnet, Lighter.

Its better not to do any Temp, or Jugad work since the Bonnet is a critical component in terms of Road safety, You seriously would'nt want it blowing up, in case you hit a bad bump.

@wolfinstein: I think he is reffering to the rod that holds up the hood when it is kept opened.

@ jayz
yes, you are right. my problem is with that hole in the bonnet where we place the support rod. Thanks for the picture.

@ wolfeinsten
You are lucky if your lancy bonnet doesnt crack there where support rod holds it. But 9 out of 10 lancer owners get that problem. i met 5 owners, all complanied about that problem.

Except that, i like lancer as a whole

@rajivanoj: dude just try out whether this kind of a setup is possible for your vehicle, think its just a bolt on.

hey rajiv,

my lancer has the same prob from over a year.. didnt get it done,it still holds well..
if u get it welded you will have to paint the bonnet... Rs 2000 is bit on the higher side.. haggle a bit.