Team-BHP - Tuning Carbs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Tuning Carbs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/38026-tuning-carbs.html)

Good day folks

I am looking for help from Calcutta/ Kolkata members of this forum.

My friend lives in Calcutta. His M 800 carb one needs some carb tunning.

His problem is that blueish gray smoke ( sometimes ) is emmited from the exhaust. The accelerator needs to be pumped several times while starting the car in the morning even in summer. The FE is down to 9 kmpl.

A few months earlier the car was borrowed by his cousin for some purpose. There it was driven by a driver.He maybe he did some fiddling with the carb.

Before that car gave a FE of 16 with AC On in Kolkata City roads. Never had any starting problems.

He took to a few nearby M.A.S.S. They all threw their hands up in the air and said " We have no expertise or training to work on carbs ". So much for Maruti A.S.S.

Also my friend is new to Kolkata. He lives in the northern part.

So are there any good mechanics on VIP road or northern Kolkata who can solve the problem and tune the carbs. M.A.S.S. or no M.A.S.S. .

Thanks

Spinner Wheelz

9kmpl is very low.
whats the reading on the odo and how old is the vehicle?

White smoke?
Two things
1. there is a posibility that your head gasket is blown!
2. piston rings.
get it checked through a maruti authorised service centre.

carb can be done by any roadside Mechanic...take it to anyone you trust...

Get a compression test done.
Go to a reliable PUC fellow and ask him to tune the carb.He will tune the car as per the PUC reading and u ll get a perfect air/fuel mixture and hence mileage problem will be solved 'if' everythin else in the car including the engine is in order

Hi Guys

Not white smoke . Blueish gray smoke that too only sometimes when the car has not been started for a day or two.

I think the head gasket is not blown cause I asked him to check wheather there was any oil or something like that in the coolant reservior . There was none. If the gasket was blown then the engine oil and coolant would have been mixed.

The car has done 35 k.

The A.S.S around there are in a very horrible state.

The nearby maruti authorised service centre has no proper lighting. The under body repairs are done by touch and feel during the day !

The nearby hyundai authorised service centre has no roof !

I heard ( so cannot confirm ) the in Shah Automobile ( Mitshubishi ) work on Lancers and Cedias are done under broken asbestos roof with all the dust and everything going into the open engine. ( Open engine means air filter kept open ).

As humyum said , I think he should take the car to a good PUC guy and get the carbs tuned.

A bit of topic , but this is what happened I think

In Kolkata , car are mostly driven by drivers. Very less owners do drive their cars. And the drivers take advantage of this situtation.

They will sort the terminals of the batt and say " Sir , the batt is gone and needs to be replaced . I know a good place for good batteries " and they will make money in the deal.

In my friends case , the driver may have disturbed the carb setting and maybe had plans to make money in the repairs. Who knowz ...

Anyway thanks for your time and suggestions

Spinner Wheelz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinner Wheelz (Post 789372)
Hi Guys

Not white smoke . Blueish gray smoke that too only sometimes when the car has not been started for a day or two.

Spinner Wheelz, firstly smoke, whatever the colour, emitting from the exhaust may not be real bad news but is no good news either. Such amoke is commonly found in old run to death engines which have packed in their good share of kilometers. You say the car has done only 35K. Are you sure or is it that the guy has turned the odo meter around? Please be sure of this.
Coming to the colour of the smoke, its good that you have identified the colour. Blue smoke is generally caused by the burning of oil in the combustion chamber. such a situation can arise due to many reasons like bad rings, valve problems and most commonly ill maintained and not cared for engines.
The fact that your car is not continously smoking means that the leak whatever the reason is a tiny one thats why you notice it less often.
You need to visit the mechanic asap to make sure the problem does not get any worse.