Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 13:18   #1
BHPian

Screeching Noise in my Palio GTX

Hi Team,

I own a Palio GTX. After a recent trip to Lonavla, I have come across this screeching noise. The sound is heard while accelerating, and can be heard only while in the cabin. It comes from the right side of the engine bay (drivers side).
While on the Lonavla trip the underbelly scrapped a stone but not too hard, and I remember quite neatly the noise started after that.
Two weeks later after Lonavla trip we went for a long drive from Mumbai to Diveagar. The noise was there but i didn't notice any difference in the cars performance.
Please help with contact details of a good reliable service centre who can resolve the above problem and has a facility to analyze the ECU as well.
BTW is Shaman Auto at sewri reliable. I stay in south Mumbai.
BTW I did a average check on this trip and was amazed. 17.6 KMPL!!!! for a Palio GTX. The only thing i did was constant speed between 60-80 Kmph 2000rpm. A/c around 30% in a total journey of 430 Kms.

She is "Beauty" but has a "Beast" within. I drive a Palio GTX.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:26   #2
BHPian

Did you hear this sound while A/C was on? Seems like a slipping belt.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:33   #3
BHPian

Hi Pankaj,
The noise is on without A/c as well. It is really irritating when the noise starts while accelerating.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the issue is with either a worn out belt or the belt is slipping.

Not a major issue and any mechanic can fix it in less than 20 mins. Dont delay the process though.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:10   #5
BHPian

Hi Pankaj,
The noise is without turning on the A/c as well. The noise starts only while accelerating.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Agree with Aditya.
Radnam get the belts checked.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:31   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. I will get them checked this Saturday. Will post details once done.
Old 13th April 2008, 21:44   #8
BHPian

Could be the belt tensioner pulley bearing is gone. Faced a similar problem on my car earlier.
Old 20th April 2008, 18:18   #9
BHPian

update

Hey Team,

I have been to my local mechanic yesterday morning. Got the belts checked, and changed one of them as it was worn out. I started the car after that and hit accelerator and the noise was still there. After a good half an hour neck breaking exercise it was found the exhaust manifold was touching the lower part of the engine while accelerating and the vibrations were giving out the noise. As I mentioned in the first post the belly had scrapped on a stone and the noise had started just after that.
Once the issue was sighted, the manifold pipe needed some soft hammering to bring it in place. That was done in 15 minutes and the noise just disappeared. Now the car is silent as usual.
You are right Maestro, the belt tensioner pulley bearing was kaput and needed to be replaced. Cost me Rs650 for the bearing. But the noise was due to something else as mentioned above.
One more query here. The engine check light (Spray) does not turn on before ignition and this has been the case from the moment I bought the car. I don’t know how but this thing just slipped out of my mind while buying the car.
My mechanic says the car is running in an excellent condition so need not to worry. I am happy with the average part (17.6Kmpl).
Do I really need to worry about the engine check light or should I continue with the current situation?
Your inputs will be really valuable.

She is "Beauty" but has a "Beast" within. I drive a Palio GTX.
Old 21st April 2008, 00:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
One more query here. The engine check light (Spray) does not turn on before ignition and this has been the case from the moment I bought the car. I don’t know how but this thing just slipped out of my mind while buying the car
Could be just a blown bulb for the ECL (MIL) if the car has been running fine for so long.
Old 25th April 2008, 23:37   #11
BHPian

Hi Pankaj

Pankaj, I got the bulb checked, no problem with the bulb. But let me reiterate. The car is running absolutely fine.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:33   #12

Hi guys, I'm logging in after a long time.

I have a query similar to that of Radnam's.

I drive a 2004 Palio 1.2 NV Sport. Yesterday while driving I heard a sharp screeching noise from one of the two front wheels. I'm not sure which one it was exactly but it sounded as if a piece of metal was scraping against the brake dicks. And I must say the screeching was rather loud.

I stopped the car and inspected the brake discs as best as I could. Couldn't find anything amiss. I drove off again and after a few meters the noise was gone.

Any ideas what might have caused this? My car's due for another service soon so any suggestions would be welcome before that.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Could be a stone that went in and got lodged ?
Old 11th August 2010, 10:04   #14

Hmmm....possibly. But I have no way of knowing for sure. And the road I take when the incident happened is actually pretty pebble-free.

Most Viewed