Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 00:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Carrying Fuel... How?

More than a year ago, I had purchased ProQuip 20L (yellow plastic) for Diesel storage from BlueGarage.in and its absolutely a superb container. Completely leak proof, comes with its own pourer and also a breather-cap. I actually used it only once during a long trip to Bhutan last year, it was kept filled within car and no smell.

http://www.proquip.com.au/products/f...fuel-cans.html : Yellow for Diesel, Red for Petrol

I also have metal jerry can + its spout (pourer), purchased from OlivePlanet, but never used it. I would be more comfortable with the ProQuip one.

BTW, 2 litre Pepsi/Coke bottle would even store fuel, just leave a bit area unfilled. For added precaution, cover the opening using a balloon!

Earlier I had once carried diesel in those white jerry cans available on highway shops or big plastic shops, the quality isnt good, and discarded the can.

What car (capacity / mileage) and route - depends, however in general Kutch trip doesnt really warrant for extra fuel like those mountain trips.

regards,
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 00:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

If memory serves, technically you can't carry fuel in non-conforming containers. In theory, bunks are not supposed to fill up things like a bottle or plastic/steel containers that people use for carrying fuel when they travel. However, this is a rule that is often ignored by everybody due to the lack of a good infrastructure in a lot of places.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 10:46   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I also have metal jerry can + its spout (pourer), purchased from OlivePlanet, but never used it. I would be more comfortable with the ProQuip one.
Any particular reason why you prefer the plastic container over the metal jerry can? I was planning to purchase the same jerry can. Would be grateful for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
What car (capacity / mileage) and route - depends, however in general Kutch trip doesnt really warrant for extra fuel like those mountain trips.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure there will be enough fuel stations along the way. This was more like a backup for a very specific portion of the journey. Perhaps from the Little Rann to Dholavira, just in case one of the petrol stations on the way is shut or something. Every other portion of the journey passes through some big town or highway and am sure there will be enough opportunities to fill up and I don't intend to carry petrol during those stretches.

Last edited by am1m : 21st November 2018 at 10:47.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Edit: Came across the Petroleum Act and I think this is the relevant section: "Petroleum shall not be filled from the tank or the pump into any container or receptacle other than those securely clamped or fitted to a motor vehicle.
The restriction imposed by this condition shall not apply (1)...(ii)... or (iii) to the filling of an approved container, of capacity not exceeding 25 liters when such filling is absolutely necessary for replenishing the fuel tank of a motor vehicle which has run dry and the motor vehicle cannot be brought into the pump"
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 14:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Any particular reason why you prefer the plastic container over the metal jerry can? I was planning to purchase the same jerry can. Would be grateful for more information.
Im not sure of the metal oxidation (if any rust build-up inside) - why to keep that worry-bug in mind!!
The Proquip is purpose build - special plastic, will serve you for years. On similar note, we see special plastic cans which carry harsh chemicals.

I did Kutch about 4 years back in Xylo, didnt carry any extra fuel, and Im sure situations are better by now. Just now I opened Google Maps for Kutch area and searched for "petrol pump in Kutch area", its showing numerous bunks all around, you can even zoom a particular section.
So max 2 x 2 Ltr Pepsi bottle should be good (with a Petrol FE of even 10, you will be still running 40KM).

have a happy & safe trip.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 00:23   #36
BHPian

Reigniting what is supposed to be a very old thread.
Hoping people are still keeping an eye on this post.

Is there any damage or a potential chance of inflammation when carrying a Jerry can full of fuel in the boot of the car?

My car is Honda Brio with a glass back. Hence am worried about potential chances of it igniting, when there is unfortunate scrape or accident from the back.

We will be travelling from Bangalore towards rural Gujarat where the availability of fuel pumps are quite less.

Kindly advise!

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 9th May 2021 at 00:29.
Old 9th May 2021, 09:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post

Is there any damage or a potential chance of inflammation when carrying a Jerry can full of fuel in the boot of the car?

My car is Honda Brio with a glass back. Hence am worried about potential chances of it igniting, when there is unfortunate scrape or accident from the back.

We will be travelling from Bangalore towards rural Gujarat where the availability of fuel pumps are quite less.

Kindly advise!
Carrying petrol in a jerrycan will be not only illegal but also very risky. Will advise you to avoid that.

Brio with tank full will easily have a range of 500 - 600 km. Even in rural Gujarat, I think you can find a petrol pump within this range.
Old 9th May 2021, 11:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post

Kindly advise!
I don't think you will need to do that on your Brio. You will definitely come across fuel pumps even if they are scarce. Your full tank range should easily be 500 kms, why risk carrying fuel in the boot? Also, no matter how many precautions you take, there are chances of something going wrong. If I were you, I wouldn't carry fuel at any cost. Google maps can easily show you the nearest stations and you can plan your range accordingly. Stay off from the jerry cans please. Safe driving!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 19:27   #39

Extra Fuel Carriage Jeep Compass

The fuel tank of Compass is good enough for a 500Km circuit, in places like Ladakh, it is essential if you are covering the interiors to carry extra fuel. The problem is that there is no place in my understanding where you can carry fuel cans outside the cabin. Perforce one has to carry a can inside the cabin.
Can I request your advice on:
Is there an attachment which can be mounted on Jeep Compass to carry fuel outside?
Are there Fuel cans which ensure that no Petrol vapours leak so that they can be carried inside in the boot without fear of smelling petrol fumes?

Most Viewed