Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 13:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Is your Chevy a diesel? One could hand pump only in a diesel. I don't think it would be possible if it had been a petrol.

And nowadays the newer diesels are also devoid of manual pumps of yore..
Yes GD1418. My Chevy Tavera is diesel. I am not aware if petrol variants are available!

I believe that the pump sucks out the air. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 14th April 2008, 20:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Always keep your tank atleast half full. You don't want to run around looking for a petrol bunk during an emergency.
Old 14th April 2008, 20:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

When you said Chevy, I thought of a sedan since I didn't see your garage..

Yes, the pump sucks out the air and fills the fuel lines right upto nozzles/injectors with diesel. I bypassed this problem in my '98 Safari by installing an electric fuel pump before the fuel filter assembly. I shall post some photographs as & when I manage to take them..

Also as Plan B I also keep a 5 ltr plastic can with diesel in my boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Yes GD1418. My Chevy Tavera is diesel. I am not aware if petrol variants are available!

I believe that the pump sucks out the air. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by gd1418 : 14th April 2008 at 20:51.
Old 20th April 2008, 11:52   #19
BHPian

My premier padmini needs Rs. 100 (1.97 ltrs) of fuel for dead start, after which she has gone about 12 kms to find a pump. Considering the views others have given of their modern mpfi cars in a generation when fuel cost so much.
I guess shes a complete sweetheart.
Old 20th April 2008, 17:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I normally never let the fuel be less than half tank before I tank up again. It makes little sense to wait for the fuel warning lamp to light up or wait for the needle to sit at "E". The fuel has to be refilled - so I always ensure I never EVER go under the 25% mark.

This helps in keeping fuel lines clean as the bottom of a fuel tank invariably will have some dirt accumalated, thanks to our weather condition & fuel quality.

Cheers
Old 14th May 2008, 17:54   #21
BHPian

Hi, I am stuck in a difficult situation. It is said that one should not leave the petrol tank near empty or empty. At the same time it is also said that one should not let the fuel in the tank grow too old.
Now, i use lpg to run my car. Petrol is only used to start it. So if i fill in a lot of fuel, it will only frow very old. At the same time, if i fill and very little fuel, the fuel pump and the tank may be adversely affected. What do i do?
Old 15th May 2008, 00:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fill 10 ltrs of petrol and when you start your car the first thing in the morning or later, drive on petrol for about a kilometre and plus, so that the engine is well lubricated and then switch to LPG.

Thus, you shall reap two benefits - (1) you shall not stress your car engine as LPG is a dry fuel (2) you shall keep the petrol in use and circulation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Hi, I am stuck in a difficult situation. It is said that one should not leave the petrol tank near empty or empty. At the same time it is also said that one should not let the fuel in the tank grow too old.
Now, i use lpg to run my car. Petrol is only used to start it. So if i fill in a lot of fuel, it will only frow very old. At the same time, if i fill and very little fuel, the fuel pump and the tank may be adversely affected. What do i do?
Old 15th May 2008, 12:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Fill 10 ltrs of petrol and when you start your car the first thing in the morning or later, drive on petrol for about a kilometre and plus, so that the engine is well lubricated and then switch to LPG.

Thus, you shall reap two benefits - (1) you shall not stress your car engine as LPG is a dry fuel (2) you shall keep the petrol in use and circulation..
Thanks GD,
My office is just a km from home, so i guess i will do that run on petrol. Most of my use is on the highway and i use my car for about 1000 kms a month.
so normally i use only 1-2(max) litres of petrol a month! the rest all is the dry fuel.
How long does petrol stay in the tank without getting bad? and how much petrol do you think is necessary to keep the tank from rusting and the fuel pump in order?
Thanks again!
Old 15th May 2008, 12:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

2 litres would do for the esteem to start & get to the nearest bunk. This seems to be a different problem. How did he come to the conclusion that there was no fuel ?
Old 17th May 2008, 12:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Hey gd, I am also facing the same problem of Petrol in the Tank going Bad after some time, but i have been following this practice regularly but still the Petrol goes bad, because if you have 10 litres of petrol in Tank and you drive for around 2-3 kms. daily then also it will take atleast 40 days to consume the entire Tank but the Petrol turns bad within 15-20 days, and i have even tried getting my tank filled up from various outlets of different companies.
Old 17th May 2008, 16:04   #26
BHPian

I have this bad habit of not filling up the Diesel in my swift unless n untill the needle reaches the last mark of "E". Even though it reaches E i take a chance of driving it another 24 Kms. Here is the catch how much Diesel would still remain in the fuel tank even though the fuel gauge has reached the last mark of E. Any inputs would be appreciated...??
Old 17th May 2008, 16:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
I have this bad habit of not filling up the Diesel in my swift unless n untill the needle reaches the last mark of "E". Even though it reaches E i take a chance of driving it another 24 Kms. Here is the catch how much Diesel would still remain in the fuel tank even though the fuel gauge has reached the last mark of E. Any inputs would be appreciated...??
the fuel kept in reserve is not shown on the fuel gauge, which is around 2-5 litres.

My accent crdi new battery died out recently, the reason given was i was driving at low fuel so the car shifted to battery for power. It is really true?
Old 17th May 2008, 16:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Swift D has another peculiar problem, other than the question of how much should be remaining. The fuel guage is a little misleading, which is because of the tank design.
for the first 150 kms or so from the cut off mark of full tank, it almost doesnt move, ,after that upto 1/3 tank level it moves a bit faster.
Once I filled up 10 lts on empty, and the indicator still doesnt move a bit.
For me, E is a little misleading. Unless I know when I filled up and what it is the min mileage of car, I am not sure how much is left in tank when it is near empty.
So it is better to have more than 1/4 tank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks