Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2012, 18:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Severe Gear problem in i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
Sorry for not giving complete information. The car was bought in 2008 and has travelled arroung 25K Kms. And want to ask you something ... What is an ECU?
Engine Control Unit - Wikipedia Link

It is a computer chip present in the car that control many parameters of the car's operations, especially those of the engine. These include air-fuel ratio, idle speed, valve timing in case of VVT cars, ignition timing, etc. It has replaced the use of carburetor, which was used to handle these things in older cars. However, carburetor is still very commonly used in most bikes (at least those sold in India), and recently some ECU controlled bikes are appearing in the market.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 01:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
What is an ECU?
You can always google it. An engine control unit (ECU), is a type of electronic control unit that controls a series of actuators on an internal combustion engine to ensure the optimum running. It does this by reading values from a multitude of sensors within the engine bay, interpreting the data using multidimensional performance maps (called Look-up tables), and adjusting the engine actuators accordingly.

Before ECUs, air/fuel mixture, ignition timing, and idle speed were mechanically set and dynamically controlled by mechanical and pneumatic means. One of the earliest attempts to use such a unitized and automated device to manage multiple engine control functions simultaneously was the "Kommandogerät" created by BMW in 1939, for their 801 14-cylinder aviation radial engine.

Source - Wikipedia

EDIT - Oops Mods, im sorry!! I jus replied to my quote, I did not see the above reply, please delete my post. Thanks

Last edited by TaurusAl : 29th July 2012 at 01:52.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
One of the possibility is maybe the ECU needs re-mapping. You haven't mentioned how much the car has been driven and what year it is manufactured. If it is a brand new car, 90% chances that the ECU is the culprit and will need adjustments. If it is well-driven (past 40k - 50k Kms), then there may be many factors to consider for poor performance.
Thanks for the valuable input. My friend was telling me that if he changes from 2nd gear to the 3rd gear when the speed is 50 kmph or more the problem does not occur. I guess we are on target.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the valuable input. My friend was telling me that if he changes from 2nd gear to the 3rd gear when the speed is 50 kmph or more the problem does not occur. I guess we are on target.
My Pleasure. More than me you should thank our lovely forum who has brought us all together to share our knowledge.

Cheers!!!
Old 9th August 2012, 01:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
My Pleasure. More than me you should thank our lovely forum who has brought us all together to share our knowledge.

Cheers!!!
Yes you are absolutely right! The whole Team BHP family rocks!

We had taken to the car to the Hyundai Service Centre and the guy refused to accept that its not a clutch problem. We almost ended up in an arguement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks